'Flip This House' star accused of fraud

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070601/ap_en_tv/house_flipper_investigation

'Flip This House' star accused of fraud
By DOUG GROSS, Associated Press Writer

On an episode of A&E's popular reality series "Flip This House," Atlanta businessman Sam Leccima sits in front of a run-down house and calls buying and selling real estate his passion.

Now authorities and legal filings claim that Leccima's true passion was a series of scams that included faking the home renovations shown on the cable TV show and claiming to have sold houses he never owned.

McGee and others say Leccima's episodes of "Flip This House," A&E's most popular show, were elaborate hoaxes. His friends and family were presented as potential homebuyers and "sold" signs were slapped in front of unsold houses. They say the home repairs — the lynchpin of the show — were actually quick or temporary patch jobs designed to look good on camera.

Leccima says he never claimed to own the homes. While not acknowledging his televised renovations were staged, he didn't deny it and suggested that A&E and Departure Films, the production company that makes the show, knew exactly what he was doing.

"Ask anybody who works in television how a reality show is made and you'll find that ours was a very typical approach," Leccima said in a telephone interview.

When it recently learned of the claims against Leccima, the cable network pulled reruns of his episodes off the air and wiped his mentions from its Web site.

Leccima, 36, presented himself as a successful real estate investor during the 2006 season of the cable show, which depicted him buying, refurbishing and reselling Atlanta-area homes for profits of $77,000 and more. But Leccima doesn't have a real estate license — it was revoked by the Georgia Real Estate Commission in 2005, with the panel ruling he "does not bear a good reputation for honesty, trustworthiness, integrity, and competence." Now he's under investigation by the Georgia Secretary of State's office for securities fraud.

Leccima said his lawyer advised him against talking about the investigation or the claims made by McGee and others. He did say that some of the criticism stems from his high profile.

"I'm a business person and I think I have as many people that like me as don't like me," he said. "Anyone who puts their face on national television should realize they've signed a Faustian deal of sorts."

However, Atlanta-area real estate records show Leccima never owned several of the homes he's been shown fixing up on television.

WAGA-TV in Atlanta, which first aired the claims against Leccima, has shown footage from inside one of the homes, which had mismatched wooden floors and unpainted patched walls that were out of the view of TV cameras on "Flip This House."

"We are dismayed to learn of these allegations," read a statement issued by the network. "A&E Television Networks is not a party to any of the transactions shown in Flip This House and has not received any formal complaints about the properties or sales."

The network — a joint venture of Hearst Corp., Walt Disney Co. and General Electric Co.'s NBC Universal — doesn't investigate claims made by people on the show, opting to take them at their word.

The Better Business Bureau gives Leccima's company, Leccima Capital Partners, LLP, an "unsatisfactory" rating, saying four complaints have been filed against it in three years.

One of the complaint was from McGee, who said she considered Leccima a friend — even vacationing in Brazil with him and his wife. She said the Leccimas stopped returning her calls once she started asking for her money back.

Dan Ward, an Atlanta-area youth minister, said he told state investigators that Leccima took about $100,000 from him to invest in real estate, but, as far as he knows, Leccima never developed anything with it. He hasn't received his money back.

Ward said appearing on the TV show made it easier for Leccima to find such investors: "As soon as that first episode aired, he got phone calls from people saying, 'I love you. Where can I send you some money?'"

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press.

I love watching some of these morons on these house flipping shows. I remember this guy in particular because he was the only black real estate guru I've ever seen on any of them. He of course presented himself as a "pillar of the community". Here's one of his sites:

http://samleccima.com/main.htm

I've seen some pretty grimy shit on that show. All those fucking people, from home flippers, to auto sales people are the grimiest pieces of shit in the world.

One home was the one that supposedly damaged the relationship between two Tony looking brothers that have the fastest growing real estate company in Texas. The house was a wreck, filled with cats, live and dead, roaches, and lots of mice. It was so bad that a bunch of the local cleaners refused to work there.

So they cleaned out the large chunks of shit, which cost like 10 or 20k, then the smell was left behind, along with the roaches and the rats. At this point, they simply used a special paint to seal the biohazard feces of the rats, cat piss, and roach excrement. This is where the brother bowed out because he said the sheet rock needed to go, which I agree on. The other brother said it was fine and went ahead and sealed it because it was going to go over the budget, as his only goal in this show was to turn a profit. Changing the sheetrock was his first choice, but too expensive.

