Finding A Job

I graduated the other month, degree in Sociology, so I can basically look into a lot of stuff. Gov't jobs, social services, business shit, etc.

However, I'm not exactly sure how you go about finding an actual job, I mean I've had shittier jobs like grocery store bagger, I currently deliver pizzas (Which I like doing), but how do you find a so called real job?

I've been to Monster, Careerbuilder, and looked in the papers. There appears to be nothing. On all those sites it's all or nothing jobs, they're either "No Degree, no experience required" or "Make 15.99 and hour from home!"

Or the other side "5-6 years experience required, masters degree in ___ required"

Maybe these sites just blow, but without the internet I can't do anything. I wasn't expecting a job to fall out of the sky, but I thought it'd be sort of simple, just send out mass resumes and see what sticks, but there's nothing really to send to.

Another thing is I've found I have a misconception of income, alot of these jobs I'm like "Well, maybe I can do that" it'll say starting pay: $24,000. So I'll say to myself I can make $11.5 at Starbucks and it'll be a lot easier.
I guess the point is to start low, and hope to work your way up... but I'm lazy and have no patience.

How did you all find your first job? Just knew people?, or just went in to places or something and asked for a job? Used the internet or paper?

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
I thought most colleges have a job placement office. Start there. Also network with your professors to get some ideas.

Knowing people certainly helps. Those "no experience, no degree" jobs are bullshit jobs that you don't want to bother with.

Hummer made a great point, check out your school's placement department first. They already have the contact, you just need to get the interview and get the job.

If that doesn't work, you could always use a recruiter. Most companies don't list their better jobs on monster or careerbuilder, because they know that they'll get inundated with resumes, most of which are garbage. Instead, they'll use a recruiting firm to weed out the garbage for them.

Good luck in your search.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Agreed on both points. Recruiters have the inside track, so to speak, on what's "really" available, as opposed to what is advertised. Further, some places won't even hire walk-in's as a matter of policy.
And HT is absolutely right as well. Most colleges do have job placement counselors who can reach out on your behalf. (basically the same as the recruiter!)

AJellyDonut

They're paying for it, you eat it!
It takes time to find the right job, especially straight out of college. It's normal to feel like you'll never get on your feet or that the situation is hopeless. Just remember everybody goes through a transitional period like that. Take your time and stay focused on your happiness, not necessarily your job title. You're young and you'll be in and out of many doors, and whether the experiences are positive or negative, take whatever you can from them and learn from them. You'll eventually find the right fit.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
You could always live at home forever like me and troll the internet all day and never have money and tell yourself you'll get your shit together "tomorrow" and then just give up all together and accept the fact that a cardboard box is inevitable because you'll never get a job that ex-cons and high school dropouts could get just as easily, and who the hell wants to work for 8 dollars an hour in an area where that won't pay the rent on a parking space and I think I'm gonna go get high and say fuck it, but that's just me.

For your first professional job you really have to apply. I applied to over 50 places literally and I feel I was lucky that it only took that few.

Get a piece of paper, draw lines so it is divided into 4 sections. Each of those is a week. Put a check mark for every resume you send off. You want 25 check marks per week.

Now those employers who say "5 years required", while you don't qualify for that job they may likely have jobs you do qualify for. Submit your resume to them. Also remember very few jobs are posted.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
it would be a really good idea to talk to your advisor from school. since they most likely have a phd in your field they will know plenty of people to put you in contact with. also, have you totally ruled out grad school?

Yeah, grad school is a no. I'm lucky I made it through the last year or more. I was out of the school-spirit after sophmore year and was sort of forced to finish (Which I'll probably thank them for later) There was nothing I wanted more than to graduate.

I'm sure they college placement thing works for a lot of people, but every adviser or admin I've ever met with at my school was an ass. It's a giant state school, they don't know you or care about you or your questions. They just usually have you fill something out and take it to the next person in line or their hierarchy.

A mass resume send-out starts Monday

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Finding a job is tough. I graduated a year ago with a journalism degree. Worked at a paper for 6 months and won some NCPA awards and the paper folded. Now I've been out of work for two months and getting minimal calls back. It's tough, dude. Just roll with it.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Got 'let go' new year's eve 2005....just NOW starting with a new company tomorrow afternoon.

