OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

FDA releases graphic tobacco warning labels for 2012

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Gallery:
    http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/CigaretteWarningLabels/default.htm

2. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

3. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Sailing into the Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

More stupid shit. People already know the dangers of smoking and if they don't
    then getting them off the face of the earth won't hurt.

4. domelogic

domelogic Registered User

This. I mean all the lawsuits brought about over the last 40 years didnt let people know so now they have to show pics, yeah that will do it. You want to smoke yourself to death have at it just dont blame anyone for your own stupidity

5. Party Rooster

I'm confused. If the government really wanted to reduce the population, why would they keep up this war on tobacco companies?

6. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

How long until someone gets sued for having the "graphic images" on the packs visible in public? I'm sure gas stations will no longer be able to display them. I wish the government would just get the fuck out of everyone's business.

7. caniseeyourtaint

caniseeyourtaint Passive agressive douche

Canada has been doing this for years....are the smoking numbers up there any better?

8. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Sailing into the Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

I was thinking maybe I could sue for upsetting me with these disturbing
    images since I don't smoke. Why do I have to see this shit?

9. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Mexico too. We made it a point to collect them all last time we went to Cozumel.

10. caniseeyourtaint

caniseeyourtaint Passive agressive douche

The best was the cigarette that was fully ash curved downward to symbolize erectile dysfunction. Those crazy canucks.

11. Rash Rendering

Rash Rendering Registered User

I see a new niche market for cigarette pack skins. Like apple/mac style colorful cig pack holders to obscure the horrible graphics. I'd invent them myself and make millions but I'm too goddamn lazy. I'd call them SmokeSkinz (TM). Nobody steal that.

12. afternoonquil

afternoonquil Apology Ostrich

I just came up with this awesome idea for holding your cigarette packs, i'm gonna call them SmokeSkinsssss Ⓡ

13. Rash Rendering

Rash Rendering Registered User

You sonofabitch

14. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

Fuck those pictures. There's no shock/scare value in them. They're all ineffective guilt trips that were whitewashed for public consumption. I want to see someone else like Roger Ebert, an alien-looking newborn, and a real smoking related death corpse.

15. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

[​IMG][/IMG]

took that photo about 3 or 4 years ago, the back of the pack was in some kind of gibberish from the pacific rim maybe Thailand

16. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

:haha7::haha7::haha7:

17. CM Mark

CM Mark The East is Ours!

Skip to 4:50

18. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

didn't he steal that from bill hicks?

19. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

So when will the news come out that the new images will be funded by a tax increase?

20. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

Is Kirk Strong the DonTheTrucker of aspartame threadjackings? Or is DonTheTrucker the Kirk Strong of Obama threadjackings. This forum can be so confusing!

21. whiskeyguy

Don's right here. The government rarely does anything unless it leads to either more revenue, more power, or both. They already take around $1/pack in taxes... you don't think they're looking for ways to increase that? Vices are one of the areas where people don't really complain when taxes are raised.

22. Party Rooster

Or maybe it's actually gotten one right after all these years. Smoking rates have dropped dramatically the last 40 years. And don't forget the tobacco industry criminally (forget all the civil stuff) mislead the public about their product. Fuck them.

And I'm guessing the cost of including these labels on one side of a cigarette pack are pretty negligible, and are paid for by the manufacturers, not the taxpayers.

We've come a long way baby...;)

That being said, I think we're pretty close to hitting critical mass on getting more people to quit smoking. The ones that are left do it knowing the risks and are free to do so, it's a legal product.

23. Mobo

Mobo Registered User

Weed is safer, but they won"t let me smoke that either.

(pssst....I do anyways...don't tell Obama.)

24. whiskeyguy

First, is it the government's business to "get" people to quit smoking? I understand the health costs associated with smokers (which is why we need a "less humane" health care system, as fucked as that sounds), but even that I doubt. Is someone who smokes and dies an expensive quick death at 50 more of a burden than someone who is healthy and slowly dies for 25 more years? I kinda doubt that.

Second, yest the tobacco company has misled the public. They've paid for doing so. Everyone today knows smoking is bad for you. Get over it.

Third, the costs of adding those labels are not paid by the manufacturer, their paid by the consumer, and against the will of both the consumer and manufacturers. Now I realize this happens often, seat belts and airbags being an example, but this isn't actually a safety device. It's a deterrent which may not even work.

Here's what's probably going to happen. This law is going to pass, and people will find the packs offensive. Stores are then going to be requires to not have cigarettes on display (a pretty large hurdle) due to the offensive packs (kinda defeating the purpose). In order to verify that stores are meeting the requirements, ATF is going to be tasked with inspecting store displays and fining those that aren't complying. Due to the increase in scope of the agency, they will require an increase in budget. Another $1 will be tacked onto every cigarette pack.

25. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

\

They say smoking rates have gone down from 26% to 20%... but I think it is more due to the $12 a pack...