Frakkin' Dead PS3

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Okay;
My 2008 40 gig PS3 croaked on me today (red light of death). I looked online for a fix (nothing cheap and/or long-lasting) so I said "fuck it" and bought another one (PS3 Slim 120 gig). So I have the new one all set-up and I would like to transfer my old game saves and data from the previous system; any way to do that? I have an external device to connect it. I can't seem to find much helpful info online except people saying that Sony locks the drive format, so I can't just plug the old drive into the new PS3, nor can I plug it into my mac (or PC for that matter). Anyone go thru this already; have some useful tips?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Okay;
My 2008 40 gig PS3 croaked on me today (red light of death). I looked online for a fix (nothing cheap and/or long-lasting) so I said "fuck it" and bought another one (PS3 Slim 120 gig). So I have the new one all set-up and I would like to transfer my old game saves and data from the previous system; any way to do that? I have an external device to connect it. I can't seem to find much helpful info online except people saying that Sony locks the drive format, so I can't just plug the old drive into the new PS3, nor can I plug it into my mac (or PC for that matter). Anyone go thru this already; have some useful tips?

When it happened to me, Sony basically told me I was SOL

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Sorry to say but you are pretty much fucked on this one. And who are you kidding, we all know that you just stole another one. ;)

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
I used a place in long island. I had the 3 blinking lights. Ps pros I think. First time was in Nov. Cost 100 and thy got it working and my game out. Hd intact. Juat happened again 2 months ago. Of course I didn't back up my Hd while it was working. The warranty on the fix was only 3 months. They charged me 70 this time. Second time l a noire was inside. I purchased a new ps3 after it broke the second time. There us another thread about it somewhere.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
Okay;
check youtube and look for yellow light of death/ps3 fix vids....do that and your old PS3 should survive long enough to transfer the info from your old ps3 to your new one. depending on how well you do it the old PS3 may last a while or it may die in 2 months...it all depends on how much you play. my OG PS3 is still kicking after i did the yellow blinking light of death fix....and now my kids play with it like there's no tomorrow. basically you have to fix the old PS3 to transfer the info on the HD in to to your new PS3...it's a tedious job but it's worth the effort.

stellar, if you did move to NYC PM me. i'll do it for you free of charge....i just require that you get a tube of thermal paste for me to do it...i have everything else and it literally takes around half an hour to do.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't moved to NYC yet (sorry). After considering it; the increased cost of living is a major barrier. Plus; I'm starting my own design company here in Cincinnati. In the meantime, I saw you can blow a goddamn hair dryer into the old PS3 to "re-sodler" it to the board and get it to boot again. That's an "N" rig if I ever saw one! I might try it later. Fuck; this is annoying!
And I bought a new one, racists! Damn Wackbag. :)

Stig

Wackbag's All-Time Greatest Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't moved to NYC yet (sorry). After considering it; the increased cost of living is a major barrier. Plus; I'm starting my own design company here in Cincinnati. In the meantime, I saw you can blow a goddamn hair dryer into the old PS3 to "re-sodler" it to the board and get it to boot again. That's an "N" rig if I ever saw one! I might try it later. Fuck; this is annoying!
And I bought a new one, racists! Damn Wackbag. :)
I had a 60gb, and once I got the RLOD, it went back for repairs on the service plan. Got fixed over and over again until they said "We can't fix this, here's a check for what you paid for it." But as said above, you may get it running long enough to do a proper backup.

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
Lesson to everyone, back up your game saves once a month.

When my launch ps3 died I was 124 games into my mlb season. Boy did that suck.