Father-daughter Renaissance "fight" ends in arrests

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://www.theolympian.com/2011/10/17/1842152/father-daughter-renaissance-fight.html

A Yelm-area father reportedly upset with his 16-year-old daughter because she went to Puyallup without parental approval Saturday night, is accused of forcing her to suit up in armor and then beating her with a wooden sword for two hours, until she could no longer stand, according to the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office.

The father, identified as 5-foot 10, 300-pound Freemon Everett Seay, 38, is a Renaissance fair enthusiast. He also donned armor and gave her a wooden sword before the assault, Thurston County Sheriff’s Lt. Greg Elwin said.

“This is extremely uncommon, I’ve never seen anything like this, ” Elwin said.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
You might mock him for being 300 pounds at 5'10 but beating someone with a wooden sword for two hours does require a bit of stamina.

And since I want to be the first to do this

[yt]3Rl46Dpy-P4[/yt]

THRILLHO

Apr 5, 2009
Bothell, Wa.
Good for him. His daughter needed correcting and he took care of it.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I fail to see why this is illegal... Fathers and sons box some times, some times it's as a measure of punishment, or discipline. The dad isn't try to hurt the kid when it's done the healthy way, it's just a method of getting the kid to loosen up, realize thinks aren't as important as he's making them out to be in his head, etc.

If you put iron armor on the kid and use a plastic sword you're not trying to hurt them. Wear them out like a coach forcing you to do wind-sprints, sure, but what's wrong with that?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I fail to see why this is illegal... Fathers and sons box some times, some times it's as a measure of punishment, or discipline. The dad isn't try to hurt the kid when it's done the healthy way, it's just a method of getting the kid to loosen up, realize thinks aren't as important as he's making them out to be in his head, etc.

If you put iron armor on the kid and use a plastic sword you're not trying to hurt them. Wear them out like a coach forcing you to do wind-sprints, sure, but what's wrong with that?
Yelm man arrested for beating teen with wood sword

A Yelm Renaissance fair enthusiast has been arrested for beating his 16-year-old daughter with a wooden sword after she went to Puyallup without permission.

OLYMPIA, Wash. —

A Yelm Renaissance fair enthusiast has been arrested for beating his 16-year-old daughter with a wooden sword after she went to Puyallup without permission.

The Thurston County Sheriff's department told The Olympian ( http://bit.ly/pDlFj6) 38-year-old Freemon Everett Seay put on his armor and gave his daughter a wood sword before beating her for two hours, until she could no longer stand.

Thurston County Sheriff's Lt. Greg Elwin says Seay was arrested on suspicion of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon on Sunday. His wife, Julie May Seay, was arrested on suspicion of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon as an accessory. Court papers says she is the young woman's stepmother and works at the Loving and Learning Childcare Center.

Freemon is also accused of beating the 16-year-old with willow branches.

Yeah, I'd say that was a bit extreme.

EDIT:

This story is better:
Police: ‘Renaissance man’ forced daughter into hours-long sword battle
Video: Man arrested after forcing daughter to sword fight, police say
Richard Thompson
KIRO 7 Eyewitness News South Sound Bureau Chief

Posted: 2:34 pm PDT October 17, 2011Updated: 5:38 pm PDT October 17, 2011
YELM, Wash. -- A 38-year-old Thurston county man is in jail, accused making his 16-year-old daughter put on armor and sword-fight with him for two hours.

The Thurston County Sheriff’s office said Fremon Seay was upset with his daughter, who had run away from home.

According to investigators, when Seay got the girl back to their home near Yelm, he first had one of his other daughters go into the yard and find branches to make switches from.

Detectives told KIRO 7 that Seay repeatedly hit his daughter with a switch but decided it was not punishment enough.

Enlarge Image

Sheriff’s investigators said that at that point, Seay forced his daughter to dress up in Renaissance armor. Seay gave the girl a shield and a wooden sword and allegedly forced her to fight with him for two hours until she collapsed.

Detectives said the girl was badly bruised but eventually managed to send a text to one of her friends, who called police. When detectives arrived at the home, Seay told them he was a "Renaissance Fighter."

Fremon Seay and his wife Julie Seay were both booked into the Thurston County Jail on suspicion of second-degree assault. Detectives told KIRO 7 that Julie Seay, the girl’s step-mother, was arrested for failing to intervene in the attack.

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
PS: after he bested her on the field of battle, he took her roughly from behind in the manner of a common farm animal.

Sent from my iPod.