Fez's right to privacy

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
I thought today's show perfectly illustrated a problem we are seeing in society these days.

Fez goes to a party voluntarily, because he wants to hang with fans from the show, some asshole decides it'd be funny to video tape him, doesn't alert him to the fact he's being taped, then goes behind his back and posts it on youtube without saying a word to him.

He obviously had this in mind, that he was going to capture a "youtube" moment. Since, you know, hanging out with the show isn't really cool enough already :rolleyes: .

Can we not just go to places and hang out, without having to fucking record every single thing? Now we do this to famous radio guys who are hanging with us? RNF don't have to do those gigs. They put themselves in an intimate situation with the fans and end up getting shit on.

Then, salt on the wounds, the asshole calls up today and sounds pretty fucking apathetic. And callers (his friends?) were joining in on it. You know, the buddays are pretty fucking accessible (or were) and people act like we should stick them in a zoo and we can just gawk at them all day. People fucking suck.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
I'm in total agreement with Fez. I could almost understand it if he just kept the video private for his own enjoyment (what ever that miight be) but, posting it on Youtube is a cry for attention. Yes, Fez is a public figure but, if he cant have a semblance of privacy I completely understand his reluctance to attend any future bar nights, a total loss for the fans.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
Even though I do agree that as a society we are fucked up, but Fez loves chatting about what Paris Hilton and Linsay are doing and that is the same shit. I can't stand it that the majority of this country including Fez love to hear about celebrities. Fez is an entertainer and with that comes the fucking guys with cameras. Everyday you see a celebrity getting angry at a camera man and the fuckers still show up whenever a celebrity is in town. I for one love the Ron and Fez show and when I started listening I had to find out everything I could on these two guys. They are brilliant entertainers and that has people like me in the middle of Wisconsin who can't go to a bar night, looking on the internet for videos and pictures of you lucky bastards going out with my favorite celebrities. I think Fez took it too far and I also think Bama should have told Fez he was taping. I think it helps out with your career if you are a show that is known to do alot with your fanbase. O&A and Ron and Fez have always include the fans into alot of their show and with alot of the good might come a few bad things. Just move on and have a good time at the next event.

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
For someone who gossips as much as Fez and wants to know what celebrities are up too, he needs to realize some people consider him a celebrity.

In my non professional but I also battle some crippling OCD's opinion:

Fez is just looking for reasons to withdraw himself more from society. He talks about his therapy, but he almost always talks negatively about it. It is much easier to withdraw than to honestly deal with the issues.

I realize that he is on the radio, but that is just a little room he sits and talks in. I hate being around people, yet I do standup comedy. It isn't a contradiction, when I am on stage I am talking at people not interacting on a human level.

bluemoon

expert on funny
May 16, 2007
LaGrangeville, ny
well we all asked for it. FUNNY VID SITES+THOUGHTS OF 15MIN OF FAME= EVERY ASSHAT WITH A CAMERA FILMING NONSTOP.
dont get me wrong, i love all the vid sites but its getting kinda dumb where every 15 yearold with a camera is trying to get on youtube or break.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I feel for Fez, but to an extent, if only because in an abstract way him and Ron are responsible for this environment where theyve become super friendly with many of the fans, many of whom think that they are now part of the show and, by default, R&F's lives. Its a shame, too, because now its to the point where they are being taken advantage of in a number of different ways, but could any other outcome really have been expected when dealing with borderline obsessive fans like those who are mentioned on the show every day ad nauseum ?

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Even though I do agree that as a society we are fucked up, but Fez loves chatting about what Paris Hilton and Linsay are doing and that is the same shit. I can't stand it that the majority of this country including Fez love to hear about celebrities. Fez is an entertainer and with that comes the fucking guys with cameras. Everyday you see a celebrity getting angry at a camera man and the fuckers still show up whenever a celebrity is in town. I for one love the Ron and Fez show and when I started listening I had to find out everything I could on these two guys. They are brilliant entertainers and that has people like me in the middle of Wisconsin who can't go to a bar night, looking on the internet for videos and pictures of you lucky bastards going out with my favorite celebrities. I think Fez took it too far and I also think Bama should have told Fez he was taping. I think it helps out with your career if you are a show that is known to do alot with your fanbase. O&A and Ron and Fez have always include the fans into alot of their show and with alot of the good might come a few bad things. Just move on and have a good time at the next event.
The way I'm seeing this is that "celebrities" like Paris are being hound by Paparazzi, paid to do what ever it takes to get an embarrassing shot, not fans or members of extended circle of friends.

