FBI agent wrecks $750,000 Ferrari, gets off scot-free

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Feds Off the Hook for Wrecked $750G Ferrari
Published October 11, 2011
| Associated Press

DETROIT – A federal judge in Detroit has dismissed a lawsuit against the U.S. government over the wreck of a $750,000 Ferrari driven by an FBI agent.
Judge Avern Cohn said in his recent decision that the crash of the 1995 F50 sports car was "certainly unfortunate," but cited a law making the government immune to lawsuits when property is in custody of law enforcement.
Michigan-based Motors Insurance believes an agent and a federal prosecutor were out for a joyride in Lexington, Ky., in 2009 when the agent lost control of the Ferrari. The government has refused to pay for the car, which had been stolen and was being kept as part of an investigation.
The insurance company's attorney did not immediately return a message seeking comment Monday.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011...d-750g-ferrari/?test=latestnews#ixzz1aY4rJGJx
It must be nice to make a law saying that you are not liable for damage to property that you hold in your custody.
A little background: Someone stole an extremely rare car from a dealer. The insurance co paid the dealer. Years later the feds found the car, so the insurance co wanted it back, since they had already paid for it. The feds wrecked the car and said "fuck you".
The Ferrari F50 was stolen in 2003 from a dealer in Rosemont, Pa., and discovered five years later. The FBI kept it in Lexington, Ky., as part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

FBI agent Fred Kingston was to move the Ferrari from a garage in May 2009. Assistant U.S. Attorney J. Hamilton Thompson said Kingston invited him on a "short ride."

"Just a few seconds after we left the parking lot, we went around a curve and the rear of the car began sliding," Thompson said in an email released to Motors Insurance Co., the dealer's insurer.

"The agent tried to regain control but the car fishtailed and slid sideways up onto the curb. The vehicle came to rest against a row of bushes and a small tree," Thompson said.

He was not hurt, but Kingston needed a few stitches for a cut on his head.

Motors Insurance took ownership of the car after it paid the dealer for the theft. The company told the government that the 1995 Ferrari, one of only 50 in the U.S., suffered substantial damage in the Kentucky crash and is a "total loss."

"At heart, it is a race vehicle" and is not built like a typical car, truck or SUV, the insurer said in a claim for payment, partly explaining why it sought $750,000.

The Southfield, Mich.-based company filed a lawsuit in March after the Justice Department refused to pay. Motors Insurance has also filed a lawsuit to try to get records about the incident through the federal Freedom of Information Act.

The government has been secretive, saying most records are exempt. It only released Thompson's email.

"We don't really know what happened. We've asked for a lot of information," Motors Insurance attorney Richard Kraus said in an interview this week.

A judge has set a June 13 hearing in the case.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Take it to the US Supreme and it should be over-turned, with court cost reimbursed... If not, it's time to start the revolution.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Oh well. The search function sucks, so I don't do it. I searched for "operation fast and furious" and the thread titled "operation fast and furious just keeps getting better" came up like half way down the page.
Should've searched for "1%'er gets his car wrecked by Federal agents hoping to redistribute his wealth to the other 99%"

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Considering the Fed wasn't acting in his official capacity, they should pay for it.

However, we all know those CUNTS stick together like napalmed babies.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Oh well. The search function sucks, so I don't do it. I searched for "operation fast and furious" and the thread titled "operation fast and furious just keeps getting better" came up like half way down the page.
Use Google. Just type in a couple keywords and then wackbag. Here's the return for "ferarri fbi wackbag" and that thread is listed just below this one.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp....,cf.osb&fp=2d2403e1866258da&biw=1600&bih=775

Take it to the US Supreme and it should be over-turned, with court cost reimbursed... If not, it's time to start the revolution.
I agree, this is fucking infuriating. I can see if it was damaged from something beyond the FBI's control or during normal handling, but when an agent goes for a joy ride, they should absolutely be held accountable.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Considering the Fed wasn't acting in his official capacity, they should pay for it.

However, we all know those CUNTS stick together like napalmed babies.
Considering the agent wasn't conducting official duties he should be liable for reimbursement/ charges.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Considering the agent wasn't conducting official duties he should be liable for reimbursement/ charges.
He should be held accountable, but ultimately it's the Fed's baby. This was a break-down in discipline, inventory control, and over-all untouchable attitude. I would prefer huge punitive damages as well.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
He should be held accountable, but ultimately it's the Fed's baby. This was a break-down in discipline, inventory control, and over-all untouchable attitude. I would prefer huge punitive damages as well.
Yeah you're right but as long as bosses keep taking the hit for everything, shit like this will continue to happen. (because bosses, structures, discipline come and go; but rough individual-based penalties make dumbasses think twice).

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Oh sure, this is a $750k car which was stolen, I think that qualifies for grand theft auto charges... But the FBI needs to pay the owner as well.

THRILLHO

Apr 5, 2009
Bothell, Wa.
Since an insurance company is the owner I want to say fuck them, but on the other hand they'll probably turn right around and raise their rates. hm..

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
[YT]KiS-5v5UVfg[/YT]