Foreclosure Firm for BoA/WF Throws Homeless themed Halloween Party

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA

Media Releases Photos of Bank of America, Wells Fargo Foreclosure Firm's Homeless Themed Halloween Bash

The New York Times revealed pictures from a party where the company's employees openly mocked those who had been evicted from their homes.
As is tradition at the law office of Steven J. Baum -- a top foreclosure firm in New York State -- employees donned costumes to work on the Friday before Halloween. This year, a revealing New York Times column surfaced on the web featuring photos from the firm's 2010 bash.

our editor recommends
Halloween Gone Wrong: The 10 Least Scary Movies of All TimeNew York City Power ListPHOTOS: Halloween Gone Wrong: 10 Least Scary Films of All Time

Employees were dressed as homeless people, openly mocking those who had been victims of foreclosure. In photos obtained from a former employee, one woman is seen wearing a sign that reads, "3rd party squatter. I lost my home and I was never served." According to the unnamed source, the sign is meant to reflect "the typical excuse" of homeowners attempting to avoid a foreclosure proceeding.

The source adds that the images are an accurate representation of the firm's mindset. "There is this really cavalier attitude," she said. "It doesn't matter that people are going to lose their homes." The former employee said that she wanted to make the images public in order to show the firm's "appalling lack of compassion towards homeowners."

PHOTOS: New York City Power List

Steven J. Baum represents giant mortgage lenders including Bank of America, Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo. "It has been suggested that some employees dress in… attire that mocks or attempts to belittle the plight of those who have lost their homes," a statement read in response to the publication. "Nothing could be further from the truth."

The spokesperson went on to describe the column as "another attempt by The New York Times to attack our firm and our work."

View more images at the New York Times' website.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/baum-foreclosure-firm-homeless-halloween-255004

How did these 1%ers squeeze this party time into their busy schedule with those 18-hour work days???

bedhumper

Oct 9, 2011
This year they dressed as politicians who forced the banks to give loans to poor blacks and hispanics with bad credit which is ultimately what brought the economy down.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
This year they dressed as politicians who forced the banks to give loans to poor blacks and hispanics with bad credit which is ultimately what brought the economy down.
No, that would be the Fannie/Freddie Halloween party.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I never could understand why people are mad at banks when a foreclosure happens. They're not the ones that couldn't make the payments.

Fucking Democrats!

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
People should be angry with themselves for buying homes they couldn't afford and with adjustable rate mortgages, they couldn't afford.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Well, not exactly...

Flashback to 2002: Republicans control the House, Senate, and the Oval Office. :action-sm

George W. Bush said:
"More and more people own their homes in America today. Yet we have a problem here in America because fewer than half the Hispanics and African Americans own their own homes. That’s a home ownership gap; a gap that we got to work together to close. And by the end of this decade we’ll increase the number of minority homeowners by 5.5 million families."
[video=youtube;MqR15H0gNBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqR15H0gNBU&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;QYvtvcBKgIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYvtvcBKgIQ&feature=related[/video]

Bush's HUD secretary in a speech that year:

National Press Club Luncheon

"America's Homeownership Challenge:
Empowering Families, Strengthening Communities"
Remarks as prepared for delivery by
Secretary Mel Martinez

Washington, DC
Wednesday, June 26, 2002

Thank you, Tammy, for your very kind introduction. It is wonderful to be welcomed here by a representative from my hometown newspaper. I guess I should say "the award-winning representative from my hometown newspaper," now that you have been honored by the Society of Professional Journalists for your work here in Washington.

Congratulations, Tammy.

Thank you to the National Press Club for inviting me to address this great and historic institution.

And welcome to all of you representing the housing industry - from builders, to bankers, to buyers. I see many familiar faces, and many friends who work each day to create affordable housing opportunities for all Americans. Whether you are in the private sector, with a not-for-profit, a volunteer, or part of a faith-based effort, each of you plays a critical role in the success of the U.S. housing system. Thank you all.

I also want to acknowledge Vernetta Young. At the beginning of June, Vernetta became a new homeowner here in Washington through the help of Habitat for Humanity. We kicked off National Homeownership Month by dedicating Vernetta's house, and I will never forget the smile on her face when I handed her the key to the front door.

A success story like the one Vernetta has to tell is the reason we get up and come to work each day at HUD.

We have just completed the most exciting week in my time at HUD, and maybe the most exciting week in the Department's history. President Bush used the week to spotlight a top Administration priority, and a daily focus of our work at HUD: helping families realize the American Dream of homeownership.

HUD recently released a report outlining the barriers that prevent minorities from becoming homeowners. The report found that while nearly three quarters of non-Hispanic white Americans are homeowners, less than half of African Americans and Hispanic Americans own their own homes.

Some of the barriers causing this "homeownership gap" are economic. Others are rooted in discrimination or a lack of information about the homebuying process. These barriers are locking too many minority Americans - and particularly African-Americans and Hispanics - out of homeownership.

Last week, I accompanied President Bush to Atlanta, where he announced "America's Homeownership Challenge." This is a bold and unprecedented public/private commitment to knock down these barriers to homeownership and help more families own a home of their own.

The President is challenging government, the private sector, and not-for-profits to come together as partners and help achieve the goal of 5.5 million new minority homeowners by the year 2010.

The President's response to meeting this challenge has two parts: a new commitment by the private sector to boost homeownership, and a series of concrete steps the federal government will take to make homeownership an affordable option for more families.

