FCC gets it right?

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/30/AR2007103002042.html

The fcc basically says no exclusive contracts between cable providers and rental properties. Fucking good for those of us who rent apartments and hate the cable,telephone, and internet providers that we are forced to use.

Here where I live I'm forced to use CableNet for cable tv even though Comcast's main box is less than 200' from my apartment. And CableNet is about the worst I have ever seen in cable providers. No HD anything, only 2 movie channels, and most of it is shit quality. I would get Directv but you have to get that through CableNet also since they installed the dish's here. I really want to hear that CableNet goes out of business soon after everyone here leaves their crappy service.

Now, if only they say no to the sat-rad merger it'll be two in a row.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
not actually going to quote it, but..

QFT

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
You forgot the "S" Xyn.

As for the topic, I think it's fucking great. Cable companies have basically divided up the nation. We had Comcast here for years, then the market was bought by ATT, and then again it reverted to Comcast.

Cable is about as close to a monopoly as you can get without being an actual monopoly.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Not Quoted But True is a valid acronym.

Can I get a car crash though?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
You forgot the "S" Xyn.

As for the topic, I think it's fucking great. Cable companies have basically divided up the nation. We had Comcast here for years, then the market was bought by ATT, and then again it reverted to Comcast.

Cable is about as close to a monopoly as you can get without being an actual monopoly.
All you have to do is look how cable companies divided up NYC. Living in the Bronx, I'm forced with Cablevision. While my father lives in Manhattan, gets Time Warner. I applaud the FCC for getting this one right.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I saw this story yesterday. It's good news for people in apartments.

My grandmother moved into a brand new apartment complex for senior citizens. They have a deal with some shitty half-ass cable company. The channel selection stinks, it's as bad as hotel cable, acutally worse. They don't have any pay channels. It's not cheap, either.

I am gonna print the articles and take them to her so she can show the other folks who live there. They can at least get Comcast in there.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
All you have to do is look how cable companies divided up NYC. Living in the Bronx, I'm forced with Cablevision. While my father lives in Manhattan, gets Time Warner. I applaud the FCC for getting this one right.
Long Island has lived with Cablevision since we got cable out here. The various townships are finally approving contracts with Verizon FIOS which is good. Since Cablevision is about to raise their rates again, it's giving people a choice. I'd love to see everyone jump ship and stick it to the Dolans.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Fuck. About time. First apartment I lived in, I was forced to use their shitty service. The service was owned by the guy who owned several other area apartment complexes, and fucking BLEW. I mean like 35 bucks a month for 30 channels or some shit like that.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Yeah right now I'm paying $70 a month for about 50 channels. Out of those 50 channels I actually watch about 10 regularly. The rest are religious channels kids channels and just plain shit like QVC and that crap. No PPV is offered and no HD content what-so-ever. The video quality is absolute shit, I'd probably get better reception of the local channels with rabbit ears on the tv. I am so waiting to hear that CableNet is out of business.:arrrh::arrrh::arrrh::arrrh::arrrh:

Jolie

Filthy Liberal
Aug 25, 2002
Virginia
Hey, neat! That article is about my neighborhood.

We have OpenBand, and its rolled into our HOA dues - problem is, if we choose to use a different provider we can (well, we can get satellite, but nothing that would go over one of the wires) - but we still have to pay the same in HOA dues. We don't actually mind their service for the most part, but it is annoying being forced to use them. We are also basically forced to use them for internet and local phone access as well, only here we don't have a choice in who we use at all - they own the lines.