FcbsFM

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
F-U cbs FM, for slowly eroding away at the edges of the Opie and Anthony Show.

CBS took a chance on O&A, gave them to the unwashed masses and life was good. As an XM-only listener in the midwest where we pronounce it "OOooooh and Aaahhhyyy", I was somewhat apprehensive about what the move to FM would do to the show that had been making me laugh since the freeplay week of 2004. The show so many of us were more than happy to pay $2/month to hear.

O&A told us to trust them because they knew what was best for their show now and what was best for their show in the future so that's what we did. And the new FM/XM O&A got off to a fantastic start. Commercial breaks became a part of the combined show but they were 20 minutes apart and didn't wreck the flow. That must have been one hell of a victory for the b-b-b-boys to carry over radio executives that are mortified to try anything new or innovative.

I was damn happy with the new format. Content was edgy and entertaining. The pace was faster than anything I had ever heard and they were able to pretty much wipe out the long-winded trucker calls that went on and on and on.... Driving a truck must be lonely business.

New Yorkers hold the distinction of best radio callers in the US. I {heart} New York callers.

Then a few things happened. Things like Imus and JV & Elvis. Things that make corporate suits nervous. Things that caused a loss in advertising dollars. Things that brought lawyers into the picture. Things that started to chip away at the creative freedom of O&A.

It wasn't really that big of a deal at first. Taking away the racial angle on comedy (bye-bye "Slave Girl" promos) kind of sucked but it was something that probaby had to be done. Then the lawyers took more and more and more. Douche bag is off limits now. DOUCHE BAG!

What the F!?

I've found myself doing something recently that I can't remember doing since tuning in to O&A in December of 2004 - changing channels during the show. Doesn't happen too often. Just a couple of times a week. Usually when a bit is about to go from entertaining to radio gold but doesn't because the lawyers have sucked the funny out of that part of the show or when a bit is promoted then gets gunned down by the fun police.

Wee for a Wii ring a bell?

Opie's right about the lawyers at cbs - they are making edgy, entertaining, topical radio a nearly impossible thing to do and should be held accountable for what they've done. But that's not going to happen any time soon.

As long as O&A are on cbs stations, I'll wish them all the best in their fight for creative freedom on the FM side.

Hopefully, they'll win.