It is impossible to overstate the importance of the role of the private sector in increasing the number of homeowners. The federal government can promote and encourage change, but it falls to the private sector to carry it out.

Therefore, President Bush is calling on the real estate, mortgage finance, and homebuilding industries to dramatically increase their efforts to reduce the barriers to homeownership. He has asked Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to increase their commitment to financing mortgages for minorities by more than $440 billion - and they have agreed. He is asking homebuilders to focus on bringing more homeownership opportunities into urban centers. He is actively seeking the participation of faith-based groups to work with us to increase minority homeownership.

Through these partnerships, we can dramatically increase our effectiveness and our ability to tailor local solutions to local problems. America's communities have a variety of needs, and no two communities are alike. To tackle the homeownership gap by relying only on government programs or a "one-size-fits-all" approach will not generate the results we hope to inspire.

Homebuilders, lenders, local officials, faith-based organizations, and community leaders will work with us - and with one another - to build the ranks of homeowners. This national focus will help create new affordable housing where supply is inadequate. It will increase innovation in mortgage products and ensure better outreach into minority communities. And it will give more attention to financial education.

The other component of the Homeownership Challenge is the response of the federal government. The specific homeownership proposals the President outlined last week are built on the idea that government serves best when government helps individuals help themselves.

The single greatest barrier to first-time homebuyers is a high down payment. In response, we are urging Congress to fully fund the American Dream Downpayment Fund. The Fund will help 200,000 low-income families lift themselves into homeownership over the next four years.

The lack of information about homeownership opportunities is another barrier that prevents many potential buyers from owning a home. This is especially true for immigrant families, who are often unfamiliar with America's homebuying process and the opportunity for long-term financing.

Education is key; studies show that consumers who understand the homebuying process are more likely to buy a home they are happy with and less likely to be taken in by predatory lenders. So we are significantly boosting the budget for housing education.

After the President's announcement, I visited the City of Tucson and toured a new development where 65 families who thought they might never own a home of their own, will soon become homeowners. Chicanos por la Causa is a HUD-certified housing counseling center in Tucson. The work of Chicanos por la Causa to educate families about homeownership and credit is playing an important role in helping make the American Dream a reality.

Many families find it extremely difficult to cross the bridge from subsidized housing into homeownership.

Last year, we began allowing Section 8 voucher holders to use their vouchers toward home mortgage payments. I joined folks in Chicago a week ago to help kickoff the Section 8 homeownership program in their city. I met Crystal Mack, a single mother raising five daughters. Four years ago, Crystal was unemployed and receiving public assistance. Thanks in part to this innovative program, she will soon be closing on her first house.

President Bush wants to expand the program's reach by letting families put up to a year's worth of their rental vouchers toward a home down payment.

It is hard to create more homeownership in a community where affordable homes are simply not available for sale. To encourage the development of 200,000 affordable homes in neighborhoods where housing is scarce, the President has proposed a Single-Family Affordable Housing Tax Credit. Over five years, this amounts to $2.4 billion in tax credits.

The final barrier is the confusing and costly homebuying process itself. We are addressing this as well, and I will have more to say about this later.

Link/More:
http://archives.hud.gov/remarks/martinez/speeches/pressclublunch.cfm
How about you take ownership of the fact that it was bipartisan clusterfuck?

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
How about you take ownership of the fact that it was bipartisan clusterfuck?
Right after you and the other stooges are willing to entertain the fact that ANYTHING has been done wrong by the Dems, ever.

My comment was in reference to Democrats constantly employing the class-warfare strategy, but I will respond to the latest "but Bush" argument.

Bush spent money like a drunken sailor, it's no secret. I blame him for the shit he did to the economy and I blame Obama for the shit he's done to the economy

Bush wasn't running for reelection in 2008.

Bush isn't President now, Obama has been for nearly 3 years.

Bush isn't running in 2012.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Right after you and the other stooges are willing to entertain the fact that ANYTHING has been done wrong by the Dems, ever.
You must have me confused with somebody else. I think I trash Democrats at least as much as you trash Republicans around here.

My comment was in reference to Democrats constantly employing the class-warfare strategy, but I will respond to the latest "but Bush" argument.
And my comment was in reference to this:

No, that would be the Fannie/Freddie Halloween party.
So I provided info that showed that Bush actually REQUESTED nearly half a trillion dollars MORE of additional funding through Fannie and Freddie for brown people.

Bush spent money like a drunken sailor, it's no secret. I blame him for the shit he did to the economy and I blame Obama for the shit he's done to the economy

I'm not the one who originally referenced the events in 2008 and before, when Bush was actually president.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.

So if Cain or Romney get elected in 2012, when can I place blame on them for how bad the economy is? 1 year, 18 months, 2 years?

As far as a homeless party, hilarious! I have about as much feeling for morons that bought homes they couldn't afford as I do for the sex offenders on the state registry list.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Don beat me to it.

I was going to say that whoever is elected in place of Obama will be blamed at 12:01 PM on 1/20/13.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That's fucked up (and hilarious) but the media's reason for releasing this as if it was news is agonizingly transparent.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA

Saw this on facebook. Yes, ewwwwwwwww. I don't have a facebook page, but my wife does.
You could just as easily do that with Conservatives. Less Government except for controlling who you marry and what medical procedures you might elect to have.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
You could just as easily do that with Conservatives. Less Government except for controlling who you marry and what medical procedures you might elect to have.
Most modern conservatives aren't necessarily social conservatives. (Ignore Don)