Former Bengals Running Back Shot Dead by California Cops

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
July 11, 2011 11:08 AM

(CBS/AP) Former Cincinnati Bengals running back David "Deacon" Turner is dead after a confrontation with deputies outside a Bakersfield convenience store.

Kern County sheriff's officials say deputies were called to the store a little before 1 a.m. Sunday after getting a report that a group of juveniles were trying to get adults to buy liquor and cigarettes for them.

When deputies arrived, they detained Turner as he left the store carrying alcoholic beverages, accompanied by his 19-year-old son and a 16-year-old.

Sheriff's spokesman Craig Rennie says Turner was cooperative at first, but then hit one of the deputies in the back of the head with a bag containing canned beer that he was carrying.

Another deputy then fired twice at Turner. The 56-year-old Turner died a short while later at a local hospital.

Detectives from the Kern County Sheriff's Office are investigating the shooting.

According to Bakersfield.com, Turner was a star running back at San Diego State University before playing three seasons with the Bengals from 1978 to '80. In 44 career games he rushed for 549 yards on 142 carries and scored two touchdowns, one rushing and one receiving.

The website reports that Deputy Wesley Kraft, who fatally shot Turner, has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-20078413-10391697.html
Dumbass shouldn't have swung his tallboys at a cops head, but deadly force was necessary? Something doesn't seem right...

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
phew, i was worried there'd never be another icky shuffle, for a second

A former black athlete is killed by cops, sounds like business as usual for police.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Really? Shot for swinging a few beer cans at a cop?
I'm betting there's more to the story. I'll wait before
I pass judgment.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
Really? Shot for swinging a few beer cans at a cop?
I'm betting there's more to the story. I'll wait before
I pass judgment.
what fun is it if you don't make a snap judgment and decide immediately which side of the story you fall on.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
It really depends if he hit the guy or not. If a guy who was once a professional athlete hits someone in the back of the head with a tall boy... He would probably knock the dude out at least, then he would obviously turn on the other guy, at which point your partners down in a pile and the attacker's on you.

I just want to know what happened to make the dude want to attack the officer, especially if he had his two kids with him.

Not enough details. Until we know why he swung at the officer and why they were questioning him in the first place.

I just came dangerously close to being on the cops' side. I feel dirty.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I just want to know what happened to make the dude want to attack the officer, especially if he had his two kids with him.

Not enough details. Until we know why he swung at the officer and why they were questioning him in the first place.
His kids were older teenagers and the cops were called there because of reports of teens trying to get people to buy them booze. They probably accused him of pimping the beer for his kids without realizing they were his and he got pissed he was getting hassled for doing nothing wrong. He probably had already had a few being that it was 1am but thought he was doing the right thing having his kids drive him to get more beer rather than risk a DUI.

Bakersfield really is the armpit of Southern California so I'm sure the place was in a shit area as well.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Looks like this tiger, got the claws.
YEAAAAAAAAH!

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Yeah, I used to work in Bakersfield when I was out there in the Navy. Remember all those annoying Furniture Liquidation signs on the side of the road about 10 years ago and the homeless dudes holding signs on the sidewalks? Yeah, that was all me. :haha7:

There's just too many ifs and maybes right now.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Yeah I want to hear more about the story also before making a decision. Like VT pointed out, this is a former NFL player... even in his 50s he could be a pretty large guy. If he swung the beer and kept coming at them, it may justify deadly force.

There's one fairly certain way to make sure you don't get killed by cops... comply with them. Even if they're in the wrong you're better off taking your chances in court or via formal complaint.

Edit: I just want to jump on the Bakersfield-hate bandwagon. I have family in Shafter that I visit occasionally and fucking Bakersfield is a disgusting place.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
The cops in California learned that they can hold people down and shoot them in the back and only get a wrist slap for it so of course they are going to start shooting people for any reason. You better not jaywalk in California because you could end up with a bullet in the back of the head and the cop will get a promotion. I believe a civilian with a legal carry permit in California would get life if he ever used deadly force to defend himself against someone with a bag of beer. The cops should have to follow the same laws as the people and they should get the same punishment when they break them.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
The cops in California learned that they can hold people down and shoot them in the back and only get a wrist slap for it so of course they are going to start shooting people for any reason. You better not jaywalk in California because you could end up with a bullet in the back of the head and the cop will get a promotion. I believe a civilian with a legal carry permit in California would get life if he ever used deadly force to defend himself against someone with a bag of beer. The cops should have to follow the same laws as the people and they should get the same punishment when they break them.
Those two stories are 1,500 miles apart and complete opposite communities. You really do know nothing.

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
Yeah I want to hear more about the story also before making a decision. Like VT pointed out, this is a former NFL player... even in his 50s he could be a pretty large guy. If he swung the beer and kept coming at them, it may justify deadly force.

There's one fairly certain way to make sure you don't get killed by cops... comply with them. Even if they're in the wrong you're better off taking your chances in court or via formal complaint.

Edit: I just want to jump on the Bakersfield-hate bandwagon. I have family in Shafter that I visit occasionally and fucking Bakersfield is a disgusting place.
Former running back, odds are his knees are shot.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I was wondering how long it would take for Kirk to try to turn this into another police state thread, maaaaan.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Why don't you find out what happened first before jumping you you dumb cunt conclusions?

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Why don't you find out what happened first before jumping you you dumb cunt conclusions?
Find find out out what happened from who? The police? They will say whatever it takes to make it look like the cop was in the right. After the Oscar Grant shooting they tried to lie because they thought they had confiscated all the phones and destroyed all evidence but they missed one that was in the subway car.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Find find out out what happened from who? The police? They will say whatever it takes to make it look like the cop was in the right. After the Oscar Grant shooting they tried to lie because they thought they had confiscated all the phones and destroyed all evidence but they missed one that was in the subway car.
You really are an ignorant asshole.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
It really depends if he hit the guy or not. If a guy who was once a professional athlete hits someone in the back of the head with a tall boy... He would probably knock the dude out at least, then he would obviously turn on the other guy, at which point your partners down in a pile and the attacker's on you.

I just came dangerously close to being on the cops' side. I feel dirty.
:haha7:

You really are an ignorant asshole.
This might just be the most accurate statement ever made on Wackbag.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
And who released the tape from the subway car? You do realize that if the police really were being allowed to shoot first and ask questions later and cover things up that tape never would have seen the light of day, right?