Floating/Canoeing = Disgusting

Is anyone else completely against floating/canoeing?
First of all, they have all these rules against glass and beer on the river, no topless chicks (family friendly :() etc.
Second of all the rivers, in my opinion, are so disgusting. People are just pissing at will in the river, and at times I assume shitting. The river is filled with piss, shit, beer, food particles etc.

Those who float, how is that different from just going down to the local sewage plant? I know the river supposedly cleans itself, and the water is moving, and fish and animals piss in it.. so what's the difference.

The idea just makes me sick, and I'm not That big of a germaphobe. But everywhere else in life you avoid piss, you don't go around in public bathrooms and roll around in the urine puddles on the floor or pee in the bathtub. You don't let friends piss on your legs at a bar, let in the river a friend can pee right besides you. Then you get out of the river and sit in the sun all day as the urine bakes in to your skin. Those that go under water completely, the urine is just getting in your ears-nose-eyes-mouth.

I can't go... It seems like it could be fun, but who wants to be swimming down stream as some gang of guys is behind you with their piss heading your way?

Possibly I'm insane. A few people are going canoeing this weekend, ewww.

People are just pissing at will in the river, and at times I assume shitting. The river is filled with piss, shit, beer, food particles etc.

Those who float, how is that different from just going down to the local sewage plant? I know the river supposedly cleans itself, and the water is moving, and fish and animals piss in it.. so what's the difference.
Well first off, tomorrow I will be rolling over in a kayak for fun in a river/lake and I'm not worried about it.

The only things you have to worry about are bacteria like giardia, amoebas and microbes coming into contact with soft tissue areas of your body like inside your ears, mouth and nasal passage. You can die from certain things, but you can't be a germaphobe all your life and have fun.

But the animal shit isn't going to really hurt you. There are a few species that have some diseases/viruses that can be passed on to humans but generally it's not going to hurt you.

And when it comes to humans pissing in water, don't worry about that either. Besides urine(granted there is no blood) from someone isn't going to hurt you. The parts per million of urine in public water isn't going to hurt you from being so diluted.

As far as I know, no one shits in public water in the USA. We aren't Hajis or slopes. Campers usually shit away from the water in the bushes, and they are supposed to bury it. There will be a little runoff from rains and fluctuating water levels but again it's so diluted that it's not going to hurt you.

blazin

Like an aquarium the rivers filter themselves.

Bacteria in the water consumes the waste and breaks it down. Also, the amount of shit/piss vs. actual water is so diluted it wouldnt matter as above posted stated!

It still freaks me out.
You don't think some dude who has had 15 beers will shit in a river?

I've also read about this one tiny fish, the Candiru I think, which senses urine... and swims up your Urethra and like lays eggs or some shit. It is however found in the Amazon, but still that would serve the pissers right.

ezstevey

hoarding tender sentiments
I went canoeing this past weekend...it was a good workout and I saw a few gators...twas a beautiful afternoon

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
the only thing worse than swimming in a river is swimming in a public kiddy pool. im buy no means a germaphobe but there is something that totaly skeeves me about swimming somewere i cant see my feet. there is so much shit tossed into rivers and streams you have know idea how sick you can get from an open wound in there, i used to wet wade wile i was fly fishing till i stepped on an eel jebus christ had nothing on this white boy running on water that day.

i used to wet wade wile i was fly fishing till i stepped on an eel jebus christ had nothing on this white boy running on water that day.
Woman :)

I almost stepped on a copperhead while fly fishing. I was in shallow water in this one small river so I had to drag my kayak. Well I was headed back home after being out for many hours and I was tired but I looked down into the water where I was stepping and I saw a giant coppehead under the water that was sliding across the rock to the other side of the river.

He was right where my foot was descending to be placed but after seeing him I shoved off with my rear leg and jumped over him. Luckily I saw him in time before I died.

Coppeheads are related to water moccasins so they are comfortable around water. They don't however float ontop of the water but they will swim through it. It freaked me the fuck out because that wasn't the first time I had almost stepped on a copperhead.

If I had stepped on that motherfucker I'm sure I would have died because I still had a couple miles of walking/kayaking before I got back to my truck and that venom would have circulated all the way through my system.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
oh, yea my big gangley ass trying to run on water. fly rod and line thrashing around, and yelling at my self to get the fuck away from the eel, ive never been so happy to have been by myself. one time at a farm pond i was standing on the bank and had a cotton mouth come right up out of the pond with a fish in its mouth and go right between my leggs into the bush behind me, snakes usually don't bother me, but when there dropping out of trees in to my boat, or coming out of rocks that im sitting on i get a tad startled

Joe Avezzano

It still freaks me out.
You don't think some dude who has had 15 beers will shit in a river?
You're exactly correct on this one. I understand that there are natural poops and pisses in the river water and it doesn't bother me. But what we're talking about super-concentrated unnatural human contamination levels. The people are jam packed in there shoulder to shoulder for miles up and down the river, just relieving themselves willy-nilly the whole time. Unwashed cunts, dick crust, cum/pube cakes, sexual discharges, it's all fair game to float to your tubing group, maybe 10 feet away. As far as I'm concerned, any parts per million of a drunken frat dude's crotch matter is too much for me.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Giardia isn't that bad to get. You'll lose a little weight and have a major case of cranky ass but you'll be ok.

Scariest thing I had dropping into a canoe, while frog gigging on the Guyandotte, was a raccoon.

I have had plenty of run-ins with copperheads and water moccasins. They really don't phase me now. Don't have to really worry about them either now up here in the north.

Canoeing and kayaking are fun. I would kill to be on the New River right now or even the Upper Potomac. Floating and fly fishing.

nolajersey

Miss Wackbag Cleavage 2006 & 2007
I don't swim in any water where you cannot see the bottom. I also do not swim in public pools. However I do like casual rafting down a river. I do not get out of the raft though.

I never do anything at the end of a river, but closer to the beginning and everything is cool. It varies river to river.

ChimneyFish

Believe it or not, it's just meeee
I walk around knowing how insane I am every day, but it always suprises me to know that the majority of people out there are a buch of raving lunatics.:rolleyes:

Devilock

Prime Directive: Exterminate!
I'm 90% against it...10% for it...but I could be swayed either way I suppose.