For fuck's sake end the strike already!

Jul 26, 2005
Central PA
Jesus fucking Christ...how much longer is this shit going to last? Why can't they just come to an agreement? I want my TV shows back!

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I gave up any hope of a speedy resolution weeks ago. Just waiting for the officially announcement that the season has been shitcanned so we can all move on.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Im kind of enjoying it. Less TV has made for more time in the gym and other places.

Apr 12, 2003
cleveland
less tv has made for more tv on dvd time for me. eek.

and tf2 of course.

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
Jul 1, 2005
Corona, CA
At the beginning of the TV season I was watching 25 hours of TV per week. Now I'm watching about 25 hours of movies and TV on DVD :)

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
How can the studios get back to negotiating, they're too busy playing golf. This is from unitedhollywood.com

It turns out that next Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, the hardworking heads of all Viacom, CBS, and Paramount Entertainment Divisions will be enjoying "award-winning accommodations," "world-renowned" spa treatments," "AAA Five Diamond" gourmet dining, and round after exhilarating round of "championship quality" golf during an executive retreat at The Boulders Resort and Golden Door Spa.

Oh, and anybody wanna guess where Boulders is located?

No really, go ahead and guess. Because even if we weren't three months into a painful strike, pounding the pavement of our picket-lines, fighting for a fair deal, struggling to make our rent and feed our families...you definitely still can't write this kind of thing.

Carefree, Arizona.

That's right. CAREFREE. Maybe you've heard of it? It's a little town somewhere between Footloose and Fuckem.

Now, hopefully, as soon as Sumner, Les and the gang are finished luxuriating in a cucumber sea-grass body wash, using some of their Internet profits to pay for foie gras, or just telling writer jokes at the spa -- they'll find time in their busy schedules and be relaxed enough to come back to the negotiating table. All of those in the entertainment industry put out of work and hurt by the strike sure would appreciate it.

Of course, if you'd like to leave a personal message at the front desk so the staff can pass that along, beginning Sunday, January 13, they can be reached toll-free at:

The Boulders Resort
34631 N. Tom Darlington Dr.
Carefree, AZ 85377
(866) 397-6520

Enjoy your stay, folks.
Warner Brother's has also sent letters to a 1000 people who help keep the lot running, that they can be laid off at any moment, there's also rumors that Universal has done the same thing. And I've heard of around ten companies who have deals with Paramount who are all about to be fired. All of this for negotiating what accounts to less than 1% of money the studios would have to pay in residuals.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I have three takes on the writers strike. Considering the economic impact that the state of California must be taking, why the hell aren't the politicians getting more actively involved. I read one time that Schwarzeneggar was trying to mediate, but nothing came out of it.

There seems to be this double standard and hippocracy when it comes to both the WGA and SAG. Its okay for the actors to go to the Critic's choice awards, but not the Golden Globes. Plus its okay for David Letterman's writers to go back to work. I understand the whole separate deal, but your guild is striking, wouldn't you stick it out.

Finally no one, not the writers, the actors, or the stuidos, have said one thing about how this is affecting the viewers, i.e. the consumer.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I have three takes on the writers strike. Considering the economic impact that the state of California must be taking, why the hell aren't the politicians getting more actively involved. I read one time that Schwarzeneggar was trying to mediate, but nothing came out of it.

There seems to be this double standard and hippocracy when it comes to both the WGA and SAG. Its okay for the actors to go to the Critic's choice awards, but not the Golden Globes. Plus its okay for David Letterman's writers to go back to work. I understand the whole separate deal, but your guild is striking, wouldn't you stick it out.

Finally no one, not the writers, the actors, or the stuidos, have said one thing about how this is affecting the viewers, i.e. the consumer.
The studios have hired the services of political consultants Lehane & Fabiani for a hundred grand a month, on top of all their own PR people they employ. These guys have all worked for the Clintons and the govenor at different times, so the bullshit politicians are keeping out of it. The only ones with real backbones are the teamsters who fired Lehane & Fabiani because why should a mostly liberal political consultant be working to destroy a union? I've even heard some saying they are helping the strike go on past the California Primary to help Hilary, who knows, mostly conspiracy theory talk.

