Fargo - Jerry & the money.

JSHAW

May 25, 2005
Question about the movie, one that I've always had a problem with and I don't think it's really explained in the movie;

Jerry Lundegaard borrows $320,000 against vehicles (which he does or doesn't have on the car lot) from GMAC.

He sets up the kidnapping of his wife so he can get ransom money for her, which his father-in-law is going to pay.

What the hell did Jerry do with all the money that he borrowed from GMAC?

Spend it on hookers and blow at the Blue Ox in Brainerd? :haha7:

After setting up the kidnapping he then goes to his father-in-law and the other guy and attempts to get them to loan him $750,000.

What the fuck does Jerry need all the damn money for???

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Voice lessons.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
From what I understand Jerry was a schemer and kept going from one sceme to the next to pay for the last scheme. Skim 10k here...scam 20k to replace the scammed money and extra for fun.

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
Long Island
Wasn't it for his deal? The deal he presented to Gustafson and Grossmann?

No....It's my deal...

Gimpylicious

Dec 31, 2006
OH
Haven't seen Fargo in a while, but I think Jerry was scamming GMAC for a while before the movie takes place, so the money that he was trying to get with the whole kidnapping scheme was to pay back GMAC because they were on to his scam.

He asked the father-in-law cause if he could get $750,000 so he could pay the kidnappers and take care of the GMAC debt before shit went down.

Ant's_rapier

Finger of God
Jan 19, 2006
Dallas,TX
I re-watched Fargo the other day. The Coens did a great job of making everything look desolate, freezing and unbearably boring.

Great fucking movie.

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
check the "extra" scenes for the answer

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
check the "extra" scenes for the answer
instead of me buying another DVD that i will watch once, why dont you just fucking tell me

JSHAW

May 25, 2005
The Coens did a great job of making everything look desolate, freezing and unbearably boring.
This line made me laugh, because if you've ever lived in North Dakota for any length of time you know the way it's presented on the screen is REALLY the way it is. "MAKING" it look that way? It IS that way.

I spent 2 years at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota and it was the worst 2 years of my life.

There were civilians that worked with us and those people were some of the most boring fucked up people I had ever had the displeasure of working with. There lives were so pathetic that they spent their time on the job starting drama and shit with military people they didn't like.

The bars that were shown in Fargo, there are bars there that are EXACTLY like that. A bunch of local old fuckers that do nothing but get drunk and gamble and talk shit.

I swore to myself on the day I drove out of North Dakota that I would NEVER go back to North Dakota, no matter what.

Desolate, freezing, unbearably boring - North Dakota IS THAT.

The Coens filmed what it is. They didn't create the shithole that is North Dakota, all they had to do is flim it as it is by itself.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
This line made me laugh, because if you've ever lived in North Dakota for any length of time you know the way it's presented on the screen is REALLY the way it is. "MAKING" it look that way? It IS that way.

I spent 2 years at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota and it was the worst 2 years of my life.

There were civilians that worked with us and those people were some of the most boring fucked up people I had ever had the displeasure of working with. There lives were so pathetic that they spent their time on the job starting drama and shit with military people they didn't like.

The bars that were shown in Fargo, there are bars there that are EXACTLY like that. A bunch of local old fuckers that do nothing but get drunk and gamble and talk shit.

I swore to myself on the day I drove out of North Dakota that I would NEVER go back to North Dakota, no matter what.

Desolate, freezing, unbearably boring - North Dakota IS THAT.

The Coens filmed what it is. They didn't create the shithole that is North Dakota, all they had to do is flim it as it is by itself.

Except none of the movie took place in Fargo or ND. It was only mentioned. It was all the Twin Cities and MN. Which is still exactly the fucking same. Desolate, cold, boring.

Ovaherenow

ovaherenow
Oct 28, 2004
I rewatched it on my ipod recently because the boys were talking about it, and I think William Macy originally tried the scam from GMAC to pay for the parking lot "this is my deal" deal but realized there were onto him and he had to find another source of the money for the reminder of the parking lot scheme, which ended up being the kidnapping of his wife.

I do think that the character was always looking for the next big thing and getting money to pay for lost money in schemes too...but that's my take on it.

frago

I am Jacks raging bile duct
Apr 27, 2006
Ya it was for the sweet deal Wade.

EvilMonkey71

Blurka Blurka Blurka
Sep 6, 2006
Flemington,NJ
I rewatched it on my ipod recently because the boys were talking about it, and I think William Macy originally tried the scam from GMAC to pay for the parking lot "this is my deal" deal but realized there were onto him and he had to find another source of the money for the reminder of the parking lot scheme, which ended up being the kidnapping of his wife.

I do think that the character was always looking for the next big thing and getting money to pay for lost money in schemes too...but that's my take on it.
Ding ding ding....I believe that is the correct answer. At least that's what I always thought.