FBI Background Check

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Question... I can't seem to get a 100% answer from the interwebs on this.

What exactly is on an FBI Background check?
Purely criminal history, and only criminal history?

I have a job interview coming up this week, and the guy who does the hiring told me, "Just so you know, I'm an ex-police officer and I'll be doing an entire FBI background check as well"

I'm wondering mainly out of curiosity because I've never been arrested, or appeared in court, etc.
Just traffic tickets.

But does the background check also tell them work history? Because like everyone, I assume, I do a little resume padding and "fibs" as I call them.

I figure, if you really want to dig around and catch me that I only volunteered once at a Nursing Home and not the 5/1/2009-2/1/2010 that I claimed go for it.
Or that I really only worked as a pizza delivery driver in 2008 for 5 months and not the whole year, good luck finding someone at Dominos who cares enough to look it up for you.

I don't lie about education, but if someone did, would that pop up as well?
Or, just criminal?

Now that I wrote this out, I feel dumb thinking that a background check is going to give them work dates at Pizza places, but It's already written, so fuck it.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
the guy who does the hiring told me, "Just so you know, I'm an ex-police officer and I'll be doing an entire FBI background check as well"
He's a shit dick. If you don't have a criminal record you're fine. Traffic tickets might be a different story if the job require you to drive. Him being an ex cop means nothing.

If he does use his ex copness (e.i. calling up a didn't get fired yet and now trying to scare job applicants buddy to run you through the system) to get info on you he'll be breaking the law (as well as the cop) AND he'll get less info then that FBI background check that ANY employer can do provides.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
He's a shit dick. If you don't have a criminal record you're fine.
Gooood

I mean I understand doing a background check to make sure you're not right out of jail for back to back arson charges, or theft.
When he said that, and looked at me like, "Are you clean..." I said "Well, I've got some speeding tickets and some parking violations" and he didn't care.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Recently had the Mayor here in NJ who laid of some police get stopped. Come to find out they looked up his vehicle tag earlier in the day and now the police are in a quite a bit of trouble. Using those resources for anything than official business probably happens (Motorhead?) But if you're caught by someone who cares you're gonna be trouble.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
When he said that, and looked at me like, "Are you clean..." I said "Well, I've got some speeding tickets and some parking violations" and he didn't care.
Yeah it sounds like he was just trying to scare you into admitting something. You should be fine. If you every apply for a security clearance though do not lie about anything. And a few blemishes on your record won't necessarily stop you from getting it but dishonesty definitely will.

Aug 11, 2005
[video=youtube;xddQH-HR1-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xddQH-HR1-o[/video]
[video=youtube;MiN9UV3_kps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiN9UV3_kps[/video]
[video=youtube;EEwH9UyZGZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEwH9UyZGZg[/video]

damn those dossiers!

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute

I have a job interview coming up this week, and the guy who does the hiring told me, "Just so you know, I'm an ex-police officer and I'll be doing an entire FBI background check as well"

I'm wondering mainly out of curiosity because I've never been arrested, or appeared in court, etc.
Just traffic tickets.

But does the background check also tell them work history? Because like everyone, I assume, I do a little resume padding and "fibs" as I call them.

I figure, if you really want to dig around and catch me that I only volunteered once at a Nursing Home and not the 5/1/2009-2/1/2010 that I claimed go for it.
Or that I really only worked as a pizza delivery driver in 2008 for 5 months and not the whole year, good luck finding someone at Dominos who cares enough to look it up for you.

Or, just criminal?

Now that I wrote this out, I feel dumb thinking that a background check is going to give them work dates at Pizza places, but It's already written, so fuck it.
Don't worry. As stated above he's an asshat and trying to friden you. You'll be fine with your cute traffic violations. ;)

The fact that he's a ex-cop means nothing. I had an FBI check for my current gig. They just wanted to be sure I disclosed all arrests, etc.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
The main thing was I was worried about work history, but the more I thought about it, I assumed that wasn't showing up.

I'm clean as a whistle... Just 5-6 speeding tickets in a 12 year period. I won't be friddened.

And I don't think I'll ever have to worry about security clearance.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
It's an NCIC check. Will tell if you've been arrested, convicted or have nationwide warrants for your arrest. It has nothing to do with work history. Pretty much the same thing a cop can pull up when you are getting a speeding ticket.

Aug 11, 2005
The main thing was I was worried about work history, but the more I thought about it, I assumed that wasn't showing up.

I'm clean as a whistle... Just 5-6 speeding tickets in a 12 year period. I won't be friddened.

And I don't think I'll ever have to worry about security clearance.
ever thought of a radar detector ?

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Yeah it sounds like he was just trying to scare you into admitting something. You should be fine. If you every apply for a security clearance though do not lie about anything. And a few blemishes on your record won't necessarily stop you from getting it but dishonesty definitely will.
Yep. Dude I used to work with admitted to smoking pot on his clearance paperwork, and they didn't even make an issue of it.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009

Just traffic tickets.

