February Book Club: Killers of the Flower Moon

DrewDown

All are welcome
Driving 12+ hours to Mississippi tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation. I look forward to passing some time with the audio book.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Actually April would be a good month for me since I’ll be sitting on a beach reading for a week.
Sounds good to me. I just hope book club hasn't been completely destroyed by then, as is wackbag's wont.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Checked this out on Amazon and saw this blurb quote:

‘A riveting true story of greed, serial murder and racial injustice

Two words that are kryptonite to me.
It was the 1920's, pretty good chance the injustice was legit.

DiggerNick

Donator
It was the 1920's, pretty good chance the injustice was legit.
I do have a little sympathy for the Injuns. But they did get given a lot more than the niggras did.

At least Injuns have a source of income provided by the government.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I don't think I'll be bothered by it no matter how it's presented.
I'm finding it somewhat difficult to put into words what I mean, so if this doesn't make a lot of sense I apologize. What tends bug me about "racial injustice" writing (and talking about race in general) is when the author infantilizes a group of people and writes in purely black and white terms (no pun intended). I find the condescension insulting to said group's intelligence, and to not acknowledge life's grey areas is to deny reality.

I should note that I'm not expecting that from this book though.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I'm finding it somewhat difficult to put into words what I mean, so if this doesn't make a lot of sense I apologize. What tends bug me about "racial injustice" writing (and talking about race in general) is when the author infantilizes a group of people and writes in purely black and white terms (no pun intended). I find the condescension insulting to said group's intelligence, and to not acknowledge life's grey areas is to deny reality.

You're right, that makes perfect sense.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line

And the type of hand holding writing you're talking about bothers me too because there are a lot of interesting yet horrible stories about the past (let's face it, usually committed by white men) that have been forgotten/quieted over time only to be brought to light by the Modern Day Noble White Savior, who ignores the context and the culture of the period to levy modern day moral judgments. And it's not that I'm saying, "it's the past, everyone gets a pass," or that no one does, but you have to understand the history to understand the story.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
And the type of hand holding writing you're talking about bothers me too because there are a lot of interesting yet horrible stories about the past (let's face it, usually committed by white men) that have been forgotten/quieted over time only to be brought to light by the Modern Day Noble White Savior, who ignores the context and the culture of the period to levy modern day moral judgments. And it's not that I'm saying, "it's the past, everyone gets a pass," or that no one does, but you have to understand the history to understand the story.
Hey, maaaan.... It's right in the word! "His"tory! White male enablers!

:action-sm

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
They say ****** in chapter 2 referring to a dead body

And they do not read Injun like a 60s Injun movie voice sadly

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Downloading the audible.

For some reason, I keep racking up audible credits on my Amazon Prime. It's fantastic, because the talkie books are wonderful, but goshdarn expensive... but so worth it... but I've gotten them all for free, because I just keep getting credits.

Finished the 2nd Stormlight, and I need a storming break from the storminess before I start the storming next one,

Who has to die if this moon flowers book stinks? Liddy? Pig? Whoever. We'll kill them all... it's the only way to be sure.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
How are you racking up free Audible credits?

LiddyRules

Downloading the audible.

For some reason, I keep racking up audible credits on my Amazon Prime. It's fantastic, because the talkie books are wonderful, but goshdarn expensive... but so worth it... but I've gotten them all for free, because I just keep getting credits.

Finished the 2nd Stormlight, and I need a storming break from the storminess before I start the storming next one,

Who has to die if this moon flowers book stinks? Liddy? Pig? Whoever. We'll kill them all... it's the only way to be sure.
In the spirit of the book, it ought to be @HandPanzer

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
How are you racking up free Audible credits?
Beats me.

I started off with 6 credits, bought a bunch of books with them, and I now have 7 credits.

It's probably something to do with white privilege and the patriarchy.

LiddyRules

Beats me.

I started off with 6 credits, bought a bunch of books with them, and I now have 7 credits.

It's probably something to do with white privilege and the patriarchy.
I'd like to think it was Frank's last gift to you.