FU $10 minimums

HerkyJerkyLiz

Posts below off topic.
Oct 14, 2004
i stopped at a gas station on my way to work. got a redbull, a bag of chips and a lighter. it came to around $7. i went to go use my debit card and the lululululululu behind the counter proceeded to tell me they had a $10 minimum on cards. i asked why even though i knew what his answer was going to be and he said because they get charged on small purchases. first of all, businesses dont get charged unless its a ridiculously small amount, like 98 cents or something like that. second of all, i was using a debit card not a credit card so there would have been no charge involved.

i was in a rush and didnt feel like arguing so i said, just charge me $10 then. he refused. he told me i had to buy other things.. so i grab another bag of chips and a pack of gum. it came to $9.99 and the guy looked at me about to tell me to get something else. i gave him the look of death and he rang it up anyway. fuck these assholes with their minimum purchases!!! while its not technically illegal for them to do that it does violate visa and mastercard policy and they are not allowed to have minimum requirements. yes, im going to be that cunt who prints out the visa policy and i will be returning to the gas station or the pizza place by my job that pulls the same shit. FUCK YOU ASSHOLES!!

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I heard that some gas stations are charging higher prices for gas to keep profits up as well. It's legal but when they don't mention it, it kind of pisses me off.

Some people are just profit hogs. One of my employers used to think the same.

Dec 18, 2005
Huntington, New York
As far as the gas stations go, they are regulated with the pricing based on their suppliers and locations. It's pretty tightly regulated, from which suppliers they can use based on the area, to the profit margin minimum and maximum.

As far as the charge cards go, fuck them. They pay a percentage for credit charges. It's just a pain in the ass for them to run a credit for 1.98, but get into the fucking 21st century where we purchase cashless. If it's debit, you or your bank pays, so they don't have shit to complain about.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I don't know how debit cards work, but most businesses are charged a percentage of the sale PLUS a per-card transaction charge. Therefore, they want you buy enough to cover the added cost of doing business with the card holder.

Many years ago I worked in a non-for-profit clinic and charged a $0.50 surcharge for the use of credit cards. But that was before the use of plastic was so prevalent. Most of the patients paid with medicaid, cash, or the occasional check.

bobimpact

Sat Radio Tech Nerd
Jul 14, 2003
Yeah fuck that guy trying to make a living.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
My only gripe is the few gas stations that charge differently for gas should clearly state it. Not many do it anyhow.. it is legal in some cases in NJ, not sure about NY.

I don't have an issue with CC minimums. Though most smaller vendors should be able to update & avoid it to some degree. Profit margins aren't that great in some of those stores & others are just in the habit.

HerkyJerkyLiz

Posts below off topic.
Oct 14, 2004
Yeah fuck that guy trying to make a living.
fuck that savage. let him try to make a living in the land of camels and sand and see how he does there.

ive worked with credit card companies before. i understand how it works. in order for them to lose any money they would have to be accepting charges on amounts of around $1.00. and again, i was using a debit card. debit cards have no effect on them. its a direct withdrawal from your bank. THEY ARENT CHARGED FOR IT! they use this method to try and upsell people that come in so they can get rid of more product. and most people dont do anything about it because they just cant be bothered.

YET AGAIN, it is against visa and mastercard policy for businesses to demand a minimum charge. you could go in and buy a fucking 5cent piece of bazooka joe and put it on your credit card if you wanted to.

i dont carry cash. its the year fucking 2007. maybe habib should give up credit card machines all together and go back to using an abacus and stone slab with chisel.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
fuck that savage. let him try to make a living in the land of camels and sand and see how he does there.

i dont carry cash. its the year fucking 2007. maybe habib should give up credit card machines all together and go back to using an abacus and stone slab with chisel.
:clap::clap:

That's priceless

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast

ive worked with credit card companies before. i understand how it works. in order for them to lose any money they would have to be accepting charges on amounts of around $1.00. and again, i was using a debit card. debit cards have no effect on them. its a direct withdrawal from your bank. THEY ARENT CHARGED FOR IT! they use this method to try and upsell people that come in so they can get rid of more product. and most people dont do anything about it because they just cant be bothered.

YET AGAIN, it is against visa and mastercard policy for businesses to demand a minimum charge. you could go in and buy a fucking 5cent piece of bazooka joe and put it on your credit card if you wanted to.

Actually, use of debit cards can cost the retailer more than credit cards. Walmart was engaged in a big lawsuit against Visa because they were being charged a higher fee for customers using Visa debit cards versus Visa credit cards. I don't know what the outcome was, or if it's still pending. I just remember reading a very good article about it at the time.

Also, I think the fees may be different if you use a debit card where the PIN # must be entered versus one that gets processed like a credit card where PIN entry is not required.

I think the average is 3% of the transaction, because alot of businesses I have dealt with charge 3% more if you use a credit card.

HerkyJerkyLiz

Posts below off topic.
Oct 14, 2004
Actually, use of debit cards can cost the retailer more than credit cards. Walmart was engaged in a big lawsuit against Visa because they were being charged a higher fee for customers using Visa debit cards versus Visa credit cards. I don't know what the outcome was, or if it's still pending. I just remember reading a very good article about it at the time.

Also, I think the fees may be different if you use a debit card where the PIN # must be entered versus one that gets processed like a credit card where PIN entry is not required.

