OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

FU Harley-Davidson

Discussion in 'What the F??!?' started by Biff Hardslab, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Biff Hardslab

Biff Hardslab I have the t-shirt

First I want to say that I love my Harley. I love riding it. I went on a 250 mi stretch Saturday and enjoyed every minute of it. I like the camaraderie with the other Harley riders. I've had more fun on my Road King in a month than I had on my Yamaha VStar in two years. The only thing I would trade my bike for is another Harley.

But, fuck you Harley Davidson. I'm a dope that will buy your merchandise. I will always walk out of a dealership with a new t-shrt, coffee mug, hoodie, wallet, colostomy bag...etc. If its got the Harley logo on it, I'm interested in buying it. But the majority of your stuff is made in China. I understand the reasoning behind it. Even though you pride yourself on being an American company, you want to save money by having a fleet of Chinese 7 year olds sew your clothes together for $.08 an hour. But how about sending some of that savings back to your customers. I'm paying American prices for Chinese made products. The Harley coffee cup that I'm drinking out of right now was made in Thailand. $15. You could have charged $6 and still made a nice profit. The jacket that I paid $140 for, while very nice and gets compliments, probably cost you about $18 to produce and ship over here. $30 for a t-shirt? I don't remember seeing a rock concert before I bought it.

"Then quit buying it. We all know how much you love t-shirts, so quit bitching."

You're right. But I'm not going to stop. I'll pay it, and keep the cycle going. So FU to me too for being dumb enough to buy it.

2. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

I don't believe that you think you're stupid. People who think they're stupid feel more shame than this about it. You seem to be more proud of yourself than anything.

3. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ
    It's My Birthday!

The way to get American made Harley Davidson gear is to know your size and buy vintage. For example, I did a quick search on ebay and found numerous Harley Davidson shirts/jackets/chaps made in the USA (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=HARLEY DAVIDSON LEATHER JACKET MOTORCYCLE BLACK MENS USA made&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XHARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLE MENS USA made&_nkw=HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLE MENS USA made&_sacat=0). Obviously the selection won't be as wide ranging, but with a little patience you'll find things you like.

4. Biff Hardslab

That is a good selection. I'm not hung up on the stuff being made in China (although I was surprised because of the way Harley markets itself) because that's the world we live in now. I'm just pissy because the items are priced like they were made in the U.S.A.

5. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

Good old Harley, still fighting for the American way so we aren't forced to buy cheap foreign goods.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa032.html

6. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

that's right, the "Harley Tax" put on all the rice rockets

at least you own one of them

I hate all the people who buy harley stuff and don't have a harley

7. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

The Harley tax is what doomed mid-sized Japanese cruisers like the Honda Silver Wing. They had just came out with the upgraded CX-650 wing, when it took effect making that an 83 only bike. I'd love to have one, but finding parts for a 30 year old single year bike....

8. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

Hundred dollars

9. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

If it wasn't for those people, there would be no people who have a Harley. It's the people who buy Harley shit that keep that company afloat. Shit... I'll bet Harley is at the point where they're selling motorcycles as a loss leader and a gimmick to keep their lucrative Chinese-made Harley merchandise market going.

10. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

I can't drive a motorcycle and don't really think I ever will, but my dad's Victory has me so FUCKING JEALOUS. I'd own one over a Harley anyday.

11. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

Bingo! A buddy of mine worked for harley. He will tell you flat out they make way more money selling "the lifestyles" and chrome bobbles to bolt on than they do on motorcycles

12. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

And it's a travesty that such should be the case.

The Japanese motorcycle company executives must look at Harley Davidson and scratch their heads like, "How the fuck can they have such such a huge and fiercely-loyal market of enthusiasts for their motorcycles, yet they can only manage to make money selling T-shirts? What the hell is wrong with these round eye?"

The Japs can stay competitive and profitable selling motorcycles that don't have a fraction of the brand loyalty Harley enjoys, and the Japs probably make dick all selling T-shirts.

What's Harely's deal that they're like always teetering on the brink of bankruptcy? Is it a union thing? Unions are they only thing that I can think of that would fuck up a wet dream like Harley's brand loyalty.

13. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

I know the York plant is a union shop.

14. MurphCO

MurphCO Well-Known Member
    Donator

Harley is a great T-Shirt company that also happens to make Motorcycles.

I liken most of the Harley crowd to being the same FAT shit shows that go to the M&M Store in Vegas, or take their kids to the Disney Store in the mall....

its all about the brand name and not the quality of the product.

15. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton It's all about the funny!

There are imported parts on the bike too, I am told.

16. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

If I ever bought a bike it wouldn't be a Harley. I want no part of that stupidity. Give me a Honda.

Arch Stanton likes this.
  17. SpokaneFlyer

SpokaneFlyer Registered User

There is no other bike like a Harley. Often imitated though.

Biff Hardslab likes this.
  18. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

I want a Harley, the damn things are loud as shit. My Magna sounds like a fucking lawn mower. Gets some decent speed, but the Harley's are just nicer rides.

Pigdango likes this.
  19. Biff Hardslab

Off the floor they aren't. The stock pipes are very quiet. Any loud Harley you hear has had a good chunk of money spent to get that sound. My bike is in stealth mode. That problem will be fixed in the spring when I get some Vance and Hines or Rhinehart slip ons put on. The riding season is almost over here, so I'm not going to bother with it right now.

20. CougarHunter

Someone at work was relating a story to me last week about how his boss would never have a "metric" bike and only rode Harleys. He was working on said boss' bike, and delighted him to no end to tell the boss that he had to bust out the metric wrenches and sockets to work on his baby.

d0uche_n0zzle likes this.
  21. JoeyDVDZ

Yeah, the Harley's are going more and more to foreign parts. Sad really... Still, I'd rather be sitting on a Dyna when other Harley riders go past me; you just seem to get more respect on them.

Pigdango likes this.
  22. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Which will probably make them more reliable.

23. JoeyDVDZ

You're probably right... maybe they'll actually stop spitting oil all over the place!

Pigdango likes this.
  24. SatansCheerledr

SatansCheerledr Ideologically Unsound

Harley's are totally awesome pieces of shit.

25. CougarHunter

I'll never be troubled with having to finding out. There are at least 5 different motorcycle companies that would have to go out of business before I bought one.