Fed Gov't to Back NY Traffic Fee Plan

circpro

No Complaints here
Nov 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/08/13/894938-fed-govt-to-back-ny-traffic-fee-plan

WASHINGTON — New York's plan to reduce traffic by charging tolls to drivers entering the busiest part of Manhattan will get a major boost from the government, which has agreed to fund the pilot project, congressional aides said Monday.

If implemented, the congestion pricing scheme proposed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg would be the first of its kind in the nation. London and Singapore have similar toll programs.

For weeks, New York officials haggled over whether to approve the mayor's idea in time to qualify for a share of $1.2 billion in federal aid. State leaders eventually struck a compromise keeping the plan alive, but it was unclear if the squabbles and delays soured federal transportation authorities on New York's novel attempt to reduce gridlock.

Bloomberg's plan would charge cars $8 and trucks $21 to enter Manhattan south of 86th Street on weekdays between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.

The Transportation Department has been considering which five out of nine cities will receive a major infusion of cash for local traffic reduction plans, and Secretary Mary Peters was scheduled to make an announcement Tuesday morning.

Though the dollar value of the federal aid for New York was still unclear, agency officials notified congressional staff Monday evening that New York had qualified for the Urban Partner program, which paves the way for grant money, according to aides who spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of the announcement. New York had hoped for as much as $537 million from Washington.

A Bloomberg spokesman, Stu Loeser, declined to comment Monday.

The toll plan aims to ease the crunch of worsening rush hour traffic and improve the city's air quality by cutting down on emissions.

Opponents argue that it won't affect driver behavior enough to improve air quality or overall traffic patterns. They also say it amounts to a tax on middle-class New Yorkers who live outside Manhattan.

Even with the federal boost, there are still plenty of potential potholes.

The decision does not guarantee funding, and it was still unclear if the deal struck weeks ago by New York leaders would hold as the tolls come closer to reality. The feds also want to see any traffic reduction plans implemented by March 2009.

The deal struck by New York state leaders was an agreement to form a commission to examine the overall concept of reducing traffic. The primary plan that the commission will study is Bloomberg's proposal, through hearings, testimony and reviews of every aspect of traffic congestion. The group is to make a recommendation by the end of January.

The commission does not have to approve the congestion pricing plan; if it doesn't, it must recommend another solution that projects at least a 6 percent decrease in traffic, the reduction forecast by Bloomberg's plan.

One of the other cities competing for federal aid is Minneapolis, where divers are still trying to find the remains of four missing motorists from a catastrophic bridge collapse. Nine people are already confirmed dead in the Aug. 1 collapse.

The other cities are Atlanta, Denver, San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, Seattle and Chicag

Capt.Caveman

Totally unlikeable
Jan 13, 2005
closer to a playground then allowed by law
of course it is. fuckin jewberg!!! he's making it impossible to work in nyc. if you do trade work your fucked. a lot of us drive work vans and the muni meters were bad enough but now lets have a toll. cause the gsp, turnpike and lincoln weren't enough. All the guy cares about is money. he's not trying to solve traffic problems he's trying to make money. stereotypical!! traffice wouldn't be so bad if they enforced the laws. have some of these traffic savages ticket double parker and the assholes who shoot the lane and try to merge up front instead of waiting their turn. i will hit the car in front of me before i let one of these jerkoffs in. die bloomberg

bethm1b

person of interest
Dec 1, 2006
Just past the line.
So, as I said. Our taxes build the roads and maintain the roads. But you can't use them? They're not clear if it's a daily, weekly or monthly charge. Daily would be $105 a week for a working guy. Fuck NY. I lived there 43 years too long.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
of course it is. fuckin jewberg!!! he's making it impossible to work in nyc. if you do trade work your fucked. a lot of us drive work vans and the muni meters were bad enough but now lets have a toll. cause the gsp, turnpike and lincoln weren't enough. All the guy cares about is money. he's not trying to solve traffic problems he's trying to make money. stereotypical!! traffice wouldn't be so bad if they enforced the laws. have some of these traffic savages ticket double parker and the assholes who shoot the lane and try to merge up front instead of waiting their turn. i will hit the car in front of me before i let one of these jerkoffs in. die bloomberg
I don't think commercial vehicles should have to pay, increased costs will just be passed on to consumers. Cost of living is already high enough. Also theres too many guys like you that need to transport their gear back and forth to work.

However, I'm all in favor of jacking up tolls on non-commercial vehicles. Anyone who commutes into manhattan by car just because they can afford the tolls and parking is an ass (same goes for limos). They're making the traffic fucking unbearable, I've given up trying to drive around the city because it simply takes too long when you couple it with lack of parking. Fuck em, its no skin off their backs let em pay for it.