I think the average is 3% of the transaction, because alot of businesses I have dealt with charge 3% more if you use a credit card.
using a debit card as a charge like a credit card may have a different percentage rate like what you stated above. but using it as a debit card where you are actually entering your pin is a direct transaction and should in no way effect a business.

either way i intend to do more research on this to:

1. make sure im correct and dont look like an ass.
2. find out how to prevent this from happening in the future

and regardless of any of that.. it is currently still visa and mastercard policy that you should be able to use your card for purchases of any amount, anywhere where visa and mastercard is accepted. those who dont follow that are breaking card policy and shouldnt be allowed to accept those cards if they dont want to play by the rules. i know i sound like an 80 year old letter writer but i dont give a fuck. some shit just really pisses me off.

HerkyJerkyLiz

Posts below off topic.
Oct 14, 2004
If your debit card says "Visa" on it, that means the merchant is paying a fee.
you know what i say to that? tough shit on them. its pennies. also from the visa site:

Minimum Purchase
Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items. They also are not permitted to charge you a fee when you want to use your Visa card.

If you run into a problem like this with a merchant, please notify the financial institution that issued you your Visa card. These institutions have access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations and can help you document and file your complaint. You'll find their address and/or telephone number on your Visa statement. Their telephone number may also appear on the back of the card itself.

FUCK THEM IN THEIR ASSES!

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That's the next thing I was going to tell you. You can complain to Visa. :)

Businesses benefit from increased sales by being able to accept credit cards. The fees are a drop in the bucket, especially at a gas station. With today's gas prices, I don't know anyone who pays cash anymore. It costs me $80-$90 to fill up now. I generally don't have that much cash on me.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I am gonna print that section out from Visa's site and keep it with me next time I go to a computer show and one of these Asian or Arab bastards wants to charge an extra 3% to 5% when I buy some RAM or a motherboard from them.

HerkyJerkyLiz

Posts below off topic.
Oct 14, 2004
I am gonna print that section out from Visa's site and keep it with me next time I go to a computer show and one of these Asian or Arab bastards wants to charge an extra 3% to 5% when I buy some RAM or a motherboard from them.
exactly. i mean, im not a cheap skate by any means. i was willing to have the guy charge me the extra $3 without buying anything else just because i couldnt be bothered wasting my time but its the point. this shit happens all the time. i go to buy lunch and they tell me i have to spend at least $10??? i just wanta slice of pizza and a soda!!! then it dawned on me, this happens to tons of people every day and they are raking in this extra cash because of it. fuck that. not anymore, not to me. maaaaaaann. :rolleyes:

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
May 21, 2005
Philadelphia
Holy shit - thats a real good idea. Thats all I see at the shows when it comes to advertising prices.

Edit: Here's one link confirming the Visa contract

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20010418a.asp?prodtype=cc

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Yeah, they're dicks. And if you pay cash, they charge you "sales tax" and you know damn well they aren't reporting it, so they are pocketing the extra money.

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Similar thing at Dunkin Donuts. Go in to buy a dozen donuts for the office morning shift. I go to check out and there the sign, "$10.00 minimum for credit cards". In my head I think, "Ehh what the hell, I'll get two dozen and those animals will eat em up at the office." So I hold up the line order another dozen. Whip out the credit card and the lady in the Burka just looks at me through her little eye slot and says, "Im sorry we don't take credit cards anymore.". At this point I look back down at the sign on the counter, just to see her little hand reach up and yank if off the counter and stash it under the register. My little brain snapped and my left eye twitched a few times as I stared at the little blue Visa swipy machine attached to the register then I just walked out without saying anything else. Who carries cash anymore?

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
There's a paki-run place next door to the cigar shop I go to. I met a friend there a couple mondays ago, we were both thirsty, he figured he'd go in, get me red bull and him an orange soda so we'd have something to drink with our cigars. Those bastards pulled that shit on him. We even slammed those ragheads with the owner of the cigar shop for 20 minutes.
After our cigars, I went in, purposely grabbed a bunch of slim jims, the 99 cent bags of chips, and the little 25 cent candies. I made sure it totaled around $9. I put this heap of junk food on the counter, he rang it all up, it came to 9.55.
I handed him my card and told him debit please.

"ten dollar minimum" /Apu

I said, "you're kidding me right"
"no ten dollar" /Apu

I looked him right in the eye
"then YOU can put all this shit back you fucking savage!"
and walked out

I can't remember the last time I had cash on me. Case in point, I lost my receipt for something I bought at Home Depot that I had to return, they were able to look up the purchase because I used my card. Fuck those savages.

poppAwoody

C colon enter
May 23, 2006
LI, New York
yea the pakis near me do this with the fucking sign, I hate them cause I forget at times. But the 7-11's could care less I can swipe for a $1.50 drink for all they care, and now you dont even ave to sign if its under $20

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
I went to a local dry cleaner to get a suitcoat cleaned. It came to 12 dollars. I went to pay and the 'rady' behind the 'krountrer' said "20 dolla minimum" and i said "That is a violation of the visa terms of service." and she said "But you see sign, $20 dollar minimum..."

and I said "Look lady, I am sure you are proud of the little business you are running here, and I am never coming back here again. You charge me the $12 and I go on my way...or we make an issue out of this, I call the Mass. Attny Gen. office and they roll in here...you get audited....the Ins comes and sees all the illegals you have pressing your clothes and you are out of business all because you wanted to charge me $20 for $12 worth of cleaning..."
Oh, I only ended up paying $12
I don't take shit ever....

After reading this i am tempted to find that Habib's gas station and start charging gas on my CCard $0.99 at a time...30 transactions later I have 10 gal of gas and he loses money, right :)

BTW i pay cash for less than 10 things a year...ALL credit card all the time and I pay it off every month...That way it is an interest free loan for 30 days every month...