February Book Club: Killers of the Flower Moon

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
So... We get to start this tomorrow? I just started The Whispering Room by Koontz; may finish that first, then start this one. I'm a fast reader so I may wind up pacing the rest of you, but I may also be a smidge behind.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Almost done. It's interesting.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I can go live in a shitty one room apartment in bumfuck Canada thanks to my tribe, whereas the Osage were all millionaires. Looking forward to when they start getting murdered.

Creasy Bear

Donator
J Edgar Hoover was involved in this kerfuffle. Had no idea.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Digging it so far. That's the thing about the troika, we may make a bad selection or two but we bounce back. The triumvirate would fold under the same circumstances.

Creasy Bear

Donator
I was kinda thinking that the injun murders were just going to be a matter of like 'the white trash lottery winners curse'... where dirtbags come into huge sums of money, and fly off the rails doing self-destructive dirtbag shit.

Yeah, there was definitely an element of that with the Osage murders, but it does indeed look like there was some white devils that just couldn't stand that piles of money were being handed over to dirty redskins, and they went gunning for them hard.

This book goes a little too deep into the minutiae for me. I would prefer if it were more of a "just the facts" presenation like a true crime detectives novel. Enough with the flowery, poetic talk about sacred coyotes howling at the blue corn moon or whatever the fuck.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Digging it so far. That's the thing about the troika, we may make a bad selection or two but we bounce back. The triumvirate would fold under the same circumstances.
And I would have stabbed @Neckbeard already if the Pigumvirate found itself in that situation, but the troika is stable.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Kind of tangential, but I think the formation of organized police departments and how they encroached on those places in the middle of nowhere still relying on civilian inquests would make for interesting reading in and of itself.

Creasy Bear

Donator
Kind of tangential, but I think the formation of organized police departments and how they encroached on those places in the middle of nowhere still relying on civilian inquests would make for interesting reading in and of itself.
"civilian inquests" read: lynch mobs

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I thought these three sisters might be lookers. They are not.

I guess I won't be jacking to the Osage tonight.