Free & Discounted Books

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Since Amazon has dozens of free Kindle books every day, I decided to make a thread where people can post interesting books being offered for free or on sale. This thread isn't specific to Kindle books, but I'm assuming they will make up most of the offers.

I'll start with Part 1 of Wool by Hugh Howey free on Amazon for Kindle... probably will only last for a few hours more or a day at most.

Thousands of them have lived underground. They've lived there so long, there are only legends about people living anywhere else. Such a life requires rules. Strict rules. There are things that must not be discussed. Like going outside. Never mention you might like going outside.

Or you'll get what you wish for.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/B005FC52L0/skim0x83100-20

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Just to add, I have hundreds of Kindle books I grabbed for free, and obviously you don't want them all on your device. At checkout you have the option to send the book to Kindle Cloud Reader, which I use pretty much as storage. When you get around to reading it, you can go in and send it to your device. This secures your "purchase" without cluttering up you device.

Another thought, make sure you verify the book is still free when you click on the links. Amazon is pretty arbitrary about how long the books are free, but for the most part you can grab it the same day it's posted here... sometimes well into the following day.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
BN.com has a free section too and there's also a free book every Friday. They're also starting to do a free App Friday but the Nook app store isn't anything like Google Play or the Amazon App store. Really the worst thing about the Nook - although I mainly use mine for reading so it's not the end of the world.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379003078/

With Calibre we can get any file e-book and just make it work with whatever device we have.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
This book is free today, and has a pretty good rating (4 stars out of 90 reviews).

SEVEN-X (A Psychological Suspense-Thriller and Horror Novel) - Mike Wech

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MF7LV2/?tag=wackbagcom-20

SEVEN-X is the first book in the SEVEN-X Trilogy, revolving around Los Angeles Times Investigative Reporter Eddie Hansen, who gets a tip on a missing death row prisoner being held at a Behavioral Health Center in a remote location outside the small town of Dell City, Texas. With an opportunity to break the story, Eddie voluntarily commits himself into the asylum in hopes of finding Annette Dobson, "The SIDS Killer." She is rumored to have had her execution faked so she could be shipped to the asylum, have an exorcism and give birth to the child the world thinks is dead.

Eddie's journals, video diary and recordings leave a trail of breadcrumbs into experimental procedures conducted on patients without their consent. As he dives deeper into his investigation, Eddie is forced to confront his own demons as an unwilling participant in the asylum's controversial rehabilitation procedures.
This is a revised Collector's limited edition copy of SEVEN-X

ianbobo

It's My Birthday!
Oct 4, 2004
South of Boston
Pretty sure everyone on the planet has read that book by now. I know it's an airplane book but I enjoyed the shit out of it.
I figured as much but it's free. I like free and thought maybe someone on here may not have read it.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Pretty sure everyone on the planet has read that book by now. I know it's an airplane book but I enjoyed the shit out of it.
I enjoyed it also. When the movie was coming out, there was an online game that was pretty fun also... you had to solve mysteries by decrypting shit, which would lead you to the next website where another puzzle existed. It was a great time waster back then.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I enjoyed it also. When the movie was coming out, there was an online game that was pretty fun also... you had to solve mysteries by decrypting shit, which would lead you to the next website where another puzzle existed. It was a great time waster back then.
That sounds fun. As a youngster, every once in a while, my mom would lead my sister and I around the house with little clues left all over the place. It was one of the most fun things I remember doing as a child. All parents out there should do it.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
That sounds fun. As a youngster, every once in a while, my mom would lead my sister and I around the house with little clues left all over the place. It was one of the most fun things I remember doing as a child. All parents out there should do it.
It was cool... I'm trying to remember what they called games like this, but they were pretty popular 7 or 8 years ago. Some were pretty in-depth... you had to search in the HTML code of websites for clues and stuff like that, and a lot required you learning different decyphering methods to figure out what the code said.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
It's the only fiction book I've read since the 90s. As cheap as I am, I read it on my computer screen back when the movie came out. No iPad, no Kindle, just me hunched in front of my monitor for hours. Ugh.

That Seven-X book sounds pretty good.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
That Seven-X book sounds pretty good.
Yeah, and the fact that it's first in a series adds to its value. I threw it in the collection of ~300 free ebooks I've grabbed off Amazon... no idea when I'm going to get to reading any of them.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
It was cool... I'm trying to remember what they called games like this, but they were pretty popular 7 or 8 years ago. Some were pretty in-depth... you had to search in the HTML code of websites for clues and stuff like that, and a lot required you learning different decyphering methods to figure out what the code said.
Ever fuck around with "Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time"? I never could get anywhere on that.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Ever fuck around with "Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time"? I never could get anywhere on that.
Fart piano!

Not Pron was the biggest of those. They are like scavenger hunts. Close to ARG (alternate reality games) but not quite because they have no plot, just a series of puzzles.