Fifth grade boys forced to cut gun tips off of army men.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
:mad4:

Cornerstone at Pedregal School students are told to cut weapons off toys on mortarboards before they could participate in promotion ceremony.

[FONT=Verdana, Ariel, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]
Disarmed in RPV

By Paul Clinton
Staff Writer

Who knew a 2-inch toy army man could cause such a stir?

A fifth-grade promotion ceremony in Rancho Palos Verdes turned into a free-speech battleground Thursday, when students were asked to remove weapons from toys that had been placed on mortarboard caps because of the school's zero-tolerance policy for weapons on campus.

Each year, students decorate wide caps with princesses, football goal posts, zebras, guitars and other items to express their personalities and career goals. Cornerstone at Pedregal School is the only Palos Verdes Peninsula public school to practice the tradition.

On Thursday, before the ceremony, one boy was told he couldn't participate unless he agreed to clip off the tips of the plastic guns carried by the minuscule GIs on his cap. Ten others complied with the order before the event.

Parents reacted angrily, calling Principal Denise Leonard's decision censorship, but the Palos Verdes Peninsula School District defended her.

Cole McNamara and Austin Nakata, 11-year-old buddies who share an interest in all things military, said they put the toys on their hats to support American troops in Iraq.

"I was kind of mad because they just went over and clipped them off and didn't say anything about it," Austin said.

His father, Glen Nakata, said he was disappointed that parents were not approached or consulted on elimination of the "firearms."

"I felt they were keeping the boys from expressing their patriotism, their strong beliefs toward the military," he said.

Glen Nakata's father served in the U.S. Air Force. And Austin wants to attend a military academy when he's older. Cole wants to join the Marine Corps, said his father, Paul McNamara.

To treat the "injuries" caused by the order to remove the offending weaponry, Austin wrapped the plastic stumps in white gauze and painted on faux blood.

The principal pulled Cole aside Thursday morning, handed him a pair of scissors and said the guns had to go.

"We're supporting our troops," Cole said. "But I wanted to graduate, so I just cut the guns off."

A teacher at Cornerstone started the mortarboard tradition about a decade ago. At Thursday's ceremony, the 62 fifth-graders each gave a 30-second speech in the auditorium, as their pictures flashed on a large screen.

Leonard, a first-year principal, didn't respond to several requests for comment, deferring to district administrators, who said the toys with miniature rifles and grenades violated a zero-tolerance weapons policy.

Leonard "directed students not place images of weapons on student-created mortarboards to be used in the promotion ceremony," according to a district statement. "The district fully supports her decision to comply with school rules and practices. In addition, practically all fifth-grade parents understood and accepted this decision and, in some cases, modified the student mortarboards, sans the weapon images."

In enforcing the decision, the district cited its Safe Schools policy and the federal Gun Free Schools Act of 1994, a federal law designed to remove firearms from schools.

Susan Liberati, an assistant superintendent, said she believes "the principal has interpreted district policy accurately, and we support her in that."

A copy of the district's Safe Schools policy obtained by the Daily Breeze includes no mention of toy army men. Students found to be "possessing, selling or otherwise furnishing a firearm" are expelled for one year, the policy states.

Weapons are also mentioned in the board's "weapons and dangerous instruments" policy that allows only authorized law enforcement or security personnel to possess "weapons, imitation firearms or dangerous instruments of any kind" on school grounds.

Board President Barbara Lucky declined comment on the incident or the policy.

"Sounds like a good question for legal counsel," Lucky said.​

Basically, school officials include the molded on plastic rifles carried by little green Army men in their definition of 'weapons' or 'firearms.' You've got to love government schools, and the complete moron blissninnies who run them.

I remember taking my little green Army men, and their tanks, to school for show-and-tell in second grade. Nobody batted at eye. And I grew up in the PRK. Was it really that long ago?​
[/FONT]​
http://www.nworeport.com/toy.htm

Fucking first year chick principal looking to throw her wieght around.

And they wonder why we have fags in the military:)

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
You can thank some lawyers for this one...

To you and me, obviously nothing was wrong with what this kid did. But one kid takes it a step further, then another kid takes it another step, until finally some kid comes in with brass knuckles and says that it is part of his outfit and not a weapon. So to avoid lawsuits schools have just said, "Fuck it, nothing is allowed."

I agree what happened here is stupid. But schools are cash cows for lawyers so I can hardly blame schools for having to do things like this.

I hope some gang banger crackhead fucking beats her with a cucumber. "Weapon" is an ambiguous term that can be applied to anything that can be placed into a hand or manipulated by it.

It's ridiculous to ban plastic army men because they have little molded guns. How can any logical person think that's a weapon?

If I had a kid at school there I'd make sure he was in art class so he could paint guns all day long and see if they try to put him into therapy or some shit.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
It's ridiculous to ban plastic army men because they have little molded guns. How can any logical person think that's a weapon?

If I had a kid at school there I'd make sure he was in art class so he could paint guns all day long and see if they try to put him into therapy or some shit.
Its not that they think its a weapon, lots of schools have a zero tolerance policy on gun imagery.

Its not that they think its a weapon, lots of schools have a zero tolerance policy on gun imagery.
It's stupid. Those are morons running the public schools.

I'II steal a ferris bueller line
I weep for the future

domelogic

imagery yes but bringing them to school seems to slip by. our society is so fucked up yet it continues to get worse somehow

oh and fuck lawyers who make shit like this happen

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Zero-tolerance policies require zero brain power. It's the ugliest form of social fascism and it needs to go. The nitwits who pushed for these "policy's" should be lined up and SHOT.

Army men holding their cocks would be less offensive to these fuckos.

GLENN_THE_TOOL

The reward is cheese.
Parents reacted angrily, calling Principal Denise Leonard's decision censorship, but the Palos Verdes Peninsula School District defended her.
it's not so much censorship as it is the paranoid, oversensitive asses who run our public facilities taking rules to the extreme.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
the should have painted one white and one black and had them kissing, now that would have been a hoot

mascan42

So if a kid went to school wearing this t-shirt

he'd get sent home because there's a gun on it?

How about this one? I mean, there are arrows on it . . . that can't be allowed.

thrawn42

Hackmaster Jones Sr.
Hey I think we're all taking the wrong side here.

I mean if kids don't see an image of a gun in school, they'll grow up to be stronger, knowledgable, and more socially responsible people. The best way to combat the gun culture of the US is to pretend that guns don't exist.......

Anyone else wish we could take our culture back a few decades to a time where the end result of this idiocy would be one of the kids' fathers caving in the faces of these bureaucratic fuckwits at the graduation ceremony? Everyone would cheer too and then go about their lives like it was justice served.

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Bet you the chinese schools don't do this.

Remember what Opie said - the chinese are coming!!

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I like the one throwing a grenade the best, the one crawling on his belly a close second. Usually the guns were melted off in magnifying glass accidents, along with the faces.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Zero Tolerance. Zero Tolerance? What kind of a fucked up country do we live in when having Zero Tolerance is seen as a good thing? Can I get maybe just a little tolerance? When did absolute black and white thinking with no consideration of context or situation stop being a facist thought process? Zero Tolerance. Real nice. Zero Tolerance.

Top Bottom