FCC opens XM Sirius Review

Lunchbox420

The Kenny Powers of Wackbag
http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN0841690320070608?feedType=RSS&rpc=23

FCC formally opens XM-Sirius merger review
Fri Jun 8, 2007 7:12PM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. communications regulators on Friday took a step forward in reviewing Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.'s (SIRI.O: Quote, Profile, Research proposed acquisition of XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (XMSR.O: Quote, Profile, Research.

The Federal Communications Commission said it formally opened its review of the deal for public comment, a move that starts a 180-day review clock.

The FCC has a 180-day target for completing merger reviews, although the target is not binding and the agency sometimes takes longer to evaluate major transactions.

Sirius plans to buy XM in a deal that would combine the only two providers of satellite radio service in the United States and has sparked concerns among some U.S. lawmakers and consumer groups.

The deal is currently being reviewed by both the Justice Department and the FCC, which issued both satellite radio licenses in 1997 on the condition the two companies would never merge.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
I would prefer the XM/Sirius Revue where Mel has to juggle and E-Lo has to spin plates.

abudabit

New Wackbag
So do we have to resend all our letters?

Took them long enough. I am going to wait to re-sub until I know the results of the merger application.

D

d123456

Found this on Etrade. It's from Dow Jones. Bold part is interesting.

"FCC Launches Consultation On XM-Sirius Merger >XMSR SIRI

Jun 8, 2007 17:53:06 (ET)

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The Federal Communications Commission on Friday began its public consultation on the proposed merger between Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. (SIRI) and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (XMSR), the next stage in the long regulatory process the deal must pass through to be approved.

The announcement from the FCC effectively starts a 180-day period in which the agency is supposed to decide whether the merger is in the public interest.

But there is a lengthy track record of this deadline being breached, most notably over the hotly contested takeover of BellSouth by AT&T. That was approved on the last day of business of 2006 after 253 days of consideration before the FCC.

In keeping with normal FCC practice, the notice on the Sirius-XM merger is a short document simply noting that the so-called pleading cycle has begun. Generally, the agency puts out a subsequent notice in which it asks more detailed questions about the merger.

This merger has generated a high degree of interest; the FCC already has received nearly 650 comments on it. Many of these have been from individual subscribers who are either for or against the merger, but many lobby groups have filed comment as well.

When the deal was announced in February, FCC Chairman Kevin Martin cautioned that it would face a high hurdle in order to receive the regulatory green light.

If the two companies were allowed to merge, it would leave only one satellite radio company, a situation opponents of the deal have called a monopoly. The companies have argued that satellite radio is not a distinct market and that they compete with the array of audio entertainment services.

During a series of hearings on Capitol Hill, several lawmakers have weighed in on the merger. Most recently, Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wis., the chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Antitrust, Business Rights and Competition, publicly declared he was opposed to the merger.

In a joint statement, Sirius and XM said they look forward to working with the FCC to demonstrate the merger is in the public interest.

The transaction must also receive the approval of the Department of Justice's antitrust unit in order to be allowed to proceed.

-By Corey Boles, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-6637; corey.boles@dowjones.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

June 08, 2007 17:53 ET (21:53 GMT)"

Shaggz

Slaying Zombies
I still don't understand why it's Sirius buying XM and not the other way around.

M

MattBob

XM/Sirius Merger info..

Yes, the FCC finally opened the review process. Time to get to work. You've got ONE (1) month. Search around the different threads for good examples of what to send.

READ THE PUBLIC NOTICE ANNOUNCEMENT! (below)
If you don't properly follow the instructions, your submission could be thrown out. If you've already sent any type of correspondence to the FCC, you must submit again, following the rules listed in the Public Notice and citing the document; "MB Docket No. 07-57"

Once you send your letter, post it up here so that others can be inspired and get involved too.

Here's the wire reporting..
http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN0841690320070608?feedType=RSS&rpc=23

OrbitCast's post.
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/fcc-starts-pleading-cycle-for-siriusxm-merger.html

and the link for the Public Notice (PDF) and all the info you need to properly submit your comments about the merger.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-07-2417A1.pdf

Bad DOG!

fmel.

I'm still a little confused as to why the merger is such a bad thing other than they will again be working for the same company as the hoo hoo asshead. Can someone please fill me in on what I'm missing?

Man, I'd love to have NASCAR back and be able to listen to the NFL games. I fucking hate MLB. Those fuckers have ruined the game for me forever. And who gives a shit about golf? Another lame fucking channel they should dump. I know there are a lot of hockey fans around here so I'll leave that alone other than to say I just don't get it. And Indy racing? WTF? Man, if this merger went through, I'd have O&A, NASCAR, NFL and some SEC football games all on the same service ... sounds like a win win in my case.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I still don't understand why it's Sirius buying XM and not the other way around.
Because Mel is a darling of Wall Street. It's done that way to stroke his ego and, more importantly, to make it more attractive to investors.

ginaf20697

I'm still a little confused as to why the merger is such a bad thing other than they will again be working for the same company as the hoo hoo asshead. Can someone please fill me in on what I'm missing?

Isn't that ENOUGH?!?!?!?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff

Man, I'd love to have NASCAR back and be able to listen to the NFL games. I fucking hate MLB. Those fuckers have ruined the game for me forever. And who gives a shit about golf? Another lame fucking channel they should dump. I know there are a lot of hockey fans around here so I'll leave that alone other than to say I just don't get it. And Indy racing? WTF? Man, if this merger went through, I'd have O&A, NASCAR, NFL and some SEC football games all on the same service ... sounds like a win win in my case.
If you listen to all of the details, you'll only get the additional Sirius
content if you pay more money. If you want the stuff Sirius offers
you might as well just subscribe to them. Fuck XM and their merger.

LilJimmiesMule

Fuck you, and Fuck your family...
Donator
Howard is redundant. Mel is an asshead. Fuck the Merger. XM still sucks as far as I'm concerned.