Fucking grimy.

Joe Avezzano

Is this that show hosted by the no-nonsense southern guy that always is a fan of high school and college football in South or North Carolina, and has a sort of sexy understudy?

Is this that show hosted by the no-nonsense southern guy that always is a fan of high school and college football in South or North Carolina, and has a sort of sexy understudy?

Here's the guy. I think he's nailing the understudy. That's her on the lower right.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I always thought the guy was a douche... It'll be cool to watch the outcome of this.

I've seen some pretty grimy shit on that show. All those fucking people, from home flippers, to auto sales people are the grimiest pieces of shit in the world.

One home was the one that supposedly damaged the relationship between two Tony looking brothers that have the fastest growing real estate company in Texas. The house was a wreck, filled with cats, live and dead, roaches, and lots of mice. It was so bad that a bunch of the local cleaners refused to work there.

So they cleaned out the large chunks of shit, which cost like 10 or 20k, then the smell was left behind, along with the roaches and the rats. At this point, they simply used a special paint to seal the biohazard feces of the rats, cat piss, and roach excrement. This is where the brother bowed out because he said the sheet rock needed to go, which I agree on. The other brother said it was fine and went ahead and sealed it because it was going to go over the budget, as his only goal in this show was to turn a profit. Changing the sheetrock was his first choice, but too expensive.

Fucking grimy.
that would have been a great episode if they hadn't faked the bullshit with the brother & then sent the one guy to a shrink. It was so over the top melodramatic I couldn't stand it.

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
Here's the guy. I think he's nailing the understudy. That's her on the lower right.

That is the guy who started the show on A&E. After a season or two, A&E dumped him and picked up new hosts. I think there are still lawsuits pending about who owns the concept and name, etc. He has a new show now on TLC, which competes against the other house flipping shows. There was some controversy too, I think someone made fun of Mexican laborers, pissing people off. The new hosts were a lot more diverse, a pair of Hispanic-heritage brothers, and the guy from Atlanta who is being investigated now. The latest new hosts were a group of guys from the Northeast, including a guy named Than, coincidently, who played in the NFL.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
That guy is a total fuckwad. We don't watch that show mostly because of him.

Flip that house on TLC is a much better show anyway, IMO. It focuses more on the process of the flip rather than an hour drama about the people.

Digital_Trauma

That guy is a total fuckwad. We don't watch that show mostly because of him.

Flip that house on TLC is a much better show anyway, IMO. It focuses more on the process of the flip rather than an hour drama about the people.
I prefer Flip That House, too. They show more realistic situations, where the ending isn't always TV perfect. It has my vote until they start flipping restaurants and concession stands. I mostly only watched Flip This House because the understudy chick, Ginger, looks like and talks with almost the same accent as my ex-girlfriend, who was from Georgia.

Joe Avezzano

That's the show I was thinking about. Flip That House has the DirecTv info channel chick who was once Ms. Canada and has huge jugs.

Digital_Trauma

I think that chick was actually on other shows with similar **** This House shows, like Sell This House and/or Move This House. Her name is Tanya something. Flip That House doesn't really have a host, just a narrator and bad sound effects.

I think that chick was actually on other shows with similar **** This House shows, like Sell This House and/or Move This House. Her name is Tanya something. Flip That House doesn't really have a host, just a narrator and bad sound effects.
You're thinking of Tanya Memme. The other girl has smaller tits but a nice ass. Her name is Ginger.

She's Canadian but I'd fuck her anyway. :icon_mrgr

jackjack

You're thinking of Tanya Memme. The other girl has smaller tits but a nice ass. Her name is Ginger.

She's Canadian but I'd fuck her anyway. :icon_mrgr
So that's what she's up to these days..
She used to be the chick that told DirecTV subscribers how to use their remote controls. Channel 101, as I remember, the all Tanya all day channel.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Man, I can't wait to show this to my father, who watches this fucking show religiously, and somehow got it into his fool head that HE can flip a house, cause these guys do it so "easily".