Or, just criminal?

An actual FBI investigation, rather than some asshole pretending he's doing one, would for instance give them this post you just made. If it didn't, the FBI would be the most useless organization in the history of the human race.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
An actual FBI investigation, rather than some asshole pretending he's doing one, would for instance give them this post you just made. If it didn't, the FBI would be the most useless organization in the history of the human race.
Somehow, I doubt the FBI is going to hunt down your posts on some fucking message board.

Aug 11, 2005
Yep. Dude I used to work with admitted to smoking pot on his clearance paperwork, and they didn't even make an issue of it.
You can't even work at 7-11 without drug testing , what job is that?

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
ever thought of a radar detector ?
I've known too many people who have had detectors and still gotten tickets. My Dad has one and when I'm with him, it's constsantly beeping. When you go by like automatic doors or something, he ends up turning it off most the time.

I feel like 1 speeding ticket every 2 years isn't a bad average. Considering I speed 100% of the time

Aug 11, 2005
I've known too many people who have had detectors and still gotten tickets. My Dad has one and when I'm with him, it's constsantly beeping. When you go by like automatic doors or something, he ends up turning it off most the time.

I feel like 1 speeding ticket every 2 years isn't a bad average. Considering I speed 100% of the time
keep yer head on a swivel bud and remember the spots

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
He's full of shit and just trying to scare you into admitting shit in case you were hiding something (not saying you are).

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
It's an NCIC check. Will tell if you've been arrested, convicted or have nationwide warrants for your arrest. It has nothing to do with work history. Pretty much the same thing a cop can pull up when you are getting a speeding ticket.
Don's right on the money here. He's only interested in any wants, warrants, and felonies. If you had some stupid kid stuff misdemeanors on your record, that probably wouldn't ping on his search. Job history has nothing to do with it, only criminal history. So, unless you're a criminal mastermind, you're golden.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
when you buy a gun, they do a FBI background check. if you drive commercially and haul HAZ-MAT, you have to get one too

If you go into any port, you have to have a TWIC card which is another one

I have done all of those and they never brought up Wackbag

all they want is your money

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Recently had the Mayor here in NJ who laid of some police get stopped. Come to find out they looked up his vehicle tag earlier in the day and now the police are in a quite a bit of trouble. Using those resources for anything than official business probably happens (Motorhead?) But if you're caught by someone who cares you're gonna be trouble.
It's a big no-no to run checks on people just for the fun of it. You have to have a legitimate reason to run a check, or it's your ass. In the old days you could sit at a computer and run your neighbors, old girlfriends etc. and everybody looked the other way. Now, you get fired for such abuse.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Ive seen guys look shit up and then it turns out the people they were looking up got warrants and they got jammed up. No Bueno.
Happened to my cousin. I had some issues with my license about 12 years ago (forgot to pay a speeding ticket) and after I got everything cleared up, he ran a check on my license to make sure I was clean. Turns out, there was someone out there with a name similar to mine that had some warrants. Created quite a stir because they thought he was running that guy's shit and were about to send backup.

ughh

Nov 14, 2010
I say the guy is full of shit, the FBI does not just do backround checks for private companies, the FBI does not have the resources to find our if cashiers smoked weed in high school. I think he is probably trying to intimidate you into volunteering information.

Just lie your ass off about having a criminal record (if you have one), if you are honest they aren't going to give you credit for it. I got busted for some stupid shit when I was 22, plead guilty to a misdemeanor in some weird redneck towncourt and it has never appeared on a background check to my knowledge.

Furthermore, it is actually illegal in a lot of places to use arrest history against you. If you get convicted thats one thing but mere arrests cant be used against you in a lot of places.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I say the guy is full of shit, the FBI does not just do backround checks for private companies, the FBI does not have the resources to find our if cashiers smoked weed in high school. I think he is probably trying to intimidate you into volunteering information.

Just lie your ass off about having a criminal record (if you have one), if you are honest they aren't going to give you credit for it. I got busted for some stupid shit when I was 22, plead guilty to a misdemeanor in some weird redneck towncourt and it has never appeared on a background check to my knowledge.

Furthermore, it is actually illegal in a lot of places to use arrest history against you. If you get convicted thats one thing but mere arrests cant be used against you in a lot of places.
It's not a company having the FBI to investigate you, it's just acquiring your record that's already on file (kind of like getting your DMV record), and companies can absolutely request the record as long as they inform you before-hand that it's a requirement of employment.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
It's a big no-no to run checks on people just for the fun of it. You have to have a legitimate reason to run a check, or it's your ass. In the old days you could sit at a computer and run your neighbors, old girlfriends etc. and everybody looked the other way. Now, you get fired for such abuse.
it wasn't looking the other way that didn't get them into trouble, it is the logging of each account and computer that has got people into trouble.

you can still do it, just use someone else's password or their computer