Former Cop, Once Hailed As Hero Now Faces **** Charges

Dec 8, 2004
Maine

PHILADELPHIA — A former Philadelphia police officer once hailed as a hero and given a seat next to the first lady at a speech by President Obama has been arrested and charged with **** and other crimes.

Authorities allege that former officer Richard DeCoatsworth left a party with two females early Thursday and took them to another location, where they allege that he produced a handgun and "forced the two females to engage in the use of narcotics and sexual acts."

A police spokeswoman said the two called police after he left, and 27-year-old DeCoatsworth was later arrested.

According to court records, DeCoatsworth was arraigned Saturday night on charges including ****, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, trafficking of persons, false imprisonment and aggravated assault. His bail was set at $60 million.

DeCoatsworth was hailed as a hero after he was shot in the face during a traffic stop in September 2007 but still
managed to chase after his attacker, who was later sentenced to 36 to 72 years in prison.

DeCoatsworth was invited by Vice President Joe Biden to attend the president's televised February 2009 address to Congress and sat with first lady Michelle Obama. He said he didn't know why he had been singled out, but being in the presence of the nation's leaders was an honor "that I will keep with me for the rest of my life."

WCAU-TV, which first reported his arrest, said DeCoatsworth retired from the department on disability in December 2011.

Police said no other information on the alleged attack would be released Saturday to protect the victims and the integrity of the ongoing investigation. Authorities declined to say give even general locations for the party and alleged crime scene and also wouldn't say when DeCoatsworth was arrested.

A listed number for DeCoatsworth has been disconnected and it was unclear whether he had an attorney.

Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey told a Philadelphia Daily News columnist in February of last year that he believed he had made a mistake in granting the former officer's request to go back to work too soon after he was shot.

"God bless him for still wanting to get out there and do police work, but did I act in his best interest? In hindsight, I would say probably not," Ramsey told columnist Sty Bykofsky.
Link

$60 million in bail... that has to be a misprint.

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
Why would you share your drugs with the people you are about to ****?

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
A former Philadelphia police officer once hailed as a hero and given a seat next to the first lady at a speech by President Obama has been arrested and charged with **** and other crimes.

Authorities allege that former officer Richard DeCoatsworth left a party with two females early Thursday and took them to another location, where they allege that he produced a handgun and "forced the two females to engage in the use of narcotics and sexual acts."
I don't get it. Where's the no-longer-a-hero part?

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Ex-police officer DeCoatsworth withdraws guilty plea

Richard DeCoatsworth, 28, once hailed as a hero cop, was given 20 days to reconsider his guilty plea to multiple counts last month.

Putting himself at risk of a much longer prison sentence, former Philadelphia police officer Richard DeCoatsworth on Tuesday withdrew his guilty plea to charges relating to drugs, assault, and promoting prostitution.

Asked by Common Pleas Court Judge Charles Ehrlich why he changed his mind, DeCoatsworth said: "I would like an opportunity to defend myself, your honor."

Pressed about why he changed his mind, DeCoatsworth said: "If I were a guilty man, the offer presented to me would be a good one. . . . For me it's more important for my innocence to come out."

DeCoatsworth, 28, was arrested May 18, after an armed standoff with police. He was charged with raping two prostitutes.

In February, he pleaded guilty to simple assault, promoting prostitution, and drug possession with intent to distribute.
Assistant District Attorney Ashley Lynam said that had DeCoatsworth not changed his plea, he would have faced a maximum of 111/2 to 23 years in prison.

When his trial begins Nov. 3, he will face the more serious charges of kidnapping and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, among others, Ehrlich said.

Lynam said that if he is convicted, DeCoatsworth faces "decades" in prison.

After the hearing, defense attorney A. Charles Peruto Jr. said: "If you're truly innocent and you know you didn't do these things, to a strong-willed person, no amount of jail time is going to scare them from asserting their innocence."

In 2007, DeCoatsworth was hailed as a hero after he was shot in the face during a traffic stop but managed to chase down his attacker. He sat next to Michelle Obama during the 2009 State of the Union address.
Bump.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Ha! Good.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
And a hero comes along.....