There is no double standard. The Critic's Choice award was on VH-1 which is basic cable, and happens to not be a WGA signatory. Yes it's technically owned by Viacom, but it's never been a WGA show, so it's kind of like the Ford autoworkers going on strike and then deciding to protest at GM plants just for the hell of it.

The Golden Globes is huge for NBC, they wouldn't do anything to help the WGA cause, NBC won't go back to the table with the WGA, why should the WGA let the award show go on to help out NBC and all the studios get huge exposure for all of their films? Fuck no.

The deal with Letterman and United Artist and more companies coming (I've heard of two small distributors working on a deal already today) is the new divide and conquer idea. Something the studios/networks/amptp were first trying to do by pitting tv writers vs. film writers.

NBC was forcing Conan and Letterman to come back, without writers. Letterman owns his show and the Ferguson one, they set up a deal with the WGA so that Letterman could have SAG guests on and so he could talk shit about the AMPTP like he did in 1988. Letterman is getting the better guests (what was it last night Tom Hanks vs 6th grade science experiments or something like that on Leno) and hopefully they'll show in Letterman's ratings.

Things like Letterman and UA and hopefully more to come prove that the WGA isn't asking for unreasonable demands. Hopefully the AMPTP members keep cracking and then the writers will end up with a better deal.

UA just got a movie with Paul Haggis this week, sure you might not like him, but he did win an academy award, if they keep grabbing other big projects other studios will feel it and hopefully this pressure will help end the strike.

And look at websites in support of the WGA like deadlinehollywood.com and unitedhollywood.com they are talking about how this is hurting the viewers, there are comparisons scattered throughout about the 1988 strike and the sports strikes and how hard it will be to win back all the viewers that have turned to the internet or shows on basic cable.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
The studios have hired the services of political consultants Lehane & Fabiani for a hundred grand a month, on top of all their own PR people they employ. These guys have all worked for the Clintons and the govenor at different times, so the bullshit politicians are keeping out of it. The only ones with real backbones are the teamsters who fired Lehane & Fabiani because why should a mostly liberal political consultant be working to destroy a union? I've even heard some saying they are helping the strike go on past the California Primary to help Hilary, who knows, mostly conspiracy theory talk.

There is no double standard. The Critic's Choice award was on VH-1 which is basic cable, and happens to not be a WGA signatory. Yes it's technically owned by Viacom, but it's never been a WGA show, so it's kind of like the Ford autoworkers going on strike and then deciding to protest at GM plants just for the hell of it.

The Golden Globes is huge for NBC, they wouldn't do anything to help the WGA cause, NBC won't go back to the table with the WGA, why should the WGA let the award show go on to help out NBC and all the studios get huge exposure for all of their films? Fuck no.

The deal with Letterman and United Artist and more companies coming (I've heard of two small distributors working on a deal already today) is the new divide and conquer idea. Something the studios/networks/amptp were first trying to do by pitting tv writers vs. film writers.

NBC was forcing Conan and Letterman to come back, without writers. Letterman owns his show and the Ferguson one, they set up a deal with the WGA so that Letterman could have SAG guests on and so he could talk shit about the AMPTP like he did in 1988. Letterman is getting the better guests (what was it last night Tom Hanks vs 6th grade science experiments or something like that on Leno) and hopefully they'll show in Letterman's ratings.

Things like Letterman and UA and hopefully more to come prove that the WGA isn't asking for unreasonable demands. Hopefully the AMPTP members keep cracking and then the writers will end up with a better deal.

UA just got a movie with Paul Haggis this week, sure you might not like him, but he did win an academy award, if they keep grabbing other big projects other studios will feel it and hopefully this pressure will help end the strike.

And look at websites in support of the WGA like deadlinehollywood.com and unitedhollywood.com they are talking about how this is hurting the viewers, there are comparisons scattered throughout about the 1988 strike and the sports strikes and how hard it will be to win back all the viewers that have turned to the internet or shows on basic cable.
Thanks for the info, it definitely cleared some things up.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Thanks for the info, it definitely cleared some things up.
No problem, the more people who know the answers and why the WGA is actually the good guy in this, the more it might eventually help out if people write some emails to the advertisers.

If anyone has any questions just ask I'll try and answer them. Both me and my girlfriend work in the entertainment business, we're stuck in the middle of this along with a lot of our friends and it's just depressing all around. And there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.