OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Film developing question for photographers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by mikeybot, Mar 21, 2012.

1. mikeybot

mikeybot SPANAKOPITA!!!

So, my dad left behind all kinds of black & white, color and infra-red rolls that haven't been developed. The film has been properly stored and still can be developed, but we don't want to trust it to CVS/Walmart/etc.
    Does anyone know of places that are good that can develop this as well as digitally scan the negatives so we don't have to worry about keeping them around/losing them/degradation?
    I realize that we might have to send the film out, so it'd be preferable if it was a company in the northeast, but I realize we can't be choosy about this.

Thanks.

2. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

Wow; haven't had to think about that in a while. I used to be a darkroom tech for a photographer in college - (save your racist jokes). Anyway, as far as film developing goes, make sure whoever you send it to knows the difference between B&W and Color film. Put them in separate envelopes and label them in BIG letters. I've seen color houses process B&W film with color process (which ruins the roll). They won't take responsibility either.

3. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Save them for where, church? This is Wackbag.

4. NikkorTheMonk

NikkorTheMonk Registered User

Eh, take that shit to Walmart. The black and white might have to be sent off but they take care of all that unless it's C-41 process which can be run through a color processor. Walmart and almost every other processing place uses a service that cleans and maintains their equipment and that includes mixing of fresh chemicals on a regular basis. If it's a heavily used business just ask to see a strip of empty negative from a previous customers order from that day and if it looks thin then come back in a week.

5. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

ugggggg..... i did that to some poor shlep, poor guy brought a roll of konica B&W into our shop, i had never seen konica B&W the canisters were the exact same as the color ones... when i worked at the lab we ruined all kinds of shit, one time the old geezer that i worked with ran 10 rolls of a wedding though the film processor and never put the lids on, and nope.... its never our fault :)