lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
This is a shocker.

showssections
October 20, 2011U.S.
Few Americans Take Immigrants' Jobs in Alabama
By ALICIA A. CALDWELL and JAY REEVES Associated Press
1 hour, 44 minutes ago

Potato farmer Keith Smith saw most of his Hispanic workers leave after Alabama's tough immigration law took effect, so he hired Americans. It hasn't worked out: They show up late, work slower than seasoned farm hands and are ready to call it a day after lunch or by midafternoon. Some quit after a single day.

In Alabama and other parts of the country, farmers must look beyond the nation's borders for labor because many Americans simply don't want the backbreaking, low-paying jobs immigrants are willing to take. Politicians who support the law say over time more unemployed Americans will fill these jobs. They insist it's too early to consider the law a failure, yet numbers from the governor's office show only nominal interest.

"I've had people calling me wanting to work," Smith said. "I haven't turned any of them down, but they're not any good. It's hard work, they just don't work like the Hispanics with experience."

Alabama passed its law in June and it was immediately challenged by the Obama administration as it has been in other states. Unlike those states' measures, Alabama's law was left largely in place while challenges played out in court, frightening Hispanics and driving many of them away.

The agriculture industry suffered the most immediate impact. Farmers said they will have to downsize or let crops die on the vine. As the season's harvest winds down, many are worried about next year.

In south Georgia, Connie Horner has heard just about every reason unemployed Americans don't want to work on her blueberry farm. It's hot, the hours are long, the pay isn't enough and it's just plain hard.

"You can't find legal workers," Horner said. "Basically they last a day or two, literally."

Horner, who runs an 8½-acre organic blueberry farm, said she tried to use the government's visa program to hire foreign workers, but it was too costly and time consuming.

She plans to stop growing organically and start using a machine to pick the berries.

"I did everything I possibly could to be legal and honest and not part of the problem," Horner said. "Morally, I can't knowingly hire illegal workers."

Gov. Robert Bentley, a Republican who signed the law, started a program last week to help businesses, particularly farmers, make up for the lost labor. So far, about 260 people interested in temporary agricultural jobs have signed up. About three dozen of them have been hired, said Tara Hutchison, a spokeswoman for the Alabama Department of Industrial Relations. She didn't know whether any had quit.

Sen. Scott Beason, a Republican, said he has received several emails and phone calls from people thanking him for helping them get jobs. He described one getting promoted from a part-time job with no benefits to a full-time job with benefits because some other immigrant workers left. He said none of the workers who thanked him have wanted to talk to the media.

"They are paranoid of publicity. They are like, 'I don't want to get shredded up like y'all are.' ... I really can't blame them," he said.

Over the past two weeks, The Associated Press has reached out to the governor's office and other officials to provide the names of Alabama residents who have taken immigrant jobs. Either they were not made available, or didn't want to speak publicly.

Brent Martin, an Alabama resident, started working on a tomato farm in an area northeast of Birmingham after the law was passed. On Thursday, he and two other Americans were clearing about 24,000 tomato stakes off a 4-acre plot. He said few Americans who would stick with it.

"There are plenty who could do it, but would they? I don't know about that. I don't see why they wouldn't as bad as the economy is right now," Martin said.

Relatively high unemployment rates — about 9 percent in the U.S. and 9.9 in Alabama — are not likely to push Americans toward farm work, said Demetrios Papademetriou, president and co-founder of the Migration Policy Institute. He suggested the problem may be more deeply rooted.

"This is a sector and an industry ... that a long time ago, going back to the 1940s and probably before that was abandoned," Papademetriou said. "It was abandoned to foreign workers."

Stan Eury, executive director of the North Carolina Growers Association, said location matters, too.

"Agriculture jobs are primarily in remote, rural areas. We see higher numbers of unemployed people in the big cities," he said.

Tomato farmer Wayne Smith said he has never been able to keep a staff of American workers in his 25 years of farming.

"People in Alabama are not going to do this," said Smith, who grows about 75 acres of tomatoes in the northeast part of the state. "They'd work one day and then just wouldn't show up again."

At his farm, field workers get $2 for every 25-pound box of tomatoes they fill. Skilled pickers can make anywhere from $200 to $300 a day, he said.

Unskilled workers make much less.

A crew of four Hispanics can earn about $150 each by picking 250-300 boxes of tomatoes in a day, said Jerry Spencer, of Grow Alabama, which purchases and sells locally owned produce. A crew of 25 Americans recently picked 200 boxes — giving them each $24 for the day.

It may make sense for some to sit on the couch. Unemployment benefits provide up to $265 a week while a minimum wage job, at $7.25 an hour for 40 hours, brings in $290.

Spencer said the Americans he has linked up with farmers are not physically fit and do not work fast enough.

