HitW Fanta Beats 2 - Wednesday, September 25 - 9:00 PM EST

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Queen_Bona

Will it make sense if I only have seen the first Harry Potter movie and it was a million years ago and all I know is just gay joke memes about Dumbledore?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Expecto Dissapointum!
Did you see the first one? I watched about half of it last night. I was not expecting it to be as bad as it was. Terrible acting, terrible world building.

Like you know in the Harry Potter movies when they would introduce a new creature, spell, or magical concept they would take 45 seconds and explain it?

Yeah, none of that. It jumps in so quick it took me a while to convince myself I was watching the first movie and not the second.

Did you see the first one? I watched about half of it last night. I was not expecting it to be as bad as it was. Terrible acting, terrible world building.

Like you know in the Harry Potter movies when they would introduce a new creature, spell, or magical concept they would take 45 seconds and explain it?

Yeah, none of that. It jumps in so quick it took me a while to convince myself I was watching the first movie and not the second.
I hated it. I gotta see if I posted about it on here.

EDIT:

Fantastic Beasts

I like the Harry Potter movies, but this was utter garbage on so many levels. It made zero effort to create a distinct American wizarding identity. The only "American" thing about it was bureaucracy, I guess? Oh, and paranoid xenophobia. Get it? Also why do American wizards use bald eagles and stars and stripes if they are also mandated by law to be separate from non-wizards? They just happen to be proud of the founding principles of the united states that they aren't a part of?

And for a movie called "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" there was very little fantastic beasting. The main threat in the movie wasn't a fantastic beast at all, and the beasts we did see all did basically the same thing - running around breaking stuff. They couldn't think of more creative stuff? Like maybe an animal that went around spreading a pheromone that made everyone fall in love with each other and such.

And how can Colin Farrell sentence them to a summary execution on the spot with no trial or appeal or witnesses? And don't tell me that's related to the spoiler at the end because everyone else who was carrying out the execution was acting like he had the complete authority to do this under the American laws, which is a metric fuckton of bullshit. A country that makes you get a permit for a wand isn't also sentencing people to death due to treason in summary trials by what is basically a cop.

The only good thing about it was the non-wizard guy, but they even fucked up his storyline at the end. And a lot of the effects were blah, but I did like the goblin gangster guy.

I really wanted to like this but I hated it.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Will it make sense if I only have seen the first Harry Potter movie and it was a million years ago and all I know is just gay joke memes about Dumbledore?
I haven't seen this Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

It does feature a non-white haired Albus Dumbledore and the main character, Newt Scamander .

Yeah or Nay on Jude Law?
and Johnny Depp? w/ heterochromia.

"An untitled third film is scheduled for release in November 2021. " So there will be unanswered questions and sequel teases in this movie.

Pigdango

Donator
9pm start increases my percentage quite a bit. I'm going to try to slog through the second half of the first one tonight.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
You don't need to know anything about Harry Potter, though I did learn some things about how it connects that I'll throw into during the viewing.

As for FaB 1? Here's what I remember (though if you want the full recap go to Wikipedia, which I didn't)

Spoilered for Pig (i.e. I spoiled it if he wants to get through the movie without knowing what happens):

Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) is a magic animal dude who travels the world in search for fantastic beasts and where to find them. He's like if 90s Hugh Grant played Doctor Who without the charisma of either.

He goes to 1920s New York where he meets Jacob (a muggle baker who ends up becoming the most likeable character in the movie), Tina Goldstein (bland love interest who is his guide I think?), and Queeny Goldstein (her daffy sister who falls for Jacob).

Then there's a subplot involving Colin Farrell as some sort of magic bureaucrat who's up to no good (I forgot his scheme) and Ezra Miller as an effete orphan with a bad haircut whose magical leanings have been sublimated by his anti-magic religious zealous mother (though I could be wrong but I don't think Captain J is ever mentioned).

Colin recognizes that Ezra has the Force and is like "dude, we should totally hang out."

At some point, for some reason, the Newt/Colin storylines intersect. Newt and Tina are sentenced to death for some reason, but they escape. Then it turns out that Colin is really Johnny Depp as Grindlewald, a really bad wizard dude.

Ezra explodes at some point.

Then they mind wipe all of New York City using a bird's piss.

End.

Here are some clips of the ending:

LiddyRules

9pm start increases my percentage quite a bit. I'm going to try to slog through the second half of the first one tonight.
Let me know where you are in the viewing and when you're going to kick it back up.

Pigdango

Donator
Fuckhead!

Never got to watch the second half of the first movie. Oh well.

Fuckhead!

Never got to watch the second half of the first movie. Oh well.
Colin Farrell was actually Johnny Depp. They made all the Nomages forget what happened but then the baker guy somehow did remember the blond witch at the end. I think that was it.

LiddyRules

Colin Farrell was actually Johnny Depp. They made all the Nomages forget what happened but then the baker guy somehow did remember the blond witch at the end. I think that was it.
I spoilered everything I remembered a post or so above. Feel free to add/correct me as you see fit.

LiddyRules

Please at me if the start time changes. @LiddyRules
Ugh. You.

Actually, something you said last week made me come up with an idea. Should we make 9 EST the default HitW start time? Obviously we can change it but unless we do, is 9 pm okay with everyone?