For All the Professor Ant Types Out There...

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
2,747
0
0
Las Vegas
#1
This is a question for those of you that may know a little about a lot of topics. A couple weeks ago I threw out a older 27" TV from a spare bedroom in my home. As I was carrying it down the steps parts of the plastic case of it started to break off. When I got it to the garage and set it down I noticed the plastic around the tube was so brittle I could break pieces off by barely touching it. I figured no big deal I am throwing the stupid thing out anyway.

Fast forward to today as I was getting ready for work. I went to grab the shower brush (you know the type with the long plastic handle that hangs in the shower) and it virtually disintegrated in my hands. This thing is pretty new and made of some hard ass plastic.


What the fuck is in my house that is causing random plastics to become extremely brittle to the touch? Do I have some toxic mold in my fancy desert home attacking me?
 

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
20,450
812
493
Your Mom's box.
#5
Well, my guess is that because you live in the most arid area I have ever been in, your stuff is dried out and becoming brittle.
 

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
3,626
0
0
MN
#6
Heat, UV radiation, the iron content in the soil around Las Vegas can also attack PVC. Chlorine and/or solvents can attack the plastic. It also depends on the plastic. Most of the internal parts of a tv will be thermosets and are very stable with heat. The shell can be pvc especially on an older tv and the uv and heat will kill it eventually.

The handle on your brush... you have superpowers like O&Aaddict stated above.
 

Special Eddie

I'M A VIOLENT EXTREMIST!
Feb 28, 2005
1,364
4
563
Rockland, New York
#8
I feel the most common cause of brittle behavior is polymer degradation, the reduction in the average molecular weight of the polymer brought about by some combination of elevated melt temperature, extended residence time, and in some cases inadequate moisture removal prior to processing.

In other words, I have no fucking idea.
 

Plunkies

Registered User
Jun 28, 2006
6,033
2,773
543
#11
A new species of bug evolved in your home that feeds off of plastic.
 

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
32,840
4,566
898
Land of misfit toys
#12
it is from the residual radiation from the old nuclear bomb tests in Nevada...
otherwise it is as ona said....sign up for the Xmen and start wearing gloves and don't let swarthy/creepy dark haired guys with faggy clothing into your house unless you want your head ziplocked open.
 

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
9,519
235
513
New York
#13

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
32,840
4,566
898
Land of misfit toys
#15
actually there is a heat /lack of humidity factor with plastics' brittleness
 

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
42,683
9,680
848
#17
Heat, UV radiation, the iron content in the soil around Las Vegas can also attack PVC. Chlorine and/or solvents can attack the plastic. It also depends on the plastic. Most of the internal parts of a tv will be thermosets and are very stable with heat. The shell can be pvc especially on an older tv and the uv and heat will kill it eventually.

The handle on your brush... you have superpowers like O&Aaddict stated above.
im going with this guy, thats what i wanted to say except for the super powers only opie has super powers
 

AngryPest

Registered User
Mar 3, 2005
583
5
433
#18
What does your wife/girlfriend do with it when she takes a shower?
 
Dec 25, 2005
10,005
172
513
NJ
#20
do you claen with bleach? That & the dryness out there would cause that over time.
 

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
2,747
0
0
Las Vegas
#21
I don't personally clean with anything because I am lazy, but I don't believe the cleaning lady uses bleach though.
 

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
14,802
0
0
#22
Maybe you just have a bunch of old or cheap crap in your house.
 

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
2,747
0
0
Las Vegas
#23
Maybe you just have a bunch of old or cheap crap in your house.

Dude the shower brush was like 2 weeks old, the tv was a few years old that has since been replaced my another flat screen. I don't care if they were both bought at the dollar store they shouldn't crumble to dust on their own.
 

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
46,805
6,920
763
F.U.B.A.R
#24
Do you have radon gas in your area? They sell detector kits at the big box stores.
 
Jun 2, 2005
15,516
4
0
Dallas
#25
Do you have radon gas in your area? They sell detector kits at the big box stores.
It would take a metric fuck ton of radon to produce enough radiation to cause the results he's talking about.

But I have to admit, radiation was the first thing that popped in my head that could produce those results.