Feds rank Texas worst healthcare provider

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Feds rank Texas worst healthcare provider

By Todd Ackerman and Alexa Walczak
Published 09:38 p.m., Thursday, July 5, 2012

Texas ranked dead last in the federal government's latest report card on the delivery of health services, falling short in areas ranging from acute hospital care to home treatment of the chronically ill.

Texas scored 31.61 - less than half of top-ranked Minnesota's 67.31 - out of a possible 100 points in the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality annual rankings. Rated "weak" or "very weak" in nine of 12 health delivery categories, Texas dropped from 47th place in 2010 to 51st in 2011, behind all other states and Washington, D.C.

"There are a lot of places Texas can make improvements," said Dr. Ernest Moy, the federal agency's medical officer and the scorecard's lead author.

"We're not comparing it to some fantasy world, we're comparing it to other states around the nation."

Moy downplayed Texas' fall from 2010, noting that Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas tend to fluctuate near the bottom of the annual scorecard.

Uninsured populace

Moy acknowledged Texas' poor showing was partly the result of its heavily uninsured population - the nation's highest, at more than 25 percent - but said it was also due to the weak delivery of care in different settings and clinical areas.

Texas' worst mark came in the home health care setting, where it was rated very weak for care provided to elderly and disabled who live at home. Among clinical areas, it was rated very weak for diabetes care.

Texas fared best - average - in the mortality rates and potentially avoidable complications of privately insured people.

It ranked below average in those areas for people without insurance and those covered by Medicaid or Medicare.

State officials minimized the rankings.

"Our office is reviewing the study, but at first glance it appears to be an extremely broad report that goes well beyond the parameters of the state Medicaid program and doesn't take into account our diverse population," Catherine Frazier, press secretary for Gov. Rick Perry, said in a statement.

Frazier said Texas will "continue to fight the federal government for more flexibility to address our health care challenges, which is crucial to effectively improving our health care system."

Stephanie Goodman, spokeswoman for the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, said in a statement that the report card "includes services far beyond our state Medicaid program, but it does reinforce the need for improving access to preventive services."

She said regional partnerships the agency is forming to make better use of Medicaid funding will help do that.

155 quality measure

The scorecard, designed to help politicians, policy-makers, private insurers and state and federal agencies identify their state's strengths and weaknesses, is based on 155 quality measures, including success of preventive care, disparities in treatment among ethnic groups and the effectiveness and cost of care for patients with chronic or terminal conditions such as diabetes and cancer.

Among the findings:

1 Texas was worst of all states in caring for breast cancer patients under 70 and in home health-care for patients with respiratory problems, urinary incontinence and chronic pain.

1 Texas' highest scores came in nursing home care, cancer and maternal and child health care. The first two were rated average, maternal and child health care slightly above average.

1 Texas ranked above the national average in the quality of care provided to Hispanics and blacks, compared to care provided to whites.

Minnesota was followed by Wisconsin, Maine, Massachusetts and Iowa atop the report card. West Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico finished above Texas at the bottom.

"This report card shows that insured or not, Texans generally aren't getting the quality care they should," said state Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston, a longtime member of the House public health committee and critic of the state's limited Medicaid program. "It shows what we know - that we're at the bottom."

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...k-Texas-worst-healthcare-provider-3687193.php
Full rankings:
http://statesnapshots.ahrq.gov/snaps11/index.jsp?

Nice to see Massachusetts cracked the top 5. I'm sure Romney will be able to run on that... :icon_cool

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Texas also has the best Oncology and Cardiology specialty hospitals in the world. It also, however, has huge populations of both entrepreneurs who say fuck health care coverage since they have the money to pay for it themselves, and people who live "off the grid" so to speak, so if you're considering percentage of population who have no health care coverage in these ratings, well, no shit?

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
OK fine. So private health care companies failed in providing these services, in the State of Texas.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Just think of the improvements they will be able to make when everybody there finally pays their bills.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
yet people more to TX from other states

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Texas also has the best Oncology and Cardiology specialty hospitals in the world. It also, however, has huge populations of both entrepreneurs who say fuck health care coverage since they have the money to pay for it themselves, and people who live "off the grid" so to speak, so if you're considering percentage of population who have no health care coverage in these ratings, well, no shit?
Worst healthcare provider for sure. That's why MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is the top ranked cancer treatment center in the country. Even you Yankees up in Dallas have a great med center with Baylor.

Ranking healthcare is very subjective. As a resident of this fine state, I can assure everyone that our emergency rooms are indeed filled with illegals seeking primary care, not emergencies.

