Fringe: The Final Season

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Starts tonight. It's only 13 episodes, but I'm sure they won't run in a row (thanks baseball). Trailer looks awesome, but not sure how I feel about jumping 25 years in the future, especially if Olivia isn't around. However, anytime you have more Henry Ian Cusick it's a good thing.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
Three things:
1. three way with Olivia and her grown daughter = hot.
2. I am all in even though I thought they would have done better to tell Fox to fuck themselves for putting them through the wringer for the last 4 years.
3. If they end this show with a simple, "we swear not to become them" and the Observers just vanish, I am going on a mother fucking killing spree and JJ Abrams will be first to go.

Fringe on.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Love the new opening. Cant wait to see what happens this season.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Holy shit, she's a coffee table. Great!

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Olivia Jr. is a fucking badass!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
After super-marathoning Fringe earlier this summer and not watching it for several month after it had been such a big part of my viewing experience in such a condensed period, it was weird to remember that this show is on and having new episodes. I liked the episode. And I really liked that final scene with Walter, which seemed more like something you'd see on cable than on a network drama to me- both in the way it was filmed and what happened.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
It feels like there's a whole season missing between 4 and 5 that shifts the focus from universe vs universe to Fringe vs Observers and actually builds towards and shows the Observers taking over in 2016.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
It feels like there's a whole season missing between 4 and 5 that shifts the focus from universe vs universe to Fringe vs Observers and actually builds towards and shows the Observers taking over in 2016.
But the show has done that before. Where a new season feels like a completely different show. I thought last season was like that too with everyone forgetting about Peter. I'm sure we'll have a flashback showing how we got from there to here.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
But the show has done that before. Where a new season feels like a completely different show. I thought last season was like that too with everyone forgetting about Peter. I'm sure we'll have a flashback showing how we got from there to here.
I hope we do but there's only 12 more episodes left. This guy explains it really well.

http://www.hitfix.com/monkeys-as-critics/recap-fringe-premiere-transilience-thought-unifier-model-11

Where “Fringe” has always excelled is in making the true adversary internal as opposed to external. People often fight against their own worse impulses on this show, placing the drama squarely upon the choices they make. Those self-contained conflicts often spill out and affect others around them, but always have a personal point of origin.
But in 2036, “Fringe” has replaced the internal with the external, turning the show away from a series-long examination of empathy into a more rote “us versus them” battle that doesn’t feel particularly inevitable within the larger text of the show. The previous war between two universes felt larger than the battle currently being waged in this fifth season, but it also felt far more intimate. “Fringe” challenged us in the third season to view the “other” world as equally viable as the one it originally established. And it completely succeeded in doing so! The actual plot mechanics of the Doomsday Device fall apart upon any close examination, but that doesn’t matter: We felt for both sides, didn’t want either to win OR lose, and thus focused on the moral quandaries presented by Walter Bishop’s all-too-human original sin. Crossing over to save a version of Peter Bishop started this story. Did anyone see it ending with an invasion by a future race of humans that destroyed their version of Earth?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
That is a good point. And one of the things that most impressed me about the show during my marathon rewatch was how it didn't go in a lot of expected routes. Massive Dynamics was an ally pretty much from the start. William Bell didn't frame Walter for his assistant's murder. The two Earths were treated with respect. Julie McNiven was ridiculously hot as the bug girl.

So I'm going to hope it gets better than Good v. Evil.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I know what you mean. I need to know at what point Walter became un-retarded.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I know what you mean. I need to know at what point Walter became un-retarded.
Wouldn't that be when Olivia and Peter's daughter and the 2036 Fringe Agent buy, broke into Massive Dynamics and used that piece of his brain they had locked up to repair him? It was on the episode last season that was the first to take place in 2036.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama

I agree but it would be amazing what a 3 or 4 part summer arc could have transitioned the show from 4 to 5. I don't think it would have taken a full season, just a few episodes that show what leads the team to amber themselves and I am sure that it will get covered during the season, maybe even the next couple episodes.

The episode last week, I am not sure about it. I think it has a different tone to it than anything we have seen from the Fringe show thus far. It seemed much more dark and much more in your face than the sneaky, guerrilla tactics from Jones. I am just not sold that I am digging the new style yet, though I think from previews that it looks like the guerrilla tactics might get picked up and used from the fringe team.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I NetFlix'd season one and then did the DVR'd season four. Helped greatly to keep focus of what is going on in season five.

Not to be too greedy, but I take mom/daughter/alter-verse Olivia, FTW.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I NetFlix'd season one and then did the DVR'd season four. Helped greatly to keep focus of what is going on in season five.

Not to be too greedy, but I take mom/daughter/alter-verse Olivia, FTW.
I'd take Bug Girl. And by take I mean, Jesus Lord was she (Julie McNiven) hot.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Supernatural and Mad Men

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
She played a psych ward patient in Supernatural as a re-occurring character starting season 4. ( a Liddy fetish)
On SG: U, she played an alien chick in the second season.
On Mad Men, she was Pete Campbell's secretary at the Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency until season 4.

On The Groomsman, as an extra with the band.
L.A. Noire as Ruth Douglas
House, Nikita, Desperate Housewives, L&O:CI, etc

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1617837/

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
"Now you must retrieve the first tape." *zap*

Thanks, Walter. A fucking clue as to where it might be would've been helpful.

So the big idea the producers had for the final season is . . . a scavenger hunt?

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Just spotted this on another forum . . . subtle differences between Peter & Olivia's dreams at the beginning of each episode:

Episode 1:

Gray shirt, red blanket.

Episode 2:

Brown shirt, green blanket.

I think it has to mean something. Even if they were filmed separately (which could be the case, since we don't see Peter's face this week, so Joshua Jackson might have been busy), that sort of continuity error is pretty blatant.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Bet it signifies the dual universes somehow.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Nice catch on the flashbacks. I'm sure that will come back. I liked this weeks episode more than last weeks. The highlight was re-animator Desmond. Not sure if I like the girl playing Etta yet. She's a little too blah.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Im really loving the dystopian (spelling, meh) future world so far. 2 weeks till a new episode but at least Ill be able to catch up on other crap and clear out the DVR.