It's not that I wasn't working for the last year and a half (I still did consulting and editing for an old company, but it wasn't anywhere near full time, and barely enough to survive), but this is the first 'real' job I've had since then.

I've tried every damned thing to get hired, but I didn't even get a callback from Blockbuster Video (yes, I went THAT low to try and get steady cash)

I guess, just hang in there....

Sadly, the company I start with tomorrow? Found it on Craigslist, and it's everything I was hoping my former company was going to be.

tstlkevanilla

Ministress of Masturbation
I didn't feel like reading all the posts.. did you intern while studying? That could be used as job experience. Sociology was my favorite course in college.. it's really very interesting.. anywho... as for me, I started my job as a temp.. gonna be 7 years in August.

Mobile dredge??

My uncle works at Anheuser Busch, says there's a HR related internship available with pay, and then they usually hire you on.

I would have to be an HR asshole, but at least I'd get day fresh free beer.

I get the "sinking that low" to Blockbuster. I went to like 6 of those type places last week and somehow nobody was hiring, or they gave me the "Well, we keep all our applications on file so...." It's the god damn 16 year olds working the summers.

I saw in the paper today a gas station was looking for managers, and somehow the starting pay on their site was like 70+ which I was amazed by. How hard can it be to manage a gas station? I think I might be able to figure it out.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Mobile dredge??

My uncle works at Anheuser Busch, says there's a HR related internship available with pay, and then they usually hire you on.

I would have to be an HR asshole, but at least I'd get day fresh free beer.

I get the "sinking that low" to Blockbuster. I went to like 6 of those type places last week and somehow nobody was hiring, or they gave me the "Well, we keep all our applications on file so...." It's the god damn 16 year olds working the summers.

I saw in the paper today a gas station was looking for managers, and somehow the starting pay on their site was like 70+ which I was amazed by. How hard can it be to manage a gas station? I think I might be able to figure it out.
mobile dredge is a local company that services commercial settling ponds and cesspools. when i was a kid my father used to tell me; "boy, mobile dredge is always hiring, now go get a fucking job." around here WAWA is always hiring, hey its work, and believe it or not the manager at a wa makes decent money and theres plenty of room for advancement

That sounds like hard work, you see I'm a bit of a nancy.
I don't think I've ever used a drill or a shovel in my life. Maybe I can tell others where to dig and work.

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Come out to the Hamtons they are begging for people to work out there this summer...

I think I'd be able to pay for maybe a weeks rent in the Hamptons.
I would love to move to NY, but again that's like 5 times more expensive than St.Louis and being jobless there would be even worse.

O&ANurse

http://www.dmh.mo.gov/hr/jobs/job_view_facility.aspx

Here's the link to jobs for the Department of Mental Health for the State of Missouri. I work for the Dept. of Mental Health for Ohio. It looks like there are some jobs in the St. Louis. Maybe check into one of the Behavior Technician positions to get some experience

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
I think I'd be able to pay for maybe a weeks rent in the Hamptons.
I would love to move to NY, but again that's like 5 times more expensive than St.Louis and being jobless there would be even worse.
Oh if you get a hotel job they put you up for free

Thanks for the link. The problem with a lot of those types of jobs, like the adoption/foster care case worker jobs say that you must have experience working in adoptive agencies, or some of the mental health things are the same, saying you must have experience working with mentally retarded persons and such.

I don't know how strict they are with those types of requirements, I guess sending an application anyway can't hurt. But I have no experience really in anything like that.

O&ANurse

Our Behavior Techs, or Therapeutic Program Workers as they call them in Ohio, are entry level. Basically you need a driver's license, a HS diploma and can read and write. Here they make $14+ to start and once you get into the state system you can usually bid into other positions and get first dibs on those. Good luck...and hey, if you wanna move to Ohio, I can help ya out in the job dept.

DoughBoy

Woogally Cute
Wackbag Staff
I'd go straight to a headhunter. At any decent headhunter, you shouldn't be paying anything, the hiring company pays.