Fu Nys Dmv

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
I got my car inspected last Wednesday. On Sunday, a pebble or something hit the windshield which resulted in a crack going from one end of the windshield to the other. Had the windshield replaced today. They peeled the inspection sticker off the old windshield & put it on the new one. BUT, when you peel an inspection sticker off the words 'void' appear on it.

Went back to Saturn, figuring the inspection wasn't even a week old, maybe they could just give me a new one. No, the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles will not allow that. I had to pay another $37 to have the fucking car inspected 6 days after it was initially done.

Oh and fuck Saturn too for "discovering" things that for some reason were overlooked when I brought the car in for service. Nothing major, a dirty air filter, low antifreeze - they said the car needed to be winterized - & a "recommended" cleaning & adjusting of the rear brakes to the tune of $173

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I once had a windshield replaced, and they actually cut the section of glass off the old windshield that the sticker was on. They just set it on the dash in the corner of the new windshield. Never had a problem.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
How about just plain old fuck the DMV Period.
good point
good point

Jambi said:
I once had a windshield replaced, and they actually cut the section of glass off the old windshield that the sticker was on. They just set it on the dash in the corner of the new windshield. Never had a problem.
with my luck, I'd get pulled over by a cop needing to make his quota & get nailed for it not being affixed to the windshield. I thought about just letting the old sticker go, but again, I didn't want to take the chance of getting a ticket and then going through the hassle of fighting it.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
In PA if they can save the old stickers so that you can read the serial
numbers on them I can issue replacement stickers without doing a
complete reinspection.
State saftey inspection reissue is only $2 plus tax and the Emission
sticker will set you back $10 plus tax.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
None of that annual inspection shit out here in Indy. One more reason to be happy I left New Tax York behind.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
In PA if they can save the old stickers so that you can read the serial
numbers on them I can issue replacement stickers without doing a
complete reinspection.
State saftey inspection reissue is only $2 plus tax and the Emission
sticker will set you back $10 plus tax.
I wouldn't have minded if they said that there was a reissue fee. That would've been understandable, in a way. But to have to run the entire thing all over again? ESPECIALLY when it was done 6 days ago.

I think that's what bothers me the most about the whole thing. It wasn't done a month ago. It was done a week ago.

THP - the state's getting worse. You're lucky to be out of here.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
None of that bullshit to deal with in Florida either. No need to get my truck "winterized" either. :)

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
none here in cali either, but if the kaiser finds out about them, he will bring them here too. we only have biannual smog checks

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
I wouldn't have minded if they said that there was a reissue fee. That would've been understandable, in a way. But to have to run the entire thing all over again? ESPECIALLY when it was done 6 days ago.

I think that's what bothers me the most about the whole thing. It wasn't done a month ago. It was done a week ago.

THP - the state's getting worse. You're lucky to be out of here.
It's uncanny... I keep getting e-mails from all of my old friends, family and co-workers back on Long Island. Every one of them is the same...

"You got out just in time."

What the hell is going on over there? I swear... it sounds like doom and gloom.

None of that bullshit to deal with in Florida either. No need to get my truck "winterized" either. :)
QFT. But that's why you can't drive 5 miles without seeing a brokedown piece of shit on the roadside here in FL. At least when I lived up north I knew that the vehicle approaching me in the oncoming lane at 65 mph was looked at by a professional mechanic at least once in the past year.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
It's uncanny... I keep getting e-mails from all of my old friends, family and co-workers back on Long Island. Every one of them is the same...

"You got out just in time."

What the hell is going on over there? I swear... it sounds like doom and gloom.
They're so right. There are days when I just want to pack up & leave and to hell with my pension. But what's wrong? Let's see - both Nassau & Suffolk are being overrun by illegal immigrants for one thing. Both counties are being taxed like crazy - property taxes are off the wall. School taxes are being raised as well - mostly to support the influx of illegals who are sending registering their children (my mom works in the administration office of our school district. She said that every day there are at least 50 people who speak no English and have no proof of residency trying to register their children. Some of the schools have resorted to using trailers to deal with the overload). I could go on, but neither of us have that much time.

NoSurviivors said:
Your dealer is an ass too.
lol - ya think?
I made the mistake of adding the maintenance fees to the extended warranty when I bought the car. Basically I paid for maintenance up front. I keep saying I'm going to bring the car to a different dealer, but this one is close to the courthouse which makes it really convenient.

PCLoadLetter

Crinkle Crinkle!
None of that annual inspection shit out here in Indy. One more reason to be happy I left New Tax York behind.
Don't forget the "no front license plate to wreck the nose of your swoopy car" thing, too. Same with FL.

Though if you are driving a car IN Florida that is tagged in a state that DOES have a front plate (like NY), and you have REMOVED that plate to be less of a target in a no-front-plate state, a crochety Daytona cop can still issue you an expensive summons for failure to display said plate.

Trust me.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Don't forget the "no front license plate to wreck the nose of your swoopy car" thing, too. Same with FL.

Though if you are driving a car IN Florida that is tagged in a state that DOES have a front plate (like NY), and you have REMOVED that plate to be less of a target in a no-front-plate state, a crochety Daytona cop can still issue you an expensive summons for failure to display said plate.

Trust me.
Crotchety Daytona cops will issue you a summons for everything, including going above the speed limit on A1A.

I cried ... first time I ever pulled that stunt. He had a heart after all. :icon_redf

PCLoadLetter

Crinkle Crinkle!
Crotchety Daytona cops will issue you a summons for everything, including going above the speed limit on A1A.