"It's the harshest work you can imagine doing,"
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14782618

If there was a legal freeloading fat fuck demand for tough job in the first there wouldn't be jobs available for immigrants ya 'tards.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
News alert: Alabama is retarded!

bedhumper

Oct 9, 2011
Force the welfare brats to take them.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Dosen't this prove that illegals lower the cost of labor in this country ?

I'll never understand why the labor union bosses support the political party that supports illegal immigration

unless of course those labor union bosses don't really care about what is in the best interest of the members of the unions

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
unless of course those labor union bosses don't really care about what is in the best interest of the members of the unions
Of course they don't. I was a shop steward for years and it didn't take long
to realize that union reps were like politicians. Only in it to keep their cushy
job with it's great pay, bennies and retirement plan. Average Joe is not their
real concern. It's all about hanging on to their piece of the pie.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
This article is not surprising to me in the least. Mexicans are the best construction workers, questionable papers or not.

Sep 28, 2010
This article is not surprising to me in the least. Mexicans are the best construction workers, questionable papers or not.
Polish are pretty good as well, despite all the retard and drunk jokes.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Good,
I hope the cost of food goes through the roof just to show people what happens when you fuck with the free market (since they obviously haven't learned it yet).

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
So they don't even allow migrant workers in Alabama? Use em to pick the potatoes and then when there done they can fuck off back to Mexico.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
So they don't even allow migrant workers in Alabama? Use em to pick the potatoes and then when there done they can fuck off back to Mexico.
If Alabama adopted the same REAL-ID act that Georgia uses, no one except eligible Americans or visa holders can even be hired to work. No guest worker or temporary visa, gotta pass the I-9 test.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
American work ethic sucks.. shocker. I've been saying that for a long time. It's no secret.. I had a job delivering beer when I was younger. Busted my ass. I knew 80% of my friends would never do it because it was too hard for them. I miss that job. A bunch of guys that all worked hard. Miss the work too. It was good for me.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
They're too worried about them casting a vote for a Democrat on the way back.
That's a funny thing about shit like this forcing spics to vote democrat even though beaners have conservative views. But doesn't matter when it comes to voting numbers.
alabama Population 5 mil: whitey- 68%, *******- 26%, spics 4%

they can't fill the jobs left by 4%. Alabama sucks.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Related story

Mercedes manager from Germany arrested on Alabama immigration charge

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — A German manager with Mercedes-Benz is free after being arrested for not having a driver’s license with him under Alabama’s new law targeting illegal immigrants, authorities said Friday, in an otherwise routine case that drew the attention of Gov. Robert Bentley.

Tuscaloosa Police Chief Steven Anderson told The Associated Press an officer stopped a rental vehicle for not having a tag Wednesday night and asked the driver for his license. The man only had a German identification card, so he was arrested and taken to police headquarters, Anderson said.

The 46-year-old executive was charged with violating the immigration law for not having proper identification, but he was released after an associate retrieved his passport, visa and German driver’s license from the hotel where he was staying, Anderson said.

The length of his detainment and the status of his court case weren’t immediately known.

Mercedes-Benz, which is a division of Daimler AG, builds sport-utility vehicles at a large plant in Vance, about 20 miles east of Tuscaloosa. The automaker’s decision to open a factory in Alabama in 1993 was considered a major coup for the state’s economic development efforts and launched a trend of other foreign automakers and suppliers who opened major factories in the state, including Honda, Toyota and Hyundai.

Bentley, a Republican who signed the illegal immigration law earlier this year, called the state’s homeland security director, Spencer Collier, after hearing of the arrest to get details about had happened, Collier said in an interview.

“Initially I didn’t have them, so I called Chief Anderson to find out what happened,” Collier said. “It sounds like the officer followed the statute correctly.”

Collier said he didn’t know how Bentley found out about the arrest, and Bentley press secretary Jennifer Ardis referred all questions to Collier.

Collier said he has made at least a dozen similar calls to law enforcement agencies that made arrests under the law to see how it is being handled, and he said his call to Anderson wasn’t prompted by the fact a Mercedes executive was arrested.

“It’s just to make sure they’re using best practices and following the law,” he said.

The law — parts of which were put on hold amid legal challenges — requires that police check citizenship status during traffic stops and take anyone who doesn’t have proper identification to a magistrate. Anderson said that’s what was done, but someone in the same situation wouldn’t have been arrested before the law took effect.

“If it were not for the immigration law, a person without a license in their possession wouldn’t be arrested like this,” he said. Previously, drivers who lacked licenses received a ticket and a court summons, the police chief said.

Mercedes-Benz spokeswoman Felyicia Jerald said the man is from Germany and was visiting Alabama on business. The company’s first U.S. assembly plant is located just east of Tuscaloosa.