Capt.Caveman

Totally unlikeable
Jan 13, 2005
So, as I said. Our taxes build the roads and maintain the roads. But you can't use them? They're not clear if it's a daily, weekly or monthly charge. Daily would be $105 a week for a working guy. Fuck NY. I lived there 43 years too long.
This one we agree on. it doesn't matter that everything is overpriced in the city and they raise mass transit fares at least once a year. this will make the city billions not just the toll but the subways and buses. and the buses and trains from nj will raise their fare AGAIN. everyone makes out....except you

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
The way I read it here in the papers is, a car coming into the city from the tunnels or bridges would have the fee deducted from the $8.
So if someone drives thru the Lincoln tunnel and pays $6 then they are charged the $8 the tunell toll is taken off and they pay $2 more which is a total of $8. It makes no scence because a majority of the traffic in Manhatten is from out of state. This $8 is really only being done so that people in NY use public transportation. For someone coming in from Jersey it is only $2 more. New Yorkers get banged for the total new toll of $8.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
The way I read it here in the papers is, a car coming into the city from the tunnels or bridges would have the fee deducted from the $8.
So if someone drives thru the Lincoln tunnel and pays $6 then they are charged the $8 the tunell toll is taken off and they pay $2 more which is a total of $8. It makes no scence because a majority of the traffic in Manhatten is from out of state. This $8 is really only being done so that people in NY use public transportation. For someone coming in from Jersey it is only $2 more. New Yorkers get banged for the total new toll of $8.
This seems idiotic enough to be true. I was just starting to get my hopes up over this plan reducing traffic. Might as well sell my car... I'm paying $300 a month for parking and barely get to drive it once a week.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
You're kidding, right? I don't drive into NYC much during the day, just the occasional O&A event. An extra $2 isn't going to stop that. An extra $8 on top of the toll *might* but probably not. Mass transit sucks. I like coming & going when I want.

UCFGavin

Feb 25, 2006
This seems idiotic enough to be true. I was just starting to get my hopes up over this plan reducing traffic. Might as well sell my car... I'm paying $300 a month for parking and barely get to drive it once a week.
jesus, $300 a month? thats almost as much as my rent :eek:

circpro

No Complaints here
Nov 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
NYC Gets $354m for Toll Plan

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/08/14/895986-nyc-gets-354m-for-toll-plan

WASHINGTON — The federal government has agreed to pay $354 million to New York City to help it launch an ambitious plan to reduce traffic by charging tolls on drivers entering the busiest parts of Manhattan.

New York's effort, called congestion pricing, would mark the first time such a toll program has been instituted in the U.S. Similar programs already exist in London and Singapore.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg had vigorously touted the toll plan to reduce gridlock and pollution, but federal support was jeopardized by weeks of haggling among New York leaders who finally struck a compromise agreement on congestion pricing.

The U.S. Department of Transportation was to announce other cities receiving funds later Tuesday. They had been considering which five out of nine cities would receive a major infusion of cash for local traffic reduction plans.

Also competing for federal aid was Minneapolis, where divers are still trying to find the remains of four missing motorists from a catastrophic bridge collapse. Nine people are already confirmed dead in the Aug. 1 collapse.

The other cities seeking funding were Atlanta, Denver, San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, Seattle and Chicago.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
jesus, $300 a month? thats almost as much as my rent :eek:

The actual monthly charge is $466 but my boss does a lot of business with the owner of that garage chain so I'm getting a huge break. $300 is cheap.

I'm really considering just leaving my keys in the car and having someone steal it to get the insurance.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
The federal government has agreed to pay $354 million to New York City to help it launch an ambitious plan to reduce traffic by charging tolls on drivers entering the busiest parts of Manhattan.
I heard another bit on the radio when I was out for lunch. It sounds like NEW toll plazas will be built. Way to go, asshats. Let's just take the congestion out of mid-town and put it on the other side of the toll booths. Do they REALLY think a toll plaza will reduce the amount of pollution? WTF drugs is Bloomberg on, because I really want some.

Why can't they raise the price of bridges & tunnels, and use that to revamp mass transit?

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
That really does stink. It make work in London but this is not London it's New York City! Worst part is that we'll all be paying the congestion fee wether we drive in or not. What's to keep truck drivers from making up the cost of the $21 by throwing it on retailers in which the retailers with throw it on us?
Well, at least I can take the subway....oh wait...they're jacking up that too!

I hope Ant enjoys the traffic on his way in when the new rush hour begins to avoid the fees. Kinda like the way people avoided the carpool rules when they were in effect for the transit strike.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Double decker roads my friends, double decker roads. Every street with more than 1 lane per direction needs to be double decker.

Capt.Caveman

Totally unlikeable
Jan 13, 2005
the best part is it's going to create more traffic. no one is going to not drive in. i hate mass transit. i'd rather pay the extra money then sit next to some fat shit on the bus who reeks of booze and b-o. i'll drive