Flat-Screen Slump Means Trouble Ahead For Best Buy, Circuit City

So get off your ass and get one while the getting is good. Prices are actually getting better.

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=67282

A report from Deutsche Bank's Equity Focus Group says that sales for the flat-screen sets continue to be sluggish, with consumers a little too strapped to go shopping for pricey electronics.

"Flat-panel shipment dollars have decelerated in the second quarter," the company says. "In turn, we believe inventories are creeping up and price declines have picked up steam," possibly impacting second-quarter results at both Circuit City and Best Buy.

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
The Chinese have pretty succesfully "dumped" cheap product all over the market regarding flat screens. They've "commoditized" the marketplace really fast in the past two years or so. What does that mean for the consumer? Plenty of really cheap flat screens. Trouble with this? Yeah, they are all bullshit and the quality blows. The Japs maintain 100% quality control, everything is tested before it leaves the plant. The Chinese??? fuck it, they could care less, just get it on the ship.

I've seen such a proliferation of no-name flat screen brands it defies common sense that people would buy into this cheap shit yet they do.

Numerous cheap 720p flat screens out there. Do yourself a favor though and buy the REAL high def capable screens that can handle 1080i signals if you can receive a 1080i signal where you're living at, the difference is really amazing.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
somebody told me in January that prices will be falling in the Fall. Guess he was right. I've been thinking about getting a new TV to replace my 32" Wega (CRT) and best buy has no interest for 3 years....hmmmm

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Nice
Looks like some good holiday shopping this year.

stillbornstew

blogging loser
Jul 26, 2005
NOLA
ok, so i graduate radiology school. get my re-enlistment bonus and bought a 46'' sony 1080i set (i like it, i wanted +50'' but they don't have them here in spain). bought it back in april of this year. so yesterday i'm at the sight and sound shop and they have my same tv, size and all, but it's 1080p and has 2 HDMI inputs.

my question is: is there a huge difference between 1080i/1080p formats?

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
ok, so i graduate radiology school. get my re-enlistment bonus and bought a 46'' sony 1080i set (i like it, i wanted +50'' but they don't have them here in spain). bought it back in april of this year. so yesterday i'm at the sight and sound shop and they have my same tv, size and all, but it's 1080p and has 2 HDMI inputs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449-6361600-1.html

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Yes and no. If you are looking at native 1080p source material then yes. If you're looking at interlaced material deinterlaced then not altogether that much.

For OTA broadcasts 720p/1080i is good enough. But 1080/24p source material displayed without interlacing or 3:2 pulldown does look way better. As does 1080/30p on a 1080/30p set.

stillbornstew

blogging loser
Jul 26, 2005
NOLA
thanks bro. yeah read that, but i'm still naive to the technology to really understand if i'm screwed.

bogey- ty. i guess i'm just stuck w/ an 1080i 46''. i might go to sight and sound and se if they'll let me swap. still have the box and the tv's still immaculate.

oh well, could be worse, i could have the HIV. :action-sm

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
thanks bro. yeah read that, but i'm still naive to the technology to really understand if i'm screwed.

bogey- ty. i guess i'm just stuck w/ an 1080i 46''. i might go to sight and sound and se if they'll let me swap. still have the box and the tv's still immaculate.

oh well, could be worse, i could have the HIV. :action-sm
Unless you get an XA2/A20 or any blu-ray player, it doesn't matter. Most stuff isn't 1080p.

Unless you get an XA2/A20 or any blu-ray player, it doesn't matter. Most stuff isn't 1080p.
True. Most stuff isn't. But that that is is so much better with progressive. And I'm sure once the HD disc wars are over there will be a flood of stuff released that's more accessible to use. May as well try to stay as far ahead as possible.

stillbornstew

blogging loser
Jul 26, 2005
NOLA
i'm just pissed that i knew this was going to happen. drop some good money on a new set, and not even 4 months later an upgrade comes out and it's cheaper. fucking hell.