“This was an unfortunate situation, but the incident was resolved when our colleague ... was able to provide his driver’s license and other documents to Tuscaloosa police,” Jerald said.

The law is considered by both opponents and supporters as the toughest in the U.S. against illegal immigrants. It’s being challenged in federal court by the Justice Department, about 30 civil rights organizations and some prominent church leaders. Judges have blocked some provisions, but sections still stand that allow police to check a person’s immigration status during traffic stops and make it a felony for illegal immigrants to conduct basic state business, like getting a driver’s license
I bet the Germans are anxious to invest lots more money here with poorly-thought laws like this on the books.

THRILLHO

Apr 5, 2009
Bothell, Wa.
can't we dust off the ******* and have them do stuff like this? It would be for the best.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
can't we dust off the ******* and have them do stuff like this? It would be for the best.
60 years of free money has ruined them. We really have no choice but to let the Messicans do the work. We just need to figure out a way to get them here legally. I still think kicking out as many illegals as possible while simultaneously lifting almost all immigration limits would work. The illegals would be replaced by legals. Realistically, though, they'll end up getting amnesty again.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
A few years ago only temp help I could get around here was the neighborhood teenagers who would help me (cutting/trimming/hauling shit out) between his two part time jobs.

This year I have gotten 3 or 4 phone calls for people looking for work.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
mexicans are not the best workers if you want a quality job

they work cheap and get the job done

but not quality

a friend of mine found this out when he built an addition to his house and hired wetbacks because they were "so cheap"

all he did was complain about the quality of their work in the same breath as he was saying how cheap they were

their concrete work was embarrassing. looked just like the crap I used to see in mexico, looked like they were using their hands to finish it instead of steel tools. and they used proper tools

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Sounds like these Alabamans are fighting WW2 a few years too late...

Alabama red-faced as second foreign car boss held under immigration law

Judge drops charges against Japanese Honda executive Ichiro Yada trapped by Alabama's tough new anti-immigration laws

Ed Pilkington in New York
guardian.co.uk, Friday 2 December 2011 13.21 EST

To arrest one foreign car-making executive under Alabama's new tough immigration laws may be regarded as a misfortune; to arrest a second looks like carelessness.

A judge has acted to put a Japanese employee of Honda Motor Company out of his misery by dismissing immigration charges against him, three days after he was booked under Alabama's new immigration laws that have been billed as the most swingeing in America. Ichiro Yada is one of about 100 Japanese managers of the company on assignment in southern state.

Yada was stopped in Leeds, Alabama, at a checkpoint set up by police to catch unlicenced drivers. He was ticketed on the spot, despite the fact that he showed an international driver's licence, a valid passport and a US work permit.

Key parts of the new immigration law, HB56, came into effect in late September, including the driving provisions. Under them, the police are required to check up on the immigration status of anyone they stop who they suspect of being in the country illegally.

In addition, all drivers are required to carry a valid driver's licence, either from a US state or from their native country if they are from abroad. The law is designed to trap undocumented immigrants – in practice, Hispanics largely from Mexico – who are no longer allowed to apply for driving licences.

Over the past two months thousands of undocumented Latinos have fled the state and many more have ceased driving for fear of being caught and incarcerated.

Yada is the second foreign car executive to fall foul of the new law. Last month police officers arrested a German director of Mercedes-Benz for failing to carry a valid driver's licence. The move exposed Alabama to widespread criticism and ridicule.

The St Louis-based Post-Dispatch newspaper revelled in Alabama's embarrassment by publishing an open letter to foreign car companies encouraging them to pack their bags and move to the rival car-producing state of Missouri.

"We are the Show Me State, not the Show Me Your Papers State," it wrote, telling auto bosses: "You've got two choices. Either ask your executives to carry their immigration papers at all times, or move to a state that understands gemüchlichkeit."

The inadvertent discomfort of foreign car executives is no joke for Alabama, though. Mercedes-Benz, which opened a plant in Tuscaloosa in 1993, and Honda, which came to Lincoln in 1999, are major employers. Honda has 4,000 employees in Alabama with an investment of about $1.4bn.

The new law has already caused a labour shortage in the state's important agricultural sector, with tomatoes rotting in the fields after Hispanic pickers fled. The construction industry has also been heavily hit by whole crews of workers downing tools and disappearing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/02/alabama-car-boss-immigration-law

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
They are always claiming "American's won't do that sort of work"......Yeah, most American's wont work in a packing plant for minimum wage. Kick the illegals out, let the market dictate how much the job should pay and all of a sudden, unemployment goes down. You should see all the shit hole towns that used to be nice before the packing plants decided to double their profits by hiring criminals to work in the plants.

Fuck em.