Fire Stick issues

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem. I will be watching a show on the Fire Stick (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon mainly) and for no reason the show will stop and boot me back to the home screen. It might happen 2-3 times in an hour long show. Just wondering if this is an internet glitch or if my stick is faulty, and if so, are there any fixes?

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
How many apps do you have loaded up on the stick? Maybe it's running out of memory or storage?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
It might be just flaking out due to the beginning stages of component failure. Is it first or second generation? My brother completely cut the cord and has several fire sticks, one for each TV. Some of the original first generation ones that he started out with began to get kinda wonky so he replaced them with second generation units.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
How many apps do you have loaded up on the stick? Maybe it's running out of memory or storage?
This could be it. If you have a lot of apps installed there might not be enough space left over for caching video streams. Try trimming some Apps you don't use.
It also could be a bad power adapter. If you have a spare phone adapter that does 2 amps or better try using it and see if it clears it up.

I had two problematic Firesticks from Amazon. I simply asked for a replacement from Amazon and they kept sending them to me until it finally worked. Ended being a compatibility problem with a VGA adapter I was using. I'm thinking those other two might be okay, so I have spares. I thought it was a heat problem so removed the case, and it didn't crash immediately, but still ran like crap and kept rebooting intermittently.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I don't think there are a lot of apps on there (maybe 10-15....Netflix, Hulu, couple of channels like History, FX, Freeform and A&E). I think it might be dying....it is a first gen (not the voice one). I was hesitant to upgrade but looks like with the amount of use it has been getting lately it might be time.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
I've got a first gen fire stick, it's VERY sluggish. I also have a Fire TV first gen box, works flawlessly. I just got a Fire TV cube, not real impressed yet, because whenever I want to use the Alexa functionality it insists on playing out through the TV. Can't figure out how to disable that so I can stream music through the cube itself.

My Rokus are all great, except Roku is cracking down big time on gray area channels like M3U players.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I actually need Kodi, Roku, and the Firestick because each one has their own strengths. My Roku is an old Roku 2 so it's slow and unresponsive somethings trying close an App. The Roku and Firestick are needed for legit streaming services and Kodi for the questionable free ones. The Firestick has the better Web Browser for Live Streaming Live from the Compound shows. The App sucks on any platform.

I've not had any problems with the new Firestick since using a different VGA adapter.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
I have a Firestick that I bought at least 3, maybe 4 years ago that gets heavy use. I bring it with me when traveling and I almost always use it over watching anything that is offered on hotel cable. It still works pretty good. A little slow sometimes but I'm not complaining.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
I actually need Kodi, Roku, and the Firestick because each one has their own strengths. My Roku is an old Roku 2 so it's slow and unresponsive somethings trying close an App. The Roku and Firestick are needed for legit streaming services and Kodi for the questionable free ones. The Firestick has the better Web Browser for Live Streaming Live from the Compound shows. The App sucks on any platform.

I've not had any problems with the new Firestick since using a different VGA adapter.
VGA adapter? Fire Stick plugs into HDMI and powers off USB/power brick.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Amazon is having their Prime Day on July 16 and their line of tablets and Fire TV stuff will be discounted also so I may pick up one of their Fire Cubes if it’s 4K UHD capable. I need to look at the physical size of it too to see if it will travel well.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Amazon is having their Prime Day on July 16 and their line of tablets and Fire TV stuff will be discounted also so I may pick up one of their Fire Cubes if it’s 4K UHD capable. I need to look at the physical size of it too to see if it will travel well.
Thanks for the heads up...I will try to hang tight for that

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
It is 4k ready, it's fairly small. Smaller physical footprint than the original Fire TV, the square one without the stupid pigtail that hung from the back of the TV.

Specs:
it's 3.4"x3.4"x3" in size. Pretty small.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Okay, Amazon's being retarded and won't let me link to the page. It's got shit tons of embedded media in it, which is what's fucking it up.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
VGA adapter? Fire Stick plugs into HDMI and powers off USB/power brick.
Works for me. I'm limited on my number of HDMI ports so using the VGA adapter for the Firestick. I think the first adapter I used drew too much power from the firestick.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Works for me. I'm limited on my number of HDMI ports so using the VGA adapter for the Firestick. I think the first adapter I used drew too much power from the firestick.
Ah, gotcha.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I tried Kodi on the Firestick, but it was slow and kludgy. I recently retired my Acer Revo 1600 nettop as my Kodi Box. I installed Kodi on my Raspberry Pi 3. The Acer was great, but there was only Legacy Kodi support and couldn't get the latest version of OpenELC and kodi. Some apps were not always compatible. It runs great on the Raspberry PI. I honestly didn't think the RP3 had enough horsepower after trying Kodi on the Firestick, but it's works great. The only downside is it doesn't have a big HD to store media like the Acer, but it mosty just streamed content anyway.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I finally got rid of my cable box and got the AirTv box with Sling TV. Which lets you do Sling TV (obviously) and over the air as well has a built in Chromecast all from one like main menu. Pretty easy to set up and use well except for the remote which is a little odd to use. Best part even with HBO still way cheaper then the fucking cable company.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I have 3 fire sticks and 1 fire tv. I have Kodi loaded on all of them but get the spinning cog wheel quite a bit. I also get source to slow when the movie/tv from Kodi when watching. I want to avoid that but don’t know if it is my internet(distance to box to far), the free the watching from Kodi or the fire stick itself. If anyone has that issue let me know what you think it is

I also am thinking of getting rid of directv and going with ps vue. Anyone use that service? I am a little concerned about going through the internet since I have never done that. I don’t want to be watching tv especially live tv and have the tv pixelate or freeze. I am thinking of getting a mesh system from ubiquiti since I have one of their routers now (AP I think). I have some good reviews with that but would like to know what anyone here thinks.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I have 3 fire sticks and 1 fire tv. I have Kodi loaded on all of them but get the spinning cog wheel quite a bit. I also get source to slow when the movie/tv from Kodi when watching. I want to avoid that but don’t know if it is my internet(distance to box to far), the free the watching from Kodi or the fire stick itself. If anyone has that issue let me know what you think it is

I also am thinking of getting rid of directv and going with ps vue. Anyone use that service? I am a little concerned about going through the internet since I have never done that. I don’t want to be watching tv especially live tv and have the tv pixelate or freeze. I am thinking of getting a mesh system from ubiquiti since I have one of their routers now (AP I think). I have some good reviews with that but would like to know what anyone here thinks.
See if you internet provider puts a cap on bandwidth... one of the Cable companies in Canada was doing that and got sued as you were basically forced to use their services cuz if you streamed some movies or whatever you would go over your internet cap.

Hmm they still have it for the shit plans... like 5 Gig of data ain't a lot now a days.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet