Ford transponder key question.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Ok... I got a question for those who would know... We've got a 2004 Ford F-150 Heritage. It's the "old style" model (identical to '97-'03) they sold in 2004 alongside the current version of the F-150.

Anyway, we've only got one key for the thing. My wife "bought" it used (with only like 5K miles on it). Long story short, it belonged to a family member who couldn't handle the payments so my wife took the truck and the payments and traded her existing vehicle for it. The problem is, she only got one key with the F-150.

Soon after she got the truck, the keys got locked inside it. She went to the dealer with the VIN and they cut a "door only" key. She claims they told her they had to order a key at the cost of $150 if she wanted one that could actually start the truck.

Now, as far as I can tell it is in fact a transponder key. Apparently, you can buy blanks online (eBay and elsewhere) and then have them cut. According to what I have found, if you already have 2 keys, you can program the new key yourself. Otherwise, you have to get the dealer or a locksmith with the capability to do it.

It's a major hassle only having one key. I needed the truck tonight, and she has the keys for it in her purse at work even though she hasn't driven it for 4 days.

I am putting an end to this nonsense. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and am going to see what they say. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any info I can get.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
i hate to say it but i think your stuck. i went thew this recently with a ford festiva that needed a new ignition tumbler, it came with an "installation key" but the car would not start with out it, my BMW also has a similar type key, except mine is like 200$ but it also unlocks the doors trunk and opens the windows, they new key will have to be programed to start the truck

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
fuck all that just pay the dealer

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Let me clarify. The truck came with two keys... The previous owner (my wife's nephew) lost one of them.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
That's the same thing I found. And, like it says you have to already have two keys which I don't. But, I appreciate the effort.

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
I think your screwed...the vehicle comes with 2 keys...once one is lost you must buy the new one...i have the same issue with my ford and the keys cost $250 EACH if lost...

good luck...

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Yeah, its a simple process to program a third key if you already have two. Requiring two prevents someone from quickly making a valid key (say at a parking garage, etc.).

You're going to have to bite the bullet. I wouldn't wait either. If you lose the one key you have, it'll cost you even more.

In RON We Trust

We Trust In RON
Remember when 1 key opened the door, the trunk, the glove box, and started the car? You could make as many as you want for about $1 each.

My new Honda came with two keys with the alarm built into the key, and another Valet Key that won't open the glove box or the trunk. I should probably make an extra one now since I still have both, as I'm sure I would experience a similar problem if I lost one.

Thanks for the idea Sinn Fein :)

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Yeah, its a simple process to program a third key if you already have two. Requiring two prevents someone from quickly making a valid key (say at a parking garage, etc.).

You're going to have to bite the bullet. I wouldn't wait either. If you lose the one key you have, it'll cost you even more.
I hear ya. I am gonna look into it tomorrow. I used to have contacts at Ford dealers, of course now that I need something that is no longer the case.

Top Bottom