FBI probes allegations NBA ref bet on games he worked

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Not good for the NBA is this is found to be true...

FBI probes allegations NBA ref bet on games he worked

ESPN.com news services

The FBI is reportedly investigating an NBA referee who was allegedly betting on basketball games, including games he worked in the past two seasons.

The New York Post first reported Friday that the year-long investigation is focusing on allegations that the referee bet on games and was making calls that affected the point spread on games. The newspaper reported that according to sources, an arrest of the referee was imminent and that NBA Commissioner David Stern is aware of the investigation.

According to the Post, the referee's name was withheld.

The the head of the referees union said it was aware of the probe, Bloomberg News reported.

"These accusations, if true, are extremely serious and we have been in discussions with the NBA regarding this matter,'' Lamell McMorris, head of the NBA Referees Association, told Bloomberg News. "In light of the fact that this is an ongoing federal criminal investigation, we have nothing further to say at this time."

Bloomberg reported that an NBA spokesman and league executive Stu Jackson, who oversees referees, phone messages seeking comment Friday morning. The Post reported that the FBI declined comment on the investigation.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Boxing fixed?

With people like Don King, et al... how can it not be an honest sporting match..."whaa"

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
OK, I never understood the outrage with Pete Rose... unless he was found to bet AGAINST his own team. This one, if proven true is really fucked up. How could this guy think he wouldn't get caught?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
When a bookmakers sinks his claws in, they come with "friends" that are very persuasive.

Just another reason why sports betting should be legalized, IMO.

OK, I never understood the outrage with Pete Rose... unless he was found to bet AGAINST his own team. This one, if proven true is really fucked up. How could this guy think he wouldn't get caught?
Rose's story kind of de-volved over time, when it first broke that he bet he denied that he ever bet. Then he said that he did bet, but never on baseball. Then he bet on baseball but never on the Reds. Then came out and said that he bet on the Reds every night. I think that people are tired of hearing him and just want him to go away. If he would have just owned up to it and took the deal that Giamatti was offering it would have been a non issue.

This by the way would be far worse if true, officials are already under a microscope. Now it will be 10x worse...

Good, fuck the NBA, I hope this runs it into the ground.
But what will ESPN do with 90% of its schedule?

weakside

OK, I never understood the outrage with Pete Rose... unless he was found to bet AGAINST his own team.
No matter what form it took it's still the most fucked-up thing you can do if you’re involved in a sport...

Even if you’re betting on your team what does it mean when you don't? You think your going to lose? You know something the general public doesn’t?

If you do bet on your team sometimes, how far are you going to go to win that bet? Leave pitchers out longer than they should be in? Taking at-bats away from a younger player? Pulling guys off the bench that need rest?

Even if you bet on your team every single game then it calls into question regarding potential trades the GM will run by you to bring in immediate talent at the expense of the clubs future. This isn't even mentioning the potential bribes and throwing of games that will be soon to follow.

It destroys the credibility of the game that is the absolute worst thing you can do to a sport. Plus, it is the number one rule that is taught to every professional athlete when they enter the sport. He had a great career but because of what he did he deserves a lifetime ban.

As for the Ref, yeah your right, which is pretty obvious why that is fucked up.

Good, fuck the NBA, I hope this runs it into the ground.
But what will ESPN do with 90% of its schedule?

Agreed. Fuck the NBA. Loved it back in the 80s with Jordan and Bird but nowadays it's all about ego, bling and ****** culture.

weakside

Well, you guys could get your wish. This could have affected draft picks, playoff positions, players careers, etc.

This could be huge.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
NBA refs are the most crooked fucks of all the leagues, I've said it before, because alot of NBA fans KNOW some refs on a first name basis. When you can name off officials by first name basis and tendencies to be asses then thats trouble. This only makes it worse because for this guy's own advantage he's influencing games.

Tickle The Bag

It's cold out here.
not a fan of the african tree hockey, but nobody likes to see this bullshit in any sport. The NBA has gotta be sweating bullets.

this story is probably going to lead to the death of the league, yet this thread only 12 posts

I guess the NBA is already dead

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
this story is probably going to lead to the death of the league, yet this thread only 12 posts

I think that's a tad overdramatic, but I wish it would happen! I'd really like to see what Sportscenter and the other idiot highlight shows would have to do from October through March when they're done with football coverage.

I guess Sportscenter would have a "Who's Now" World Series best 4 out of 7 or some bullshit like that.

Swamp CAve

aka Fuzzy Dunlop

I think the league will pick up in a few years due to the minimum age requirement. It forces these guys to go to college to a) develop their skills further b) get accustomed to media interaction/scrutiny c) and allow time for guys to get hyped up by the sports media so people know who they are and "care" about them (Durant and Oden being examples).

(Yeah I stole this argument from some newspaper article):icon_mrgr

I guess Sportscenter would have a "Who's Now" World Series best 4 out of 7 or some bullshit like that.
If this happens, I'll kill myself by suicide bombing the Bristol headquarters and take those bastards with me.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
I stopped watching Pro Basketball in the 90's...It started to become too commercialized and ghettoized for me.
ticket prices went from reasonable to insane...