Free Satellite TV

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I was wondering if anyone here has free satellite TV. I have thought about buying a receiver for myself but I wouldn't be able to use it anyway until I move out of an apartment (when I finish college).

And for those that don't know, just like back in the 80s you can pick up free satellite TV thanks to the FCC. Of course companies like DirectTV and Dish have sued to try to get things changed but fuck em.

If you have enough dishes you can pick up about 6,000 channels.

The only draw back is that since your taking feeds from satellites you have to manually update your channel playlists each week via the internet from many tech forums. Or you can just wing it like old-school cable. That way you can just leave your USB thumbnail left in the receiver box and flip through the channels and ignore the playlists since they will be from weeks prior. And when it asks for an update you just reboot the box and it reads the channel list still on the USB drive.

But for having to take 5 minutes to do that once a week you get hundreds of free channels, that make their money from commercials anyway, plus pay-per-view movies and events like boxing.

I'm just curious if anyone here actually has these type of boxes and if they are working out for you. It would be nice to have the HD boxes :p I may get something like that in the future.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Does anyone know what all is offered with the unencrypted TV channels? From what I've heard it's totally legal to receive anything that's broadcast unencrypted basically.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
you can watch the feeds of network tv shows the morning of the night they air... and get some educational crap. Most everything else is encrypted. We have it at work and very rarely use it. IMO not worth the hassle, it's not gonna get you much more than an antennae will get you in my experience.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
you can watch the feeds of network tv shows the morning of the night they air... and get some educational crap. Most everything else is encrypted. We have it at work and very rarely use it. IMO not worth the hassle, it's not gonna get you much more than an antennae will get you in my experience.
I saw a partial list of channels from one satellite and most of it is Christian TV garbage from the looks of it.

However there were a handful of channels like The Documentary Channel, VH1, MTV, CNN and then a bunch of network channels.

I don't know. I could spend all day watching the DOC channel like a fucking zombie though.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Before I moved into my apt, I had wanted to get my hands on a second-hand dish... just to scan the sats and see what I could find.

Not so much for daily viewing... but for hobby stuff. Kind of like using a police scanner. With a dish, you could pick up things like TV news crew live feeds, network feeds, etc.

I wonder if there's people streaming it to the net. Would be the nice apartment alternative. lol

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Yea...the old C-Band and KU bands had tons of feeds on them.

My parents had one for the longest. You got all the syndicated shows for free pretty much including a weeks worth of syndicated TV in one block on Sunday or Saturday as well as the promos and commercials.

I remember watching Woodstock 2 on it. They had the straight feeds which included the cameramen fucking around and zooming in on naked chicks.

The encrypted channels were accessible to a degree if you had the right tuner and paid for them though. You could buy most of them ala carte too.

Edit: Oh, I remember the live shows were sometimes the best. Dana Carvey did his rough feed across them showing him working the audience before his show came on. Sometimes he'd just be playing around but it was kind of like watching a live taping as you saw all the goofs and stuff.

my_liver_aches

Nov 19, 2006
Comox... find it on a map ;)
Hey all... just saw this thread... pm if details wanted, theres alot you can do (including Hi-Def) if your a little tech savvy and dont mind periodic down time.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
fta ftw!

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
if you dont HAVE to watch stuff live, but rather 2 or so hours after it airs, go w/ torrents and newsgroups...you can get virtually any network show 2 hours after it airs...you can even get NFL games (the playoff games are avail) etc..There is a format called x264 that is basically 720p...very nice when displayed on an HD via dvi to hdmi, or when watched on a PC w/ a vlc media player