Final Fantasy XIII

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
I went back a year to see if their was a thread on this and I couldnt find one.
I know this game doesn't come out for at LEAST a year but I am already very excited.

The TGS is this week and they released some new screens, now I am not trying to start a "which is a better console" argument BUT after seeing this screen from actual in game I was blown away. I have played alot of 360 games and while alot look good... none that I have seen look like this

Here are some links to FF13 news and pics/vids

PICS

Trailer *note this is from over a year ago, sadly there isnt a recent one...yet*

Articles

This is the latest article on FF13, it is from the TGS

TGS 2007: Final Fantasy Fabula Nova Crystalis Trailer Impressions
A quick glance at the three 13's.

September 19, 2007 - At TGS 2007 in a closed-doors trailer screening Square-Enix ran two incredibly detailed trailers for Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII, as well as one for Agito, the mobile version. FFXIII is the PS3-only RPG, and the footage shown was all CG, and it filled in some more details about the game world and the characters you'll likely play as. In addition to the gun wielding heroine we've seen in previous screens and footage, this new trailer revealed a brunette with a bow, some kind of cybernetic female that seemed to be partially comprised of water, and a guy with a cap that rides a motorcycle. As with most Square-produced CG sequences, there were a lot of close-ups on the characters as they smirked knowingly before launching into an attack.

Though the video started with the train sequence we've seen a few times now, it eventually revealed a stunning canyon vista where hulking dinosaur-like creatures lumbered in sparkling waters under what appeared to be a planet in the sky dripping ice. Few story details could be gleaned from the trailer, except that it will again involve crystals. But such a notion is already built into the title. No release date was given.

The Versus trailer had less of an epic presentation, but was still impressive. It featured the grey-haired main character descending a staircase outside a stately looking building in a dismal metropolis. He was getting shelled by armored guards at the bottom of the steps but deflecting their bullets with some kind of magical shield. Cut between the action sequence where he decisively sliced them all up with his sword were scenes with a white robed sage overseeing some kind of magical device, and a sword-wielding female character dressed in a skirt. Also shown was a male character in a vest armed with a short gun. He and the grey-haired character appeared to be comrades, as they took a car trip together out of the city into a desert wasteland featured near the trailer's end. No gameplay was shown during the demo, but it did flash a line of text, "this is a fantasy based on reality," whatever that means. Again, no release date.

For Agito, a CG trailer showed a student at some kind of fantastical school activating a crystal-powered device, which subsequently exploded. The trailer was brief, but it appears to incorporate a large host of students as playable characters.
Hopefully all three of these trailers will be "up" soon

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
It looks very good. Lots of FF fans will be buying PS3s for this game alone.

It looks very good. Lots of FF fans will be buying PS3s for this game alone.
Thats an understatement.

The PSP, in Japan, outsold everything last week because of the release of Final Fantasy Crisis Core.

"this week sales of the PSP surged ahead to 95,487, making the handheld the top selling hardware unit in Japan, according to figures from Media Create. In comparison, the DS Lite clocked in 79,974 units, the Wii in third place with 26,181, followed by the PlayStation 2 with 13,128, the PlayStation 3 with 13,101, and the Xbox 360 with 1,243."
"

"The upswing in sales has been attributed to the release of a new Square Enix Final Fantasy game on the portable--Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII--which debuted at number one in the Japanese games charts, and has already sold 486,659 units. A special bundle called the FFVII 10th Anniversary Limited was made to commemorate the occasion, with only 77,777 sets being available, and these have now almost completely sold out. "

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6179738.html?tag=latestnews;title;2

It will be safe to say there will be a spike in PS3 sales when this comes out next year.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
Hopefully we dont have to wait for crisis for too long

Chlorofirm

Aug 26, 2002
cleveland
I'd be happy for any good RPG on the PS3 before the Holidays. The only other one I know of at this point is White Knight and thats 2008 too I think.

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
That screenshot at the top.... is that a pre-rendered cut scene or a clip from actual gameplay?

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Not Sequels per se.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
That screenshot at the top.... is that a pre-rendered cut scene or a clip from actual gameplay?
I have no hard evidence but it has the combat menu and a map in the corner so I would assume its actual gameplay.

The pre-rendered CG stuff looks amazing too

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
I think I remember reading somewhere that the transitions between cut scenes and gameplay would be seamless. But if the gameplay looks like that shot above, it already looks better than any pre-rendered cut scene I've ever seen.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
What is the difference between the normal Final Fantasy and the 'crisis' versions?
I started a thread a while ago about crisis core, its a little more like kingdom hearts than a normal turn based FF game.