FMQB Reports WYSP Dumps Talk Format

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=472856

September 12, 2007

The rumored format change at CBS Radio's WYSP/Philadelphia looks to be a reality in the making as the station cut essential staffers and air personalities today. Surviving the cut is afternoon drive personality Kidd Chris who was on air today discussing the staff cuts, relaying that most of the air staff including Barsky, Matt & Huggy, and Scotty & Alex were let go. Also let go were Kidd Chris producer Brad Maybe and show staffer Monkeyboy.

The move comes one day ahead of Opie & Anthony's arrival for on location broadcasts Thursday and Friday in advance of their Virus Tour hitting Camden, NJ this Saturday night (9/15).

A return to a rock music format is expected, though not confirmed at this time.

Stay tuned for more details as they emerge...
I heard O&A survived the cut....

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
WYSP Dumps Talk Shows, Return To Rock Expected

WYSP Dumps Talk Shows, Return To Rock Expected

September 12, 2007

The rumored format change at CBS Radio's WYSP/Philadelphia looks to be a reality in the making as the station cut essential staffers and air personalities today. Surviving the cut is afternoon drive personality Kidd Chris who was on air today discussing the staff cuts, relaying that most of the air staff including Barsky, Matt & Huggy, and Scotty & Alex were let go. Also let go were Kidd Chris producer Brad Maybe and show staffer Monkeyboy.

The move comes one day ahead of Opie & Anthony's arrival for on location broadcasts Thursday and Friday in advance of their Virus Tour hitting Camden, NJ this Saturday night (9/15).

94.1 WYSP website

The WYSP site still shows all the talk shows. They haven't yanked it down. They wasted no time back in the day when O&A got yanked for S4S3.

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
so i take it theres no kidd chris interview in philly with the boys this week now huh?

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Opie's probably mad 'cause he'll still have to do Kidd Chris's show.

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
No more Monkeyboy!??! How will I sleep at night?

deadfruitvirus

One character short :(
Mar 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.scottyandalex.com/newhome.htm

9/12/2007 - Today, we were let go by WYSP-FM. The station has decided to go in another direction, and unfortunately S&A were not in their plans. We want to thank all of the SNAholes who have supported us and tuned in every night. YOU were the reason we did this show every night. You killed us when we sucked and you laughed when we were kind of funny. YOU were just as important to the show as any of us! Keep checking out all of the websites as we try to land a job somewhere else...Click below to listen to the last half hour of the last S&A show on WYSP!

Thanks - Scotty, Alex, and Producer Mark

Lil'GlubGlub

You may call me Chef Glub
Sep 3, 2004
near philly
matt and huggy were tolerable when they were on after cousin ed before they fired him. I used to listen while closing the kitchen and mandatory metallica always seemed to give my boys the kick in the ass they needed.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
matt and huggy were tolerable when they were on after cousin ed before they fired him. I used to listen while closing the kitchen and mandatory metallica always seemed to give my boys the kick in the ass they needed.
Yeah, but they were playing music then. As a talk only show, not so good.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
From the Philly Inquirer web site:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20070912_WYSP_changing_format.html

The Rock Is Back is the new slogan for WYSP (94.1), which at 5 p.m. Thursday is expected to announce that it will dump its guy-oriented talk format in favor of a mix of rock and talk.Gone will be the Barsky Show, Scotty & Alex, and Matt & Huggy, plus late-night fare including Loveline and John & Jeff. Paul Barsky himself is expected to remain under contract at the station, as will Vinnie the Crumb, who does work on the CBS station's Eagles broadcasts. Barsky sidekick Kim Douglas was let go.
Opie & Anthony, the New York-based syndicated morning talk show, will remain, as will Kidd Chris, on afternoons. (Chris' producer, Brad Maybe, and sidekick Monkeyboy, were let go.)
Opie & Anthony are in Philadelphia for live shows Thursday and Friday, leading up to their concert appearance Saturday at the Tweeter Center.
WYSP, once a dominant force in Philadelphia, has seen a steep ratings decline since morning host Howard Stern left for satellite radio in December 2005. In the July Arbitron ratings, WYSP was ranked ninth among its bread-and-butter audience of men ages 18 to 34. It had toyed with a number of images recently, including Free FM and 94 YSP Talks.
The station seemed committed to a talk format as recently as June, when it let go longtime programmer Gil Edwards. Station sources said Edwards had lobbied for a return to rock but was rebuffed by management.

Drederick Tatum

Apr 12, 2007
Hallelujah.

The rest of YSP sucked moose cock. Thank God that horrid Barsky show is gone, and the unlistenable Matt and Huggy (though I'm sure they'll STILL stay at YSP as it seems they survive every format change) and Scotty and Alex was the most pathetic attempt at a radio show I ever heard.

Now if only Kidd Chris got the boot.

Freese

Ramone and Frunkis-Since '83
Oct 1, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Exactly. Now Philly can hear any one of the Green Day singles from the last album whenever they want.
Krock is awesome, very few commercials, they play b-sides. Just so you know, underground doesn't play on the radio.

May 25, 2003
Schwenksville, PA
I too will miss The Monkey Boy. I met him at the station during the O&A Cafe, he was pretty cool.

Hydrosludge

We can do it comrade
Apr 25, 2005
Damn that is great. I never want to hear Scotty and Alex ever again.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
So, what you're saying is, CBS finally figured out that FreeFM was a bad idea, a year and a half after everyone else?

the far side

Jul 6, 2006
Brick NJ
hopefully they will take on similar programming like 92.3 did, the station is has become my fave . I sometimes work in the Philly area so to be able to listen to KRock like programing would be great

G

ge_dude

Obviously 2 R&F shows would be more gooder. I think CBS will move to syndicate Kidd Chris in NYC for afternoon drive since he remains under contract through next August. Wheather you like the show or not, there's a reason he survived the cut in Philly, he brings the numbers.

jimmyjimjimz

Wackbag's version of The Miz
Aug 12, 2005
Rockaway Beach, NYC

Brad Maybe was a DJ for KRock for a little while. Hopefully they'll hire him back so that they'll actually have other on-air personalities besides O&A and Jimmy and the rest of the O&A staff.