Folklore(PS3)

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Snagged the demo off of the PSN earlier today. The game looks neat. The gameplay is pretty unique. It's almost like Megaman in that you capture powers to use throughout the game.

You are dropped into the Netherworld, which is a higher plane of existance. Your character runs around from the start point through open zones to reach an objective. Along the way folks will pop up and you have to kill them using your powers. You start off with the 2 or 3 basic folk powers you're given and for each new type you kill you take their powers as well.

One of the gimmicky things they added in was you'd beat a folk to death, then when their soul pops out of the body you grab it and wrestle it away and absorb it. You do so by hitting R1 and jerking the sixaxis controller depending on what type of folk it is.

Overall the gameplay is fun. Visually it's great. It comes with full surround sound and high detail textures. The camera control is kind of funky but since it's a stripped down demo there's no way to set anything diferent than default. I was told that the full version actually uses cut scenes instead of text with pictures for the interations but the demo cut them all out to save on size.

Overall it's worth checking out because it's fairly neat. I'll probably pick up a copy when it hits the US.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
I know this is a real rookie kind of question but I just picked up a PS3 and the guy at EB Games said I should download a few demos to try before I buy. Is it pretty straightforward to get to the PSN site and DL the games? I've connected the console to my wireless router for updates and that but I haven't really done any browsing with it. The game you mentioned sounds pretty good and I'd give it a try if I can figure the demo thing out. Apologies, if this is a dumbass question.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
very exciting, side note how much space will warhawk purchase take up on HD?

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
I know this is a real rookie kind of question but I just picked up a PS3 and the guy at EB Games said I should download a few demos to try before I buy. Is it pretty straightforward to get to the PSN site and DL the games? I've connected the console to my wireless router for updates and that but I haven't really done any browsing with it. The game you mentioned sounds pretty good and I'd give it a try if I can figure the demo thing out. Apologies, if this is a dumbass question.
yes its very easy, they dont have demos for every game unfortunately, but its very easy to get on there and navigate the store, 60 is a lot these days to get a game u are unsure if you will get your moneys worth with

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
You just need to create an account. Takes 5 minutes. It's actually more cumbersome to buy things from it than to create an account.

The interface stinks though. Luckily they added full browsing deatures to it so you can actually back out of a page instead of having to click everything from scratch.

Yes, always try the demos and videos before you buy; they are free. If I didnt downlowd the GRAW demo I would have watsed $65 on something that isnt my type of game: no matter how good it is.

Download the FOlklore demo. I dont think it will be for all people. I fucken loved it and cant wait for the full game.

Make sure to visit the PS3 Handle thread stickied and look for our handles and add us. Or just post in that thread so we can add you.

Whatever you do, download SuperStardust HD. You cant go wrong with that one...

Enjoy your PS3! :icon_bigg

BabyHat3R

and THATS how you executive produce!
Dec 27, 2005
Eleanor, WV
I'll definitely pick this one up when it ships, very beautiful game.

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
With all these demos and the online capabilities of the PS3... do you have to pay a monthly fee to get into the online store and to play multiplayer games online? I know that certain full version games cost, but does that actual online access have a fee?

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
With all these demos and the online capabilities of the PS3... do you have to pay a monthly fee to get into the online store and to play multiplayer games online? I know that certain full version games cost, but does that actual online access have a fee?
no cost

So far the only cost is to buy games online and the occasional game add on fee.

HOME will be a free service, too.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
i hope the story will be good, cause the dialogue was very similar to enchanted arms, which is very bad. the combat was interesting though

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So far the only cost is to buy games online and the occasional game add on fee.

HOME will be a free service, too.
Additional downloadable content for Folklore should be free (new Folk and quests) if the Japanese PSN store is any indicator. So far they've released a new quest and a new Folk creature for the Japanese version, both for free.

I liked this demo, although I've only played through the Ellen story so far. The Ellen story was a lot longer than I expected, almost an hour. I'll check out the Keats demo story later today.

Chlorofirm

Aug 26, 2002
cleveland
Somehow I completely missed the demo release. Downloading now.

A 9.0?! For a PS3 game? And its a RPG? And it ships next Tuesday? Holy shit its almost too good to be true. This came out of nowhere. Hopefully I like the next demo in which case I'll be picking this up for sure.

Just watched the video review. So its more of a action/adevnture RPG.

It is definitely not for everyone.

The graphics are amazing. Colorful, detailed, and beautiful. The story is very interesting and I am only on chapter 4. You play as either Ellen or Keates. You have to play through as them both to complete the game. I havent started playing as Keates. From what I understand they are basically the same with a few different abilities. But the actual game is the same. With the same folks to capture.

There are a shit load of folks to capture and each one is very different in appearance and abilities.

I told myself I would them all. And it is proving really tedious. Each Folk can be leveled up. You level them up by reaching certain requirements with them. Release X amount of Ids (the "soul") for each folk, kill X amount of a specific folk, use X amount of items...

This is fine but some folks only appear once, so in order to defeat/release ids, you have to keep going back to the same spot on the map.

There is a decent amount of loading time. Its not horrible while playing the game, but becomes annoying when you are trying to level up the folks.

My main complaint about the game is the map system. the GPS system always points north and most of the time, it is easy to get lost. Go the wrong way and you have to wait for the game to load. Normally the goal is north, so this is only a problem when you are trying to go to each spot on the map to unlock folks.

The bosses battles are intense, normally taking 4 different folks to destroy.

There are some downloadable maps you an explore, but I havent tried that yet.

It is going to take a while for me to finish this, but I probably will, (though I will take a break when Ratchet and Clank comes out)

It really is a great game, but I would say rent it before you sink $65 into it. I enjoy it, but it is not for everyone.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I was looking at the DLC at the Japan PSN Store and noticed that while the downloadable Folk are free, the quest packs cost money (roughly half the price of a PSOne download).

If the quest packs are lengthy and turn out to be worth getting I'll probably end up getting Folklore, but not for quite a while since so many other good games are coming in the coming weeks.

I was looking at the DLC at the Japan PSN Store and noticed that while the downloadable Folk are free, the quest packs cost money (roughly half the price of a PSOne download).

If the quest packs are lengthy and turn out to be worth getting I'll probably end up getting Folklore, but not for quite a while since so many other good games are coming in the coming weeks.

I'll have to wait and see how that works.

And see how the whole thing works.