Fired for drug abuse? here's $19MM for your troubles

greensnacks

Dec 20, 2004

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
"It's long, it's hard, it's not for the weak of heart," Johnson-Klein said outside court. "But it works, and I'm just very thankful it worked today."

Best legal quote ever.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
This sort of thing is why I keep saying there needs to be serious tort reform in our country, to prevent ridiculous bullshit like this.

I say that AS a lawyer.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of our elected officials are, or were, lawyers at some point, so they're not going to really do anything to derail the gravy train.

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
This sort of thing is why I keep saying there needs to be serious tort reform in our country, to prevent ridiculous bullshit like this.

I say that AS a lawyer.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of our elected officials are, or were, lawyers at some point, so they're not going to really do anything to derail the gravy train.
"The university said an investigation revealed Johnson-Klein obtained a half-full bottle of Vicodin in September 2004 from one of her players and acknowledged taking one of the pills."

It does seem that the school overreacted when they fired her for taking one vicodin though.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
"The university said an investigation revealed Johnson-Klein obtained a half-full bottle of Vicodin in September 2004 from one of her players and acknowledged taking one of the pills."

It does seem that the school overreacted when they fired her for taking one vicodin though.
Schools Don't fuck around with losing NCAA eligilibility..rather than risk a potential problem they get rid of the coach and Vicodin is on the Banned List..and coaches have to abide by the same rules as their athletes

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
If only someone called her a bitch

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be

I say that AS a lawyer.

Tort reform is great, but there also has to be some accountability among the legal profession themselves. The only one who would take this kind of case is an ambulance chaser. You have to do something to get rid of them since they're the ones clogging the system with stupid cases.

I think there also has to be an overhaul of the jury process. Sorry, but I see what comes into my building every Monday morning because they got a summons for jury duty. To think that these people are going to decide not only civil matters but criminal is downright frightening. I realize that the jury system is an important facet of our society, but I get douche chills every time I walk into the central jury room & see these tools.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
So bar the ambulance chasers from the hospital unless they have a verified appointment, or have some sort of hospital liason that can give the patient whatever legal information would pertain to his/her injury, and just have them decide on their own what to do.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
How the fuck does a trial like this last 8 weeks?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Outlaw punitive damages. That fixes everything. Since when does someone deserve more than the actual damages they have suffered anyway? Just to teach the losing party a lesson? Fuck that. It only works in John Grisham books.