In my most humble opinion, if your a fan who is know to some degree by the hosts, you have a responsibility to have some respect for their privacy. Its one thing for an outsider to try this kind of thing, its another for a fan to do it.

pmoney316

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville TN
Fez has a point, but the whole 'I will just stop going out' is a step back from his therapy/life coaching. Hopefully it was just Cranky Monday Fez, and Happy Go Lucky Fez McCool will re-emerge.

watsonnostaw

May 6, 2005
todd is indeed entitled to his priv

that being said, Fez isnt happy unless hes bitchin or scared of something or gotten away with a cash scam

listen to the glee in his voice when the ****** of Rons wallet for the dinner was discussed

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Could any other outcome really have been expected when dealing with borderline obsessive fans like those who are mentioned on the show every day ad nauseum ?
You mean you don't want to hear how many bowls of cereal someone has had or don't care about what position another listener of the show is laying in, or what color blouse a girl has on?

I haven't listened to todays show, and might not find time.
Was this video embarassing or just caught Fez in a moment he didn't know what being captured and wasn't embarassing and it's just the point about privacy?

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I didnt hear the whole thing but it seemed to me to be a little bit of both.

Oh, and hearing about people on Pal Talk folding their laundry is absolutely scintillating.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
The way I'm seeing this is that "celebrities" like Paris are being hound by Paparazzi, paid to do what ever it takes to get an embarrassing shot, not fans or members of extended circle of friends.

In my most humble opinion, if your a fan who is know to some degree by the hosts, you have a responsibility to have some respect for their privacy. Its one thing for an outsider to try this kind of thing, its another for a fan to do it.
There is no difference. The paparazzi follow Paris cause the american public wants to see her. If society disliked them then there would be no need for the photos and videos of them. This is the same for Ron and Fez. The fans or public, being me and alot of others around here want to see Ron and Fez. How many people on this board DVRed the stupid food network to see Ron and Fez on there? I sure did. And even though people say Bama is a bad guy for taping Fez how many of us went to find the video as soon as we heard there was one. Just like with the homeless shopping show. I do agree if he wants to be private he has a right to it. But he is an entertainer and with that comes downsides, like the privacy. If he wants to never go to a gig again I say go for it, but one of the main reasons I stopped listening to Bob and Tom and bought XM is because Bob and Tom just broadcast and don't interact with their fanbase. I like it that if I want to voice my opinion on something they are talking about I can just dial a number and be on in minutes.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I think its awesome that R&F 'keep it real' and interact with their fans fairly regularly, but at the same time they probably shouldnt be surprised when shit like this happens. Unfortunately this and the thing with Crazy Jen/Bobo is a perfect example of simply letting certain listeners get too close.

pmoney316

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville TN
You mean you don't want to hear how many bowls of cereal someone has had or don't care about what position another listener of the show is laying in, or what color blouse a girl has on?
Don't forget the pearl necklaces!

Was this video embarassing or just caught Fez in a moment he didn't know what being captured and wasn't embarassing and it's just the point about privacy?
That's a very good point. I believe Fez said he was 'posing' as if Bama was taking a picture, but then realized he was being taped, and felt embarrassed, which we know he hates.

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006

Paris and Lohan have sought out that life, in fact, without that publicity they wouldn't be famous because neither has much talent (Lohan to some extent but not recently).

Others are preyed upon, let's say... Brad and Angelina, because they are successful. They also are equipped to deal with it.

Let's face it though, this wasn't the paparazzi, the paparazzi doens't give a fuck about Fez. This was some socially defunct hayseed with a digital camera trying to capture some great "youtube" clips. If he hadn't put it on youtube, if he had put it on, fuck even photobucket which is more personal, I might have some sympathy for the inbreed, but youtube is all about attention. I hope XM sends him a C&D for the Saget thing too.

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
Fez has a point, but the whole 'I will just stop going out' is a step back from his therapy/life coaching. Hopefully it was just Cranky Monday Fez, and Happy Go Lucky Fez McCool will re-emerge.
I agree, he kinda enraged/talked himself into that, after saying he wanted to perform in front of a studio audience. Only after the show took a strong negative turn, did this grumpy fella come out to play.

The guy who said the OCD thing makes sense, although here I'd say it's not OCD as much as it's social anxiety.

He also doesn't have 100% say over if fans come into the studio, it's not the "Fez Show", although I guess Ron could respect his feelings and go with it.

I'm not sure what hayseed bama bob can do, but he better fucking do something to make it right and not continue to hangup like a chicken shit.

kevtv

Resident Music Nerd
May 31, 2004
In my eyes, Fez was 100% on point today. Nobody should be videotaped and put on a website without their permission, and I go as far to say celebs too. Paparazzi does it all the time, doesn't make it right. If someone wants to make something public, so be it, but let it be their choice, but that's a much bigger issue.

As for Fez, if you're a fan and you're getting to hang with the buddays, is that not cool enough?

Also, this wasn't a signing or an appearance. If this was in the studio or something like that, I can kinda understand but still think it's out of line. If they are personable enough to hang out with fans (and they are more than gracious and patient), don't overstep the line and film a guy having a night out. Have as much respect for Fez the person as you claim to do for Fez the radio guy.

Let Fez, Ron, Earl (wait, I re-read this...Earl?!?!? Who likes Earl?), and anyone else you like have some chill time. If they are cool enough to hang and not be VIP dicks, the trade off is to not treat it like an autograph signing and use the time to increase the size of your collection of footage and pictures.

kev

atxklown

Will you do me a Kindness
Jan 26, 2004
Austin TX
So watching a Drunk Fez isn't worse than a Sober Fez dancing on a pole?

And Fez, a radio celebrity, who talks about celebrities and even posts celebs he sees on Gawker Stalker, doesn't like being filmed and put on youtube?

It probably isn't the fact that he was filmed, but he wasn't in control of when he was filmed. Add the notion of wanting to be alone, and this is just a chance to have that worked out.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
So watching a Drunk Fez isn't worse than a Sober Fez dancing on a pole?

And Fez, a radio celebrity, who talks about celebrities and even posts celebs he sees on Gawker Stalker, doesn't like being filmed and put on youtube?

It probably isn't the fact that he was filmed, but he wasn't in control of when he was filmed. Add the notion of wanting to be alone, and this is just a chance to have that worked out.
As he mentioned on the show today, Fezzie dancing on a pole was an appearance and totally justified being filmed. (And in character). Out at an the bar just hanging out not really cool. I'm with Fez on this one. Except I think he's getting a little carried away not wanting to hang anymore with the NY crowd.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
did FEZ get a little nuts about being taped?
yeah probably
but with it being posted on you tube? no
he probably should 've been consulted
if it was just going to the fan sites , meh
but i'm taking his side on this one
btw i haven't seen said video

Der Floogle

ChickenFucker Extraordinaire
Oct 4, 2004
Chicago
I would have thought that Fez would consider how this would leave Ron standing alone at Bar Nights. After all Ron does for Fezzy, you would think he could tough it out especially after making it known how he feels about being taped. I tend to believe that the taping will not continue since Fez spoke up about it.
I thought the therapy was supposed to help him deal with all his problems and not have him running back into his home where he can lock himself away all alone.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
i kinda like getting back to my house too
i'm in control
and any uninvited "guests" may be shot
even my relatives know
your welcome to come over
you know where the keys are
help yourselves to whatever
just don't wake me up
i'll see you when i get up

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I just think Fez is the victim of the generation gap. When was the last time you went to a social event and someone wasn't filming? It could be a party, a bar crawl, or just walking down the streets, guaranteed one of your friends is filming at least part of the time.

Fez just needs to realize that privacy for the average person is dead, let alone for a celebrity. I also have this issue with O&A, but these guys need to realize you give up all rights to privacy when you make you living in the public eye...and you get compensated for it in the wallet. If you want to be in radio and not in the public eye, then cut liners or commercials or do voice overs for a living. Otherwise, quit your bitching. As someone struggling in the same industry, I can only wish I had that kind of loss of privacy.