First Man - Ryan Gosling and Corey Stroll Blast Off to Space

Dec 12, 2007
"You're a bunch of boys. You don't have anything under control!" - Wife scolding NASA astronauts

That was so angering my chest got tight with rage/disgust.

Once again, they HAVE to make the woman more important than she was. She made him breakfast and took care of the kids. Nothing else.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
It’s like another “The Right Stuff”

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
When this was first announced at CinemaCon I predicted it would win best picture. Still standing by that prediction.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
When this was first announced at CinemaCon I predicted it would win best picture. Still standing by that prediction.
It's definitely a contender, but I suspect they'll award it to The Women of Marwen, BlacKkKlansman, or A Star is Born.

First Man will almost certainly win a bunch of technical awards though.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Another fucking trailer that spoils the ending.
What if the ending reveals the landing was a fake?

Celebrating the achievements of white men no longer seems like the Oscar bait it once was. I predict that like Dunkirk it will be a very well made movie perhaps deserving of an Oscar, but something is sure to come along that is a better fit for the current climate.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
It's Hidden Figures for misogynistic, cis-gendered, KKK Trump's America white males

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Does every 1960's era space movie have to have the obligatory "sit around the dinner table and try to explain highly technical concepts to the children" scene?

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
First Man?, First MAN!!!!!!!!!

Why dont they just call it First WHITE man while they’re at it?!

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Ok @LiddyRules @Pigdango what’s the takeaway here?

Buzz Aldrin slams ‘First Man’ for not showing US flag during moon landing
By Lukas Mikelionis, Fox News

Legendary Apollo 11 astronaut Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin took a swipe at the upcoming movie “First Man” late Sunday for its director’s decision not to show the planting of the American flag on the moon during the historic 1969 mission.
Aldrin, 88, who was the second man to step on the moon, behind crewmate Neil Armstrong, posted historical photos of the flag-planting and added the hashtag “Proud to be an American.”
Armstrong, who died at age 82 in 2012, is the subject of “First Man,” which stars Ryan Gosling and is scheduled to hit theaters next month.
In previous posts Saturday, Aldrin shared photos of himself wearing a T-shirt with the tagline “Buzz Aldrin, Future Martian” that shows an astronaut planting the American flag on the Red Planet.
He also retweeted a photo of himself saluting while standing next to an enlarged photo from the Apollo 11 mission that includes the flag on the moon.
But despite the controversy, Gosling, a native of Canada, defended the decision not to portray the flag-planting scene, saying at the Venice Film Festival that the decision was deliberate because the moon landing “transcended countries and borders.”
“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it,” Gosling told reporters. “I also think Neil was extremely humble, as were many of these astronauts, and time and time again he deferred the focus from himself to the 400,000 people who made the mission possible.”

Many mocked and criticized Gosling’s decision, with US Sen. Marco Rubio decrying it as “total lunacy” and ignoring historical reality.
“The American people paid for that mission, on rockets built by Americans, with American technology & carrying American astronauts. It wasn’t a UN mission,” Rubio tweeted.
But on Friday, Rick and Mark Armstrong, sons of the late astronaut, along with biographer James R. Hansen, released a statement pushing back against criticism and saying director Damien Chazelle’s film is “quite the opposite” of being “anti-American.”

They added that the remarks about the film have been made largely by those who haven’t actually seen the movie yet.
“This story is human and it is universal. Of course, it celebrates an America achievement. It also celebrates an achievement ‘for all mankind,’” the statement said, adding that “the filmmakers chose to focus on Neil looking back at the earth, his walk to Little West Crater, his unique, personal experience of completing this journey, a journey that has seen so many incredible highs and devastating lows.”
Chazelle himself also released a statement, insisting the omitting of the planting of the US flag had nothing to do with politics.
“The flag being physically planted into the surface is one of several moments of the Apollo 11 lunar EVA [extravehicular activity] that I chose not to focus upon,” he said on Friday.
“To address the question of whether this was a political statement, the answer is no. My goal with this movie was to share with audiences the unseen, unknown aspects of America’s mission to the moon — particularly Neil Armstrong’s personal saga and what he may have been thinking and feeling during those famous few hours,” the director added.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
I get that this is all a cynical ploy to placate the Chinese market, but I'm actually annoyed at this one. That's not something that typically happens to me.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