I cried ... first time I ever pulled that stunt. He had a heart after all. :icon_redf
The coinky-dink is that I was pulled over for the "failure to display plate" thing on A1A (actually pulled over on the beach, the "offense" was apparently having NY plates on A1A and the rest just snowballed), and received a tongue-lashing for my expired NYS registration and.... *drumroll*... The top-to-bottom crack in my windshield caused by a flying stone. I didn't cry, but I also didn't show remorse so I got the summons.

I was a FL resident at the time (in college in Daytona) and had yet to switch over to a FL registration. When I finally made the switch, my car insurance dropped by 2/3.

In Ma. they peel the sticker off and it leaves that 'void' on it, but they have a backing strip that looks like packing tape that says "windshield replacement" on it that they use to stick the sticker to the new windshield...no biggy here

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Ok I am a dumbass and I am wondering what an inspection sticker is and why you have to get one. Why is it that a valid sticker can't be transfered from one vehicle to another? I know here in Ohio in certain counties you have to get an emission test done before renewing your registration, is that the same thing?

Ok I am a dumbass and I am wondering what an inspection sticker is and why you have to get one. Why is it that a valid sticker can't be transfered from one vehicle to another? I know here in Ohio in certain counties you have to get an emission test done before renewing your registration, is that the same thing?
When I lived on Long Island, I was going to go get a New York tag because my insurance switched anyway.

However, I realized how much of a hassle it would be. Here are the things they check for during an inspection:

ITEMS INSPECTED ON CARS & LIGHT TRUCKS

Seat Belts

Inspect for proper operation and anchorage.

Model years 1969 and newer - one seat belt is required for each seating position
Model years 1967 and 1968 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included), and one seat belt is required for each seating position elsewhere in the vehicle
Model years 1965 and 1966 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included)
Your vehicle's Air Bag Warning Lamp will be checked for proper operation. You will be informed if the vehicle's air bag warning lamp is on or is not working. This is an advisement only and not cause for rejection.

Brakes

At least one front wheel must be removed to inspect the brakes.

Brake pedal reserve - brake pedal must have 1/3 reserve
Brake pedal fade - brake must hold for one minute without fading
Power brake unit - check for proper operation
Brake master cylinder - check for leakage and proper fluid level
Disc brake pads - check condition
Drum brake linings - thickness of linings must be at least 1/16 inch on bonded linings or at least 1/32 inch over rivet head on riveted linings, with no loose or missing rivets or lining
Brake drums and/or rotors - check condition
Wheel cylinders and/or calipers - check for leakage
All brake lines and hoses - check for leaks, cracks, chafing, restrictions, and improper support
Parking brake - check for components and function
Brake equalization - test vehicle for a straight stop without significant wheel pull
Steering, Front End, Suspension, Chassis, Frame & Wheel Fasteners

Front end assembly - check condition

Steering wheel play - check for excessive freeplay
All steering linkage - check for tightness or binding, excessive wear and/or looseness in parts, including idler arm, center control arm, tie-rod ends, drag link ends, steering and pitman arms, gear box, cross shafts, bushings, wheel bearings, steering column or steering wheel shaft mounting
Power steering - check operation, condition of belt, and for leakage
Shock absorbers - check shock mountings and for broken or missing shock absorbers
Springs and torsion bars - check for sagging or broken springs, or a broken, disconnected, missing or bent torsion or stabilizer bar
Chassis/frame - check for breaks, cracks, or severe rust at the suspension attachment points
Wheel fasteners - check for missing or broken parts
Tires

(Except spare)

Tread depth - must be at least 2/32 inch when measured in two adjacent major tread grooves showing the most wear
Tire condition - check for any fabric break or cut over the length or width of 1 inch, visible bumps, bulges or knots, and any restricted use designation on the tire
Tire pressure - You will be informed if the vehicle's tire pressure in not within the manufacturer's recommendation. This is an advisement only, and not cause for rejection.
Lights

All lighting must be of an approved type and inspected for operation, proper mounting, and broken or missing lenses. Side marker lamps, parking lamps, and additional flashing turning lamps mounted on the side of the vehicle are not inspected.

Headlights (low and high beam)
Tail lamps
Stop lamps
Directional signals
Backup lights (1969 and newer)
License plate lights
Hazard warning/four-way flasher (1966 and newer)
Directional signal indicator
Windshield And Other Glass

No crack of 11 inches long or longer is allowed if any part of the crack is within the area cleared by the windshield wiper.

Windshield - check for presence and condition
All windows - approved safety glass or rigid plastic and condition
Windshield Wipers And Blades

(Not including rear window or headlamp wipers)

Wipers - check for presence and operation
Blades - check condition
Horn

Check mounting and operation

Mirrors

Check mirror locations for proper mounting, cracks, breaks, and/or discoloration:

Model year 1970 and newer - must have a left outside mirror and an inside mirror, or both left and right outer mirrors
Model year 1968 and newer - must have a left outside mirror
1967 and older - must have one mirror that is either an inside mirror or a left outside mirror
Note: Any vehicle that has a permanent obstruction of the view through the rear window (Example: a truck or van) must have both a left-side mirror and a right-side outside mirror.

Fuel Leaks

Any fuel leak that causes dripping or pooling is not acceptable.
Also, an Emissions test is needed.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Sure am glad that I don't live in a money grubbing county that knows how to mind its own fucking business.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Sure am glad that I don't live in a money grubbing county that knows how to mind its own fucking business.
it's a money grubbing state I live in, as well as county. Both are taxing people to death. It's a disgrace