OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Florida governor retreats on worker drug tests

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stevethrower, Jun 20, 2011.

1. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Link

2. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

fucking ACLU... I'm all for testing the people that are supported by the taxpayer

3. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

This.

4. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

I guess the question really is how much testing will cost and how it's going to be paid. It's not like Florida has the money for it.

It is ultimately worth the cost though. I've worked for a few companies that do random drug tests, I think most of us have at some point...it's no big deal. And if anything, as a manager, I learned that it has actually kept employees from abusing drugs and making bad decisions. They don't want to lose their jobs, they know the company does random drug testing, and they know the company punishes/terminates employees for failing their drug tests. They've got a damn good reason for not turning to drugs and they stay clean. Nothin wrong with it, especially when you're occupying a position that is paid for by the taxpayer.

5. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Good to see the ACLU is fighting for important things like helping state employee unions. Meanwhile us peons can't even get a job at Wal Mart without taking a drug test.

6. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

The ACLU battled Walmart over that (and lost) in Michigan.

That being said, if it's constitutional for private employers to test, even in non-"safety" positions, I don't see why public employees should be any different.

For welfare, the governor should have just started with people on public assistance who had prior drug convictions/problems and looked to expand it later. There was already precedent set when another state tried to do this and it was overturned on appeal based on exactly that wording. Governor should have taken that into account.

7. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

[​IMG]
    Fuck the drug testing. Who is that woman and why does she look like she's about to eat the governor's head?

8. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

it's good to know that i can work a day then down a bottle of jack when i get home but i can't smoke a joint.

9. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

If you smoke that joint, you'll be supporting terrorists.

10. George Costanza

George Costanza All Hail the Dragonslayer.

It's been that way forever and will stay that way. It's funny that everyone knows it and there is no change. If you're smoking at home that's cool. But smoking before work, on the way to work or while at the job should not be allowed. My last boss always smoked at work and it pissed me off, even though I'm a smoker. It's the fact that if he cuts his hand off while high off of his medical pot, the rest of the workers suffer with new drug test rules at work. There needs to be a more exact test to detect how long ago someone smoked to avoid firing people who smoke responsibly at home.

11. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

You can smoke all the joints you want. You just need to be prepared to take the consequences, which in this case means you can't have your pick of jobs. Is it right? Probably not. But that's the way it is.

12. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

This. First, the story was in regards to people on welfare, who aren't working to support themselves. Second, employers have every right to stipulate conditions of employment contracts... and you have every right to not work for them. I use to be a huge pot head in high school and a year or so into college... but then I started applying for jobs driving heavy equipment and realized I had to stop. The decent job was more important than getting high. I'm for legalization of marijuana but still think employers have the right to test for it. You're an adult, pick your priorities and live with them.

Also, when driving heavy equipment I was also tested for alcohol, so if I had been drinking the night before there's a good chance I would have lost my job if I was tested the next day.

13. Larz

Larz ****Self-Banned****
    It's My Birthday!

I have to take random drug tests. My job can be hazardous at times so if it means keeping people from coming to work high and potentially injuring me I got no problem with it.

I'm pro-legalization... I just don't wanna work druggie idiots.

14. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

doctors are the worst drug pushers in the world, i say if any one is going to get drug tested test them for everything and if anything shows up fire them, and take there medical benefits