And it appears that the study is racist. The top ranking states are filled with white people. So no sickle cell or diabetes to deal with. Just wait until the Mexicans make it up there...then they are fucked in the culo.

I'm surprised that the administration didn't give the award to Arizona since they are #1 on Barry's shit list. But we can take that honor if they just give it to the state they hate the most.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Yep, my father-in-law has had some form of cancer for close to 20 years now, and MD Anderson keeps him patched up and perfect to the point where it pretty much doesn't affect him at all. (He has a minor surgery about once every 5 years or so, something lymph node related)

There's also that place out in Tyler. People fly in from all over the world to be treated by the hacks in this horribly rated state. :haha7:

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Yep, my father-in-law has had some form of cancer for close to 20 years now, and MD Anderson keeps him patched up and perfect to the point where it pretty much doesn't affect him at all. (He has a minor surgery about once every 5 years or so, something lymph node related)

There's also that place out in Tyler. People fly in from all over the world to be treated by the hacks in this horribly rated state. :haha7:

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Worst healthcare provider for sure. That's why MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is the top ranked cancer treatment center in the country. Even you Yankees up in Dallas have a great med center with Baylor.
Does MD Anderson have an infinite number of beds to treat everyone?

Ranking healthcare is very subjective. As a resident of this fine state, I can assure everyone that our emergency rooms are indeed filled with illegals seeking primary care, not emergencies.
They pulled statistics on non-subjective data like hospitality mortality, cancer survival rates, etc.

And it appears that the study is racist. The top ranking states are filled with white people. So no sickle cell or diabetes to deal with. Just wait until the Mexicans make it up there...then they are fucked in the culo.
Texas barely beat out
West Virginia:
White persons, percent, 2011: 94.1%
Oklahoma and Arkansas are pretty white too.

I'm surprised that the administration didn't give the award to Arizona since they are #1 on Barry's shit list. But we can take that honor if they just give it to the state they hate the most.
Arizona was rated "average." And probably 3 of the top 5 could be considered red states.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I would be proud to be ranked last by any fed survey, it means they must be doing something right

Myhairygrundle

Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Does MD Anderson have an infinite number of beds to treat everyone?

They pulled statistics on non-subjective data like hospitality mortality, cancer survival rates, etc.

Texas barely beat out

Oklahoma and Arkansas are pretty white too.

Arizona was rated "average." And probably 3 of the top 5 could be considered red states.
I really don't give a shit. If I get really sick, I'm not getting on a plane and going to wherever you are. I'm going to the world famous Texas Medical Center.

That article is just a hit job on the state. People from all over the world come to Houston to be treated by some of the best doctors.

Putting west Virginia and Texas in the same lineup is laughable.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I really don't give a shit. If I get really sick, I'm not getting on a plane and going to wherever you are. I'm going to the world famous Texas Medical Center.
And Cedar Sinai, John Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, etc.

That article is just a hit job on the state. People from all over the world come to Houston to be treated by some of the best doctors.

Putting west Virginia and Texas in the same lineup is laughable.

Myhairygrundle

Jul 16, 2005
Texas
And Cedar Sinai, John Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, etc.

Those are all fine institutions. Not a darn thing wrong with them. Like I said, ranking things like this is subjective.

It's like a food war. New York pizza versus Chicago pizza. Texas or Kansas barbecue. All are excellent and have merit. Not that health care is on par with that, but you get the idea.

This is the same government that has studies on the masturbation habits of old men? I'll leave credible studies up to someone else, not the government.

I stand by the political hatchet point.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Those are all fine institutions. Not a darn thing wrong with them. Like I said, ranking things like this is subjective.

It's like a food war. New York pizza versus Chicago pizza. Texas or Kansas barbecue. All are excellent and have merit. Not that health care is on par with that, but you get the idea.

This is the same government that has studies on the masturbation habits of old men? I'll leave credible studies up to someone else, not the government.
What part of hospital mortality and cancer survivability statistics are subjective?

I stand by the political hatchet point.
Live by it, die by it. All the same to me. :action-sm

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
My wife's 85 year old grand-dad was a goner, something wrong with his ticker.

Long story short, they called a Hospital 10 minutes away and found a guy who literally invented a procedure to repair one of his valves and he's strong as a mule. The hospitals in Dallas and Houston are amazing, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The fact is there's a bunch of rednecks in Texas who do things like never go to doctors until it's too late. You can't blame the health care system for idiots who're scared of doctors.

If you look at that list I'm sure you're going to see the same rankings if you sort by rednecks per capita.