Legendary Apollo 11 astronaut Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin took a swipe at the upcoming movie “First Man” late Sunday for its director’s decision not to show the planting of the American flag on the moon during the historic 1969 mission.
Aldrin, 88, who was the second man to step on the moon, behind crewmate Neil Armstrong, posted historical photos of the flag-planting and added the hashtag “Proud to be an American.”
Armstrong, who died at age 82 in 2012, is the subject of “First Man,” which stars Ryan Gosling and is scheduled to hit theaters next month.
In previous posts Saturday, Aldrin shared photos of himself wearing a T-shirt with the tagline “Buzz Aldrin, Future Martian” that shows an astronaut planting the American flag on the Red Planet.
He also retweeted a photo of himself saluting while standing next to an enlarged photo from the Apollo 11 mission that includes the flag on the moon.
But despite the controversy, Gosling, a native of Canada, defended the decision not to portray the flag-planting scene, saying at the Venice Film Festival that the decision was deliberate because the moon landing “transcended countries and borders.”
“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it,” Gosling told reporters. “I also think Neil was extremely humble, as were many of these astronauts, and time and time again he deferred the focus from himself to the 400,000 people who made the mission possible.”

Many mocked and criticized Gosling’s decision, with US Sen. Marco Rubio decrying it as “total lunacy” and ignoring historical reality.
“The American people paid for that mission, on rockets built by Americans, with American technology & carrying American astronauts. It wasn’t a UN mission,” Rubio tweeted.
But on Friday, Rick and Mark Armstrong, sons of the late astronaut, along with biographer James R. Hansen, released a statement pushing back against criticism and saying director Damien Chazelle’s film is “quite the opposite” of being “anti-American.”

They added that the remarks about the film have been made largely by those who haven’t actually seen the movie yet.
“This story is human and it is universal. Of course, it celebrates an America achievement. It also celebrates an achievement ‘for all mankind,’” the statement said, adding that “the filmmakers chose to focus on Neil looking back at the earth, his walk to Little West Crater, his unique, personal experience of completing this journey, a journey that has seen so many incredible highs and devastating lows.”
Chazelle himself also released a statement, insisting the omitting of the planting of the US flag had nothing to do with politics.
“The flag being physically planted into the surface is one of several moments of the Apollo 11 lunar EVA [extravehicular activity] that I chose not to focus upon,” he said on Friday.
“To address the question of whether this was a political statement, the answer is no. My goal with this movie was to share with audiences the unseen, unknown aspects of America’s mission to the moon — particularly Neil Armstrong’s personal saga and what he may have been thinking and feeling during those famous few hours,” the director added.
I was legitimately hoping this board wouldn't find out. Or that I wouldn't be summoned to comment.

Here goes. I'm perfectly fine with it.

Kidding. I'm still looking forward to the film. I'm still going to see it. But in all honesty, this kind of taints the movie for me and I legitimately hope they add it in after the outcry. I'm not about rah rah patriotism, but denying the history or the accomplishment for whatever reason is ridiculous. It's not like merging characters or shrinking things for time, it's a flag.

That the answer you expected?!?!

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
I get that this is all a cynical ploy to placate the Chinese market, but I'm actually annoyed at this one. That's not something that typically happens to me.
I was legitimately hoping this board wouldn't find out. Or that I wouldn't be summoned to comment.

Kidding. I'm still looking forward to the film. I'm still going to see it. But in all honesty, this kind of taints the movie for me and I legitimately hope they add it in after the outcry. I'm not about rah rah patriotism, but denying the history or the accomplishment for whatever reason is ridiculous. It's not like merging characters or shrinking things for time, it's a flag.

I will say this, anytime the foreign markets are cited as an excuse for this type of thing is bullshit. The foreign versions can cut around it.

Back when Superman Returns came out and Superman’s creed became (via Perry White) “Truth, Justice,.....all that stuff” they used that bullshit excuse too. The line could have easily be changed in the foreign language dubs and an alternate take could have been used for foreign English speaking countries. Bush was president at the time and there was embarrassment from the production over it. I strongly suspect a similar theme here. Any expression of national pride under Trump is essentially the Third Reich.

