FU Linksys Wireless Routers

MyKneeGrows

A Mean-Spirited Nothing™
Sep 14, 2006
Milwaukee
February 2007, I bought a Dell laptop, Linksys Router and Linksys Wireless card, all new. I had to call Linksys about every 3 or 4 weeks because the card would just stop finding the router. The router was encrypted and password protected since day 1. So about a week ago I tried to log on through the laptop and nothing happened. Scanned for hours, never finding my network. The same night, my neighbor who lives upstairs tells me how he found a "Free" wireless connection and it was really fast. I get on my PC, look at the network, and I'm looking at his pictures on his desktop. Powered everything down, unplugged the router, hardlined the connection back through the modem, and powered back up. Wackbag was taking about 4 minutes to load now. And I don't have that kind of time, I have post whoring to do. Anywho.

Called cable, scheduled a tech to come out. Seems that Linksys' POS router FRIED my Ethernet Card. So they fixed my shit, new card, and are coming next week to hook up my wireless network.

Moral of this story:

How does my neighbor access a "Secure" network, and end up not allowing me to access the network?

How does a router FRY a network card, by just being unplugged?

FUCK YOU LINKSYS, RIGHT IN YOUR FUCKING ASSES!!!

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Sounds like you thought it was secure, but it wasn't secure. I bet you probably set a password to get into the router configuration, but the wireless signal itself was not encrypyed.

MyKneeGrows

A Mean-Spirited Nothing™
Sep 14, 2006
Milwaukee
You bought a new laptop without a built in wireless card?
Yes, it was on sale and said it was wireless READY. An oversight on my part, but still shouldn't matter.

Sounds like you thought it was secure, but it wasn't secure. I bet you probably set a password to get into the router configuration, but the wireless signal itself was not encrypyed.
No, the signal WAS encrypted and secure, the cable guy checked it out while he was here.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
All of my neighbors who have cable internet have unsecured wireless because everything is just as it was installed. If it was encrypted, there is no way in hell your neighbor should have been able to stumble on it.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
I had a similar problem with a Linksys access point a few months back. I called the East Indian savages on their tech support hotline, described my entire network layout, waited on hold for 20 minutes, got shufffled through 6 people, and finally told me [Apu] This is not the right thing for your system. You need another router instead [/Apu].

Real useful advice, shitdicks!!

So I got tired of them and exchanged it for a DLink access point and worked no problem. Fuck Linksys and their useless savages they employ. I hope Monsoon season was extra heavy this year, and another tsunami wallops you too! Fuckers!

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
The other thing that could have possibly happened is that the router did a hard-reset and lost any custom settings and reverted to the out-of-box configuration which is 100% unsecured.

In this area, Comcast provides Linksys routers with their service, and apparently the techs usesthe same username/password for the router administration console, and often the same wireless encryption key. There are probably tons of people out there who are using someone else's wi-fi but don't even know it.

When my FIOS was installed, the installers recorded the login/password/key configuration of my router for support reasons. All were changed immediately after they left.

MyKneeGrows

A Mean-Spirited Nothing™
Sep 14, 2006
Milwaukee
All I know is Time Warner is coming on the 8th to install there shit, and I was assured that they do not use Linksys junk.
I just wanna be able to post while I'm taking a dump:action-sm

Feb 20, 2007
I did not read the post but I do want to say the last linksys router I had I punched it and and blew apart in pieces. I learned they are made like legos. They are crap.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
linksys (and all routers) has a feature called MAC address filtering. Use it. Every wireless device has a MAC address which is unique. The router will only connect to the following MAC addresses. The MAC address should be on the back of your wireless card. Use that, and then set a wireless encryption password and turn it on wpa if you can...Seriously there should not be that big of an issue w/ the linksys router. they sell so many of those that they make them pretty easy to work with. I agree with the reset theory. that the router reset itself to factory default

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I just wanna be able to post while I'm taking a dump:action-sm

Good to find out it's not just me. Pssst, got any toilet paper over there?

I've left mine unsecured since day one, and really could give a shit if anyone used it. I tried to secure it once and it locked everything down and I had to reset everything. What a pain in the ass.

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
They turned into shit starting at the WRTG54 V4, that couldn't be flashed. They started using shit components and less flash rom so people wouldn't use 3rd party firmware, like it was some huge problem...

Anyways, I've seen the situation before and it happened when one of my customers set up their own security, but they did it wirelessly and to the wrong AP, then the owner of that router moved away one day, and all that was left was the linksys SSID... Another time that happened, same thing, wrong AP, set up through wireless (check the mac on the box if that's your only choice people). Now as soon as the router's real owner got home that day, noticing he can't get on his own wireless, hard resets the router. My customer already had a profile with the ssid linksys set to connect automatically, he never knew it.
I've seen the newer routers just stop broadcasting and listening. I even seen them brick after a week.

The linksys WRT54GL is $10 more but it's still the same old pre-v5 G router with the good components and more flash rom.

Problem is, linksys is still the best consumer router in the industry right now, and if I see 1 more dns cache corrupting Netgear i'm punching someone.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
linksys (and all routers) has a feature called MAC address filtering. Use it. Every wireless device has a MAC address which is unique. The router will only connect to the following MAC addresses. The MAC address should be on the back of your wireless card. Use that, and then set a wireless encryption password and turn it on wpa if you can...Seriously there should not be that big of an issue w/ the linksys router. they sell so many of those that they make them pretty easy to work with. I agree with the reset theory. that the router reset itself to factory default
best.advice.ever

poppAwoody

C colon enter
May 23, 2006
LI, New York
I have one and never had a problem but not saying its the best router. You probably didnt change the login and password and your neighbor just unsecured it, anyway good luck

foyb

Mar 18, 2007
Crawfordsville, IN
Also, don't broadcast your SSID.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I have one and never had a problem but not saying its the best router. You probably didnt change the login and password and your neighbor just unsecured it, anyway good luck
That's what I am thinking. In my area, Comcast installs Linksys routers and sets the admin login and password the same for everyone. I guess this is to make it easy for their tech support. Verizon had a similar dumb approach, as their supplied router defaults to just use the router MAC address as both the network name AND the encryption key for the wireless. I changed all that stuff before the installers had even pulled out of my driveway.

Feb 20, 2007
That's what I am thinking. In my area, Comcast installs Linksys routers and sets the admin login and password the same for everyone. I guess this is to make it easy for their tech support. Verizon had a similar dumb approach, as their supplied router defaults to just use the router MAC address as both the network name AND the encryption key for the wireless. I changed all that stuff before the installers had even pulled out of my driveway.
Prob makes it easy for them just to use a default. And if I worked for them, your damn right I would be driving down roads using the same login and never pay for access. They get a discount on the services, but its always better free.