OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

FTL: Faster Than Light

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by freud, Oct 7, 2012.

1. freud

freud i have a penis

Anybody else playing this? I just got it today and it's pretty neat. And very tough. It's definitely worth checking out if you're into sim or strategy games. Makes for a fun (and cheap) timesink.

2. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

I've never even heard of it. Looks interesting.

3. freud

freud i have a penis

I hadn't heard of it either, but I'm glad I did. I'm having more fun with a $10 indie title than almost anything else I've played this year. Everything is randomized which makes it a different experience every time, which has resulted in dozens of fantastic and unique deaths for my crew.

For example, I'm fighting some pirate cruiser in an asteroid field. My ship is taking damage from asteroids and I'm getting bombarded by the pirates at the same time. My systems are failing and large sections of my ship are on fire. I manage to take out the pirates, but I still have to deal with the fires so I open the airlocks and vent my ship. Then a stray asteroid hits the system that operates the door controls, so my airlocks are stuck open and there is no oxygen anywhere on the ship except the little safe room I've set up for my crew. I need to repair the engines before I can get out of the asteroid field, but the rest of the ship is now an airless death trap. I send my crew one by one to their deaths, watching each of them suffocate in their attempts to make desperate repairs.

I couldn't even be pissed that I just lost a decent 30 minutes of gameplay, just because I thought the game over was cool.

4. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

Randomly got a hold of this and was so impressed, I went out and bought it on Steam.

It's a hoot! I never ran into a game that when I died, I was as happy as when I came in!

It's akin to the old school 'Oregon Trail' but in space with some added gameplay elements. Simple, fucking hard, and fun! If you dig random space exploration and/or like Roguelike type games, pick it up. It's cheap and I guarantee you it's worth the coin.

5. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Yep I posted about in the "What Are You Playing" thread. I got it for like $5. I use it as a filler game when I can't decide what else to play.

6. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

I saw this in a "Lets Play" video on youtube but it was still in a Beta Pre-Release form. Have they officially launched it or is it still in Beta?