OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

First Official Trial Using Human Embryonic Stem Cells Halted

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...search-laying-off-staff-14951932#.TsLF31vRCT4

2. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Jimmy is gonna be pissed.

3. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

4. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

But, but, Jimmy said Obama will save us all with stem cells.

5. Kugzilla

Kugzilla Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.

My dad died of that multiple myloma they mention at the end. Was a rough one.

6. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

my dad died of the same thing, i wouldn't wish that death on anyone.

7. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Thank you Free Market for helping find cures to these terrible diseases!

8. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Don't you think that if there really was that much promise in stem cell research, that someone somewhere in the world would spend their money to perfect it? What about nations with socialized medicine? Instead of treating the effects of diseases for years and incurring shitloads of costs, why not develop these miracle stem cell treatments and have them on their merry way to continue being a productive and taxable member of society?

9. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

Now Jimmy will need to base his vote on an equally important factor such as whether the candidate prefers white or yellow cheddar.

10. MayrMeninoCrash

Not when there's more profit on making cholesterol drugs so people can eat more McDonalds and boner pills to help men get it up. No profit in curing real diseases.

11. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Stay classy.

12. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

You don't think that curing a 20 year old cancer patient will lead to decades of that patient buying shitloads more drugs for normal ailments and diseases that occur later in life?

13. MayrMeninoCrash

Compare the cost of years of symptom treatments versus a one-time cure and you do the math. MAYBE at some point in the future there will be a demand from this patient for another one of your drugs, or you could sell him everything you've got now.

14. Party Rooster

Those other countries are beating us.

All things being equal, people would rather go with quicker returns on their money when investing in drug research. That's why you've got 10 different cholesterol drugs on the market that are just variations of each other.

When the quick-profit motivation is removed it lets university, government, and other non-profits work on stuff that's harder to develop. Where do you think the Rick Perry's HPV/Cervical cancer vaccine came from? Then the universities and government license the rights to the drug companies to market it. Yay crony capitalism! :action-sm

15. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Because Jebus.

16. JonBenetRamsey

if you ever talk to someone who works for a pharmaceutical, you will become utterly enraged at how they pick and choose what to develop.

17. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Why don't we let them "beat us"? Why does America always have to create something first at exponential costs to the taxpayers? Let Canada, the UK, or France spend $200 billion on stem cell research, and then when they figure it out we'll use it.

You expect me to believe the government will spend the money correctly simply because it's the "right thing to do"? We've seen how well that worked with green energy companies.

I'm assuming it's the same way other companies decide with projects to undertake... they pick the ones with the highest returns vs lowest risk/investment.

18. Party Rooster

Because...
    [​IMG]

You don't realize how "research" works, do you? Part of the learning process is failure, that's what leads to brilliance. Edison tried inventing the light bulb 1000 different times. Not to mention the whole "two heads are better than one" philosophy when it comes to research.

By having universities and other learning institutions involved in the development, it is much better in helping them understand the processes involved, not to mention all the things that are discovered by accident in the learning process. Look at why Chinese electronics, military equipment, and other products are shit. They just reverse-engineer the product or steal the technology halfway through development without learning how to develop it from the ground up.

And you do realize we license our discoveries to for-profit companies right? That's why I posted the HPV vaccine link.

If people would realize that funding for the NSF and NIH actually is one of the best returns on our investment, there probably wouldn't be so much fauxrage about it.

Do you even realize the process for getting an NIH grant? The best and brightest research scientists in this country apply for those. Their requests are peer reviewed by medical experts, not bureaucrats, and grants are decided on merits, not profitability.

And something like 65% of the top advances in medicine in the 20th century came from federally funded research. Can't find where I remember reading that, but there's this:

I realize the Nobel Prize has lost all its luster of late, but scientists funded by NIH lay claim to 122 Nobel Prizes.

You don't see the difference in quality of life between medical breakthroughs and a cool new smartphone?

Oh, and this post was sponsored by:

:action-sm

[​IMG]

19. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

You mean something like this?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ts-penis-size-in-gay-community/#ixzz1duYvtJPa

20. Party Rooster

Way to cherry-pick there Josh. But you forgot to highlight this:

I'm not saying that it's not a stupid allocation of taxpayer money, but to try and discredit the whole organization because of it is ridiculous. Sounds like the money spent was in the thousands of dollars, not millions. If that's the best a bible-thumping right wing organization (Traditional Values Coalition) could come up with in a six month investigation, I'd say they failed.

21. JonBenetRamsey

that and the cost of testing. if the cost of testing is too high, it's killed in the idea stage.

22. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Meh, it was the first result for "NIH waste of money" on Google. Yeah I saw that the money wasn't technically used to measure anyone's filthy dick, but you have that whole "fungibility" thing that I don't like. You know like how taxpayer money goes to Planned Parenthood but "only for testing and contraceptives" and not the abortions that take place in the exact same building by the same company.

23. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

duplicate post

24. Party Rooster

So we're going to ignore all the good they do, and the fact that BECAUSE of easy access to contraception, it actually means LESS unwanted babies being aborted? I believe that's called "throwing the baby out with the bath water that was vacuumed out with a shopvac." :icon_cool

25. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Jesus Christ OAPC, I'll read some long posts but that's pretty obnoxious. Even if they did develop useful technology, they absolutely did it at enormous costs. Also, it's simply not the government's place to do this type of shit. I have no issue with privately-funded testing, but don't want my tax dollars going to it. Whoever develops the next phenomenal technology from stem cell research will probably become a billionaire, so let the free market work towards it.