First Annual Free Ageny Fan Filing 07/08

prozac

I Munch on Bloody Tampons for Protein
Nov 15, 2004
medication cabinet
Good topic on today's FM show. Fans should choose a team of thier liking before a season starts since players are not faithful we as fans should not be faithful either. With that said I can't leave my Yanks but I usually pick abother team and follow them. I have to pick a National leauge team.

I can't file just yet

AND YOU??????

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
Good topic on today's FM show. Fans should choose a team of thier liking before a season starts since players are not faithful we as fans should not be faithful either. With that said I can't leave my Yanks but I usually pick abother team and follow them. I have to pick a National leauge team.

I can't file just yet

AND YOU??????
I can't leave my the Tigers, Lions, Pistons, or Red Wings. However I will pick the Phillies as my NL team and the Pats as my AFC team. I'll have to do some research on basketball and hockey.

Xtra Krispy

Feb 19, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I've been an Oakland A's, 49ers and a San Jose Sharks fan since I was a little kid growing up in the SF Bay Area and I just can't leave them.

In Basketball I kinda float around but have recently become a Golden State Warriors fan since they play in Oakland.

I never had a college affiliation, but since my Wife is from Ohio, I root for Ohio State now.

Goober

AKA Eqyptian Teabag the Friendly Arab
Sep 1, 2005
Washington, D.C.
I am backing the Washington Generals this year. I think it is their year to beat the 'you know who's' from 'you know where'. :action-sm

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Isnt this just a more creative way to cal yourself a fairweather fan?

it's a way for people outside of title towns to claim a stake in our greatness,,,we shall not allow it!!!!!!!!! :icon_mrgr

Xtra Krispy

Feb 19, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
it's a way for people outside of title towns to claim a stake in our greatness,,,we shall not allow it!!!!!!!!! :icon_mrgr
I think the Team that was the most recent to win should be off limits in the free agency. I hate people that jump on the bandwagon soooo much. I think people like you, Norton, should be able to bask in your teams victory as you have been there and supported them for a long time unlike these people out here who have never even been to Boston but are running out to buy Red Sox gear.

Imagine how many Rockies/Angels/Indians/Yankees hats you would have seen if any of them won the series. I know the Yankees and Red Sox get a lot of people on the bandwagon out here in the west, but imagine the "Closet" Rockies fans you would have had to hear from if they would have won.

edzeppe

Dec 11, 2004
I absolutely can not understand the logic of switching teams. Even if i started to like another team, i cant fathom NOT liking my local teams most. I believe anyone who doesnt is a phony. I got into this debate on another board, and I came up with the following rules where some exceptions can be made.

1.) Your parent (usually father) grew up in a different area, and follows that team still, and you grow up learning to root for so and so.

2.) You come from an area that does not have any sports team nearby. At that point you can pick a favorite. They should however make geographic sense. A person in Nevada my root for the 49ers, but not the Cowboys.

3.) Secondary team rooting is allowed. These exceptions apply to other teams you "like" but can not be your favorite team.

A.) For instance, i have always rooted for the Cubs (unless playing against the Tigers) because in elementary school I would come home from school and watch the games on WGN.
B.) Secondary teams as a result of a favored player are okay. Example- A michigan fan who roots for the patriots.
C.) Extended Family ties to the city. I had family in Cincinatti, and they would get me reds gear when i was a kid.
D.) Historically bad team that has a season out of nowhere, that you start to follow because its a good story. **
E.) Video Game favortism. When playing against friends, only 1 can be the local team, so you adopt another team to use while playing. This team can not be one of the top 5-7 teams in the league any given season, and you develop some level of attachment to the team. ***

4.) Baseball only exception. Due to the differences between the AL and NL, it is okay to have a non geographic Primary team (1a.) that you root for in any scenerio except a world series match up between Geographic team (1.) and Other league Favorite.

*these exceptions do not apply to non-geographic fans of The New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys or Los Angeles Lakers.

** This is the one exception to "bandwagon" fandom. The perfect example is the Atlanta Braves. Probably the worst franchise of the 1980's- they came out of nowhere one year to be good, and no one could forsee the fact they would dominate for a decade and a half.

*** This applies ONLY to Video Games. Becoming a Mets fan because you have David Wright on your fantasy team does not qualify under this exception.

Valk

Spreading the Virus on NJ GSP 91 to 148
Aug 20, 2006
Point Pleasant, NJ
I'll stick with the 49ers as I always have. All the other sports are too boring to actually watch.

Probably Stoned

I am not good at this.[edited]
Jul 26, 2005
Humboldt County Ca.
I would love to love the Oakland Raiders, but until Al Davis is dead I cannot support his team. Until then, I am a reverse fan of football teams, I watch to see the Cowboys, Broncos, 49's, and Redskins lose games.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
This is why I mostly follow college teams. Fuck professional sports.

Mort

How Many Assholes We Got On This Ship, Anyhow?
Feb 15, 2006
Seattle, WA
Living in Seattle, its easy to follow teams that are out of my geographic realm.

The Mariners? One season with 116 wins, everybody was on the bandwagon. Then they collapsed like a flan in a cupboard. (<--bonus points for whoever identifies the originator of that line) So, since I began watching baseball in 1989 when Will Clark and the Giants were handing the Cubs their asses in the NLCS, I'll continue to be a Giants fan. Not a Bonds fan, though.

The Seahawks? Again, one good season. I admit to being on that bandwagon, because my grandfather was a fan since the beginning, and he got to see them in the Super Bowl before he died. I'll still root for them, but only because I haven't found a team I like better.

The Sonics? They're so bad, they're moving out of town. The Storm won a WNBA Championship, but nobody noticed. It wasn't even the lead story on the local news. Good riddance to both, I say. Bring us the NHL instead, then I'll be there.

Pro sports suck, in my opinion. We've got two rookie league teams in my hometown, baseball and hockey, and I'd much rather go there. Its played by dudes that are making about a buck fifty, just because they love doing it.

DiscountHarry

We get it, Krisko has nice cleavage.
Jul 20, 2007
Columbus, OH
I absolutely can not understand the logic of switching teams. Even if i started to like another team, i cant fathom NOT liking my local teams most.
In this day and age I have to say you can follow whoever you want. With all of the sports packages available, Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, Center Ice, whatever the NBA package is called and the internet you can follow any team just as easily as the local team, if you even have a local team.

No NFL team here, no MLB team here, no NBA team here and I graduated from the University of South Florida, but I am not making the Buckeyes my favorite team just because the stadium is 15 minutes away.

Probably Stoned

I am not good at this.[edited]
Jul 26, 2005
Humboldt County Ca.
I do understand fan loyalty, but when all of the original players have left or try to stay beyond their prime, why be a fan of a shitty team. I don't want to root and cheer for a loosing proposition. Growing up I loved the 49er's, now I would be ashamed to wear any SF team colors.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

I can't file just yet
You can jump on our Dodger bandwagon. Joe Torre did. And if we get A-Rod...

I know the Yankees and Red Sox get a lot of people on the bandwagon out here in the west, but imagine the "Closet" Rockies fans you would have had to hear from if they would have won.
You have to remember there's also a lot of Yankee haters all over the place, not just Boston. Part of it's jealousy, but part of it is the perception that under Steinbrenner the Yankees have tried to buy their talent instead of from within.

I know a few people pointed out that they're doing more of that lately and I was pretty impressed with Hughes coming in after Clemens or Mussina's meltdown.

Manny and Big Papi were on Leno and Conan last week, here's the vids in case you missed it:

[yt]SHIsQZg0PjQ[/yt]

[yt]-dscNJWNOL4[/yt]

rustytrombone1

May 26, 2005
Connecticut
If there is a team out there willing to adequately compensate me for my support, they need to contact my agent.

ddberry

Dec 4, 2006
I may just do what my 8 y/o daughter does. She roots for whoever is winning, not who is leading in the stats, but for whoever is winning the game she is watching. She hates rooting for losing teams, she finds it embarassing (that is why she wanted to quit cheerleading the first time her team lost).

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I can't leave my the Tigers, Lions, Pistons, or Red Wings. However I will pick the Phillies as my NL team and the Pats as my AFC team. I'll have to do some research on basketball and hockey.
The Lions have been my crappy team to root for for the past 5-6 years. I tell everyone every year that I'm rooting for them because I knew one year they'd be good again and now I'm not a bandwagon jumper. :)

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
The Lions have been my crappy team to root for for the past 5-6 years. I tell everyone every year that I'm rooting for them because I knew one year they'd be good again and now I'm not a bandwagon jumper. :)
Five to six years? You're being a little generous there aren't you? I was thinking more on the timeframe of 10-15.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
I do this with college basketball every year. I pick a team that I think will be fun then follow them for the year.

Mags

Edgelord
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
I wish some of the ONA "fans" would go sign with another show.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
well sweetie, it looks like this year may be your year :)

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
After watching the Bulls go down 0-3, I'm tempted to bail! :p
I've only been a fan for 21 years, why leave now?