OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Federal Judge strikes down Florida's voting registration restrictions.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Hack Hawk Down, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Hack Hawk Down

Voting rights activists got another victory, this time in Florida, where a federal judge said he would permanently remove harsh restrictions on third-party voter registration groups.

Those restrictions, passed as part of a massive electoral overhaul and spearheaded by Gov. Rick Scott (R) had hamstrung non-partisan groups like the League of Women Voters from registering voters leading up to the November election.

U.S. District Judge Robert L. Hinkle said he would grant a motion to permanently remove the restrictions as soon as he receives confirmation that a federal appellate court had dismissed the case.

In December the League of Women Voters of Florida, Rock the Vote, and the Florida Public Interest Research Group Education Fund sued to block the restrictions. The Department of Justice also opposed the restrictions and had filed their own lawsuit challenging them. “Florida’s anti-voter law created impassable roadblocks for our volunteers, who have been bringing fellow Floridians into our democratic process for over 72 years,” said Deirdre Macnab, President of the League of Women Voters of Florida. “Thanks to today’s ruling, we can finally put these roadblocks behind us and concentrate on getting Floridians registered to vote. We are grateful the court recognized that the Constitution does not tolerate these types of barriers to civic participation and voter registration.”

The Justice Department also blocked a South Carolina voter-I.D. law in December 2011, saying it violated Section 5’s prohibition on racially discriminatory voting laws. In March 2012, the department also blocked a Texas voter-I.D. law again saying that the requirement that people show a photo-I.D. to vote was racial discrimination.

2. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

Racial discrimination against whom ??? What racial group is not allowed to have identification in this country? Are the deceased and family pets considered a racial group?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

3. Hack Hawk Down

I don't think that line was accurately reported.

The Texas law was that you had to produce a passport or driver's license. Plus you had to get a special voter ID card from the state. According to the NY Times story: "Prospective voters would need to travel to a state Department of Public Safety office to get an election ID card, and, although the card is free, they would have to verify their identity to obtain one, in some cases paying $22 to order a certified copy of their birth certificate."

The judge ruled that it would be costly for poor people to trek to a DOPS office then potentially pay for a copy of their birth cert. The argument is that it amounts to a "poll tax" which violates that 1965 voting rights law.

The ruling itself says that the minorities would face burdens...but the same burdens as whitey.

4. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Why would minorities have any harder of a time holding on to their original birth certificates than white people?

5. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

Because "Father: Unknown" is a spirit dampener?

6. Hack Hawk Down

Well even when black people become president, people question if their birth certificates are real, and presidential candidates even make fun of it, so you can see how some young black or hispanic would be concerned.

7. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Concerned over having their birth certificate questioned... so they lose it or refuse to produce it just in case someone doubts its authenticity?

8. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Ugh... stop your stupid bullshit.

Listen... if you don't have the responsibility/capability to obtain a stupid identification card, and successfully maintain possession thereof, then perhaps... just fucking maybe... YOU'RE TOO FUCKING RETARDED TO VOTE!

I swear to fucking doG...this continuing to bend over backwards to facilitate the failings and irresponsibility of retards and useless fuck ups is going to be the ruination of this nation.

9. Hack Hawk Down

Well, at least this year we will have a litmus test. The states with Republican governors said they needed a law which was struck down. If there is big time voter fraud, we will know that they were right.