For Glenn

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
The hot water faucet in my shower crapped out this morning, I turned it on, ran fine for 5 seconds, then most of the pressure dissapeared, but I could still get the shower to work on it, now I can't get more than a dribble out of the hot water tap (cold water is still fine, and all other hot water taps are fine in the house). Question is, how much does it cost to have a plumber come in and change out the shitty faucet (if that's all it is), I'll pick up the faucet?

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
im not gleen but do you have a 1 handle faucet or 3?

if you just want to get the whole thing replaced by a plumber its a fairly big job so youll spend alot. a mediocre tube faucet is like 100$. the tool needs to do it are pretty minimal, not that hard to do yourself.

you could just have a clog in your hot water line from the heater. sediment or some shit clogging up in the faucet. it could be built up in the faucet or at the shutoff for that line.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
im not gleen but do you have a 1 handle faucet or 3?

if you just want to get the whole thing replaced by a plumber its a fairly big job so youll spend alot. a mediocre tube faucet is like 100$. the tool needs to do it are pretty minimal, not that hard to do yourself.

you could just have a clog in your hot water line from the heater. sediment or some shit clogging up in the faucet. it could be built up in the faucet or at the shutoff for that line.
I've got one knob for each hot and cold, and then the switch for the shower head. It could just be a clog, it was running fine when I first turned it on this morning, then all of a sudden it turned into a drizzle. If it's a clog, how the hell do you get it out.

fuckwit

Jul 27, 2006
jersey
I've got one knob for each hot and cold, and then the switch for the shower head. It could just be a clog, it was running fine when I first turned it on this morning, then all of a sudden it turned into a drizzle. If it's a clog, how the hell do you get it out.
yeh i hate 3 knob faucets. something is always broken inside when you take them apart, and it was only just holding on by a hair.
you need a special set of wrenches that sell for like 10$ to take the stem out. they look like hollow thin socket wrench attchments that are about 6 inches long. they come as a set on a stick. its pretty cheap. you put them around the stem then grab it with a wrench and twist it out. everything with a bathroom faucet has to be done delicately. dont force it when you put it back and dont over tighten and break something.
but theres alot of bullshit in there and theres almost always a problem. if you know a plumber you can trust call him.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
to replace a 3valve diverter it will cost approx....350-400 dollars.

Sounds to me like it has something caught in the valve.

I would turn off the water. pull the hot stem....look in there for crap! if you dont see anything turn the water on and hopefully it will flush whatever it is out.

other reasons could be the hot stem has issues. If the washer fell off etc.... just pull it, look in there and use common sense.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
While we're at it, tell me how to stop water from spraying out of my hot water knob :)

Every time I turn off my shower I burn my left hand. I've done it so much I think my left hand has built an immunity to heat. I honestly think if I were to stick my left hand in hot grease I wouldn't feel it.

fuckwit

Jul 27, 2006
jersey
While we're at it, tell me how to stop water from spraying out of my hot water knob :)

Every time I turn off my shower I burn my left hand. I've done it so much I think my left hand has built an immunity to heat. I honestly think if I were to stick my left hand in hot grease I wouldn't feel it.
you should turn the temperature down on your hot water heater, it doesnt need to be scalding hot. if water is shooting out the handle its probably a washer or something is loose.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
you should turn the temperature down on your hot water heater, it doesnt need to be scalding hot. if water is shooting out the handle its probably a washer or something is loose.
Sir, I don't take lukewarm showers.

A shower isn't a shower unless I'm walking out of it with red skin.

I like my shower to be scalding hot, thank you very much.

And that's what I thought the problem might be. I'll check it out sometime this week.

fuckwit

Jul 27, 2006
jersey
Sir, I don't take lukewarm showers.

A shower isn't a shower unless I'm walking out of it with red skin.

I like my shower to be scalding hot, thank you very much.

And that's what I thought the problem might be. I'll check it out sometime this week.
it just makes it harder when you set the mixture for the shower. you end up only turning the hot water knob a few micrometers while your spinning the cold water one like its a old timey pirate ship wheel.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
it just makes it harder when you set the mixture for the shower. you end up only turning the hot water knob a few micrometers while your spinning the cold water one like its a old timey pirate ship wheel.
Actually it's the other way around. I turn the hot all the way up, and only turn the cold knob a lil bit. :)

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Actually it's the other way around. I turn the hot all the way up, and only turn the cold knob a lil bit. :)
same here.

Shoot.. If you can getthe handle off..../be carefull and wiggle slightly side to side/ I have a puller, I'm guessing you don't.

buy lampwick (packing material)and put one strand around the stem where it's leaking..... make sure you wrap it in the same direction the handle turns off.

If its a name brand... gerber, central brass, moen... you can pick up a whole new stem n put it in. If you don't want to fuck with packing.... you might get lucky and just need to tighten the spot leaking on the stem.