Florida Man Charged With Felony for Allegedly Stealing $1 Cup of Soda From McDonald's

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Florida Man Charged With Felony for Allegedly Stealing $1 Cup of Soda From McDonald's

(Collier County Sheriff Dept.) A Florida man was arrested and held on $6,500 bond after police in Collier County said he left a McDonald's without paying for a cup of soda valued at $1.
Mark Abaire, 52, had apparently asked staff at the Naples restaurant for a courtesy cup of water, but instead he allegedly filled the cup with soda from the soda fountain and sat outside of the restaurant, according to a story in the Naples Daily News which cited the police report of the Thursday incident.
Abaire allegedly refused to pay for the soda when he was asked to do so, refused to leave the restaurant and cursed at the manager, the Naples Daily News also reported.
Abaire, whose aliases include "Red" and "Clown," has a long list of prior arrests, according to records from the Collier County Sheriff's Department.
He was charged with petty theft, trespassing and disorderly intoxication after the Thursday arrest, and sent to Collier County jail. Petty theft is usually a misdemeanor, but because Abaire has previous convictions for theft, the charge was upgraded to a felony. The trespassing and disorderly intoxication charges are misdemeanors.
Abaire could face five years in prison if he is convicted of the felony.
Records indicate Abaire will return to court on May 14.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...ing-1-cup-002830215--abc-news-topstories.html

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
So, he wasn't charged with a felony for stealing a soda like the headline says. He was asked to leave the restaurant when it was clear he wasn't going to pay.
The felony came later.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
it was upgraded to felony because of his previous crimes

this doesn't mean he will do any jail time, just another slap on the wrist so he can go commit more heinous crimes to law abiding people

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I love Wackbag. All the news stories here and where do you lunatics converge? The thread about stealing from McDonalds and Mayr's 2 troll threads.

Well, and Treyvon, but that's a gimme.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Looked on the Florida DOC site... I guess he spent all his time in county jails. As he does not show up on their site.