Good example of “Get woke, go broke” as this decision will likely cost them several million of domestic Box Office (assuming they don’t change it, but the damage may already have been done). And is China going to have one lick of interest in this movie?

Last edited:

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004

I haven’t seen the movie and am not going to form an opinion until I do, but my initial thought was that I’m aggravated that it’s something I even have to think about while I’m watching a movie I was genuinely looking forward to.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004

I haven’t seen the movie and am not going to form an opinion until I do, but my initial thought was that I’m aggravated that it’s something I even have to think about while I’m watching a movie I was genuinely looking forward to.
And I actually half seriously the title was going to be trouble.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I will say this, anytime the foreign markets are cited as an excuse for this type of thing is bullshit. The foreign versions can cut around it.

Back when Superman Returns came out and Superman’s creed became (via Perry White) “Truth, Justice,.....all that stuff” they used that bullshit excuse too. The line could have easily be changed in the foreign language dubs and an alternate take could have been used for foreign English speaking countries. Bush was president at the time and there was embarrassment from the production over it. I strongly suspect a similar theme here. Any expression of national pride under Trump is essentially the Third Reich.

Good example of “Get woke, go broke” as this decision will likely cost them several million of domestic Box Office (assuming they don’t change it, but the damage may already have been done). And is China going to have one lick of interest in this movie?
I know we're never going to agree on this and we can't use my alternate history mirror to see who's right and who's wrong but...

1) I think they'd still eliminate the American flag if Hilary was elected for the same reason.

2) I don't think this will cost them millions of dollars in domestic revenue. I honestly don't think there's a large amount of people who will boycott this movie because of the absence of the American flag. Some? Certainly. But definitely not as much as you imagine there'd be. People will be annoyed and find it ridiculous - like myself - but not find it egregious enough to chalk this off our viewing list.

It's like the Star Wars box office argument @Pigdango analyzed. There are some people who like to believe that the things that bothered them about TLJ (an obsession with SJW-ism/anti-SJW-ism) cost Disney hundreds of millions of dollars in lost revenue between Solo and TLJ. But most people don't notice, don't bother, or don't care about the things you find offensive. Very few things are offensive enough to most people to get them to change their plans. TLJ did poorlyish (I think the Internet has vastly overstated how many people disliked the movie) and Solo failed for so many reasons beyond Holdo having purple hair.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
I know we're never going to agree on this and we can't use my alternate history mirror to see who's right and who's wrong but...

1) I think they'd still eliminate the American flag if Hilary was elected for the same reason.
We’ll never know (though part of me believes that Hillary will give it one more go for 2020) but I can’t help but believe that the tolerance of national pride depends on who’s running things. Would anyone have balked at being proud of America when the first black president was in office? And then subsequently the first woman?

2) I don't think this will cost them millions of dollars in domestic revenue. I honestly don't think there's a large amount of people who will boycott this movie because of the absence of the American flag. Some? Certainly. But definitely not as much as you imagine there'd be. People will be annoyed and find it ridiculous - like myself - but not find it egregious enough to chalk this off our viewing list.
Well, no one yet is talking boycotts (I think the term is being thrown around too loosely. Certain people deciding not to see the movie because of a suspicion that something about will offend their sensibilities isn’t a boycott) but it wouldn’t surprise me if organized fronts against the movie start popping up. You can’t really compare this to a fantasy space opera. This was a true story and the flag planting was a very real aspect of it. Remember also that the space race was against the Soviet Union which made the Americsn flag that much more important. This isn’t some partially imagined SJW arguement. It would be like if the movie “Miracle” give the USA team completly non descript uniforms.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I almost wish was the movie was never made now.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
To be fair, do we really need to see the American flag planted in a moonscape Hollywood studio, again?

Fred West

Jul 4, 2014
This reminded me of the time in 2002 (I think) when New York was going to erect a statue of the three fire fighters raising the US flag in the debris of the World Trade Center.

But they wanted to have one white, one black and a hispanic fireman instead of the three crackers in the photo. The firemen weren't having it...

Opponents of the statue had collected the signatures of more than 1,000 firefighters who objected to the design, saying it had sacrificed historical verisimilitude for political correctness.