Former O&A producer Rick Del Gado - Super Douche

Tryaluckystrike

Feb 19, 2007
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...no_apologies_by_radio_producer_rick_del_.html

Article talks about how he's been involved in two of the most infamous incidents in NYC radio: Sex for Sam III and the Tsunami Song :icon_roll

Of course, heaven forbid he reflect on the good ol' days. Instead, he went the typical route of trashing the boys. Of the two most telling statements:

1. O&A don't sell big ads; only Stern and Imus get the big money

2. Only half the crew had his back when they got fired. Doesn't initially mention who...but then goes on to say that "Opie is a dick"

I'd say this warrants a pest attack, but the guy is sitting at home sans job because nobody has his back. Boo-fucking-hoo!

Mods: Didn't see another thread on this. Feel free to delete or merge if it already exists

No apologies by radio producer Rick Del Gado, who was Hot, then not

By DAVID HINCKLEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Wednesday, February 13th 2008, 4:00 AM
Rick Del Gado played key roles in two of the messiest incidents in recent city radio history. He was the producer when Opie and Anthony held their infamous "Sex in St. Patrick's" contest on WNEW (102.7 FM) in 2002 and again when the morning team at WQHT (97.1 FM) aired the "Tsunami Song" in 2005.
Both times, he got fired.
And both times, he tells Chaunce Hayden in Steppin' Out magazine, he was just following orders.
"I don't think I crossed the line either time," he tells Hayden. "It was my job."
At the moment, Del Gado doesn't have a radio job. After Hot-97, he worked in San Francisco for a while, but now he's "between gigs," as they say - and he doesn't sound particularly happy about it.
He notes to Hayden that Opie and Anthony had been doing the St. Patrick's stunt for three years. "The listeners got involved, everybody had fun and management signed off," he says. "It was no secret to anybody. It was just entertainment. It was to get people to listen. That's what we're in radio for, to get people to listen."
With the "Tsunami Song," he says the same thing: "I did what they [management] told me to do," which was get attention. He has said many times that the song, which mocks tsunami victims, was intended as a parody of the gooey, vacant "charity" songs of celebrity do-gooders.
"My job is to step over the line," he says. "The dump button and management is there to make sure we don't go too far."
But the song got through at a time when Hot-97 wanted the right kind of attention. "In this corporate B.S. world, somebody has to take the fall if you get bad publicity," Del Gado says.
In fact, he adds, "All the radio people I talk to ... have patted me on the back. They all work in the industry and they admire I did something they couldn't do themselves for fear of losing their jobs."
He readily admits he's not happy that "everybody gets paid, except for me." He also suggests his old bosses Opie and Anthony "aren't bringing in any ad dollars these days. The only guys in radio who bring in big ad dollars are Howard Stern and Imus."
He further differentiates between Opie and Anthony. "I thought they would have my back. I learned early on that one had my back and the other didn't."
That one, he says, is Opie. "Opie is a d- and no one likes him," says Del Gado. "But nobody will tell that to his face."
Del Gado also says "shock radio" is "dead in corporate America. Because Howard Stern made so much money for his company, other companies thought they could take the same format and turn it into gold as well. But all they did was turn shock radio into dog s-."
He seems frustrated that people don't get parodies.
"It's comedy," he says. "It's stupid comedy. It's so stupid it's got to be funny. If anyone takes it seriously, they're an idiot."
And his own career?
"I don't think it needs fixing. I think radio needs fixing.
"I apologize for nothing and I never will."
AROUND THE DIAL: Sirius will cover the opening of the NASCAR season this Sunday by calling the Daytona 500 on Ch. 128. It will also have in-car audio on other channels from Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart and one yet-to-be-named driver.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Didn't Opie used to date Rick's sister?

And hasn't that relationship since ended?

I can't imagine why he might feel any bitterness towards G.H.

May 24, 2004
Queens, NY
Chaunce Hayden has been known to misquotes in his interviews. Especially when they involve O&A.

shwoogie

You mad cuz I'm stylin' on you
Jun 2, 2004
Dracut, MA
"He was the producer when Opie and Anthony held their infamous "Sex in St. Patrick's" contest on WNEW"

*facepalm*

Baby Evil

Trading warriors for illegals works, right?
Jul 18, 2005
Atlanta, GA
"This is legal isn't it"

Lingggbbb Loobnnb

annoyinglee

The Overlord Of Evil
Dec 18, 2005
Snake Mountain
I hate when message board members flip out over anyone bashes O&A. O&A can defend themselves over a former producer or an enemy of the show bashes them.

Please, Rick Del Gado was a shitdick back on NEW thought this day he's still a shitdick period!!

mightymalachi

Be afraid...be very afraid.
Feb 9, 2006
Definitely not Florida
I'm sure he was taken out of context. Maybe he said "Opie is a dick nixon-type. The kind of guy who will do whatever it takes to get stuff done."

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
you say this:
I hate when message board members flip out over anyone bashes O&A. O&A can defend themselves over a former producer or an enemy of the show bashes them.
then this:
Please, Rick Del Gado was a shitdick back on NEW thought this day he's still a shitdick period!!
very curious indeed.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
Didn't Opie fuck his sister?

R.BuddDwyer

Feb 2, 2006
Philly
Didn't Rick/Sandy's dad give Opie hubcaps for Christmas?

True PR's

MilkmanDan

Uncontrollable Urge
Jan 13, 2003
Philly
I dunno, I got into the show while Rick was there. I remember one fight when Opie was talking about banging his sister, was pretty good at the time. And of course the rick "Choco-Cock" skit was pretty funny (and hot....... :icon_surp)

He seemed to be more involved in the show then any of the current crew.

Kid WOW

Jun 24, 2003
Okay... there's some personal bitterness on both sides, but Rick, Awesome Garrett, Ben, and the rest of the crew took bullets for the boys. The boys got paid to sit for two years. IIRC, they (referring to the show crew, not the boys themselves) were cut loose from CBS right before Christmas 2002 (except for Martini Steve). They had to start over and put their careers back in order. Rick did Preston and Steve's show, then moved on to Ms. Jones' shitty show. Then after the Tsunami song, he ended up in Frisco. Ben's another example: he had to keep himself afloat, so he went to work for the 'Lil Doggie Company for a year and a half. I don't even know what happened to Garrett, he might not be in radio anymore. But the boys themselves had to restart their careers as well. It's not easy going from millions of listeners to a few thousand in the very beginning of the XM days (as Opie himself admitted). And who knows? Maybe Opie is a dick. How many meltdowns has he had on the air? A ton. But he's a successful dick. Rick can't take that away, nor can he take away the leftover stink Op left in Sandy's cooch. Good luck bro.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Didn't Opie used to date Rick's sister?

And hasn't that relationship since ended?

I can't imagine why he might feel any bitterness towards G.H.
No Shit!...I think he said he was almost engaged to her too..But I think she was the cause of the breakup. Weren't there ads of her saying "Syndication when Opie gets